Church Next To Harmindar Sahib

Bundha

This is done on a regualar basis i think about every 10 years or so, although I hear that there are now filters fitted so may not need to do this anymore which means this sewa has been lost to all gursikhs.

It is done, I believe, to remove silt and mud that accummulates over time, so the sarovar is drained and those lucky gursikhs make their way into the sarovar and make human chains to remove the silt and mud. Also they collect the many many gold coins, rings etc that sangat throw in the sarovar.

Question - the small arches that can be seen all along the causeway that are normally covered by the sarover - is this just design or is there a reason for them ?

The British were on the outside planning where this will go and how they will do that

Than suddenly from the sky a bright light came blinding everyone this shocked the British as it was the middle of the day

They became frightened and left there plans to turn Sri hamandir sahib into a church

I don't think there was any concrete plan by british to take over darbar sahib.That lightning incident happened during Mahraja Ranjit Singh time.. It was evening time during monsoon season with heavy thunderstorms, one lightning/bijla came down to the darbarsahib main diwan hall thru window but didn't struck anything.. stayed for few seconds and exited thru other door.. (description of this happening is mentioned in plaque on top of the door before entering diwan hall.

Kar sewa of darbar sahib sarovar happens after every 100 years. Due to state sponsored BlueStar attack on darbar sahib, kar sewa was ordered in 1984 (we all know that sewa of this sarovar was much needed because sarovar got filled with innocent sikh sangat's blood and bodies during the massacre led attack by army. Kar sewa in 2004 was done in order to install filter sponsored by Tut Brothers of California. However, it turned out (from opinions of sewadars of darbar sahib) that those filters didn't bring much change...

I don't think there was any concrete plan by british to take over darbar sahib.That lightning incident happened during Mahraja Ranjit Singh time.. It was evening time during monsoon season with heavy thunderstorms, one lightning/bijla came down to the darbarsahib main diwan hall thru window but didn't struck anything.. stayed for few seconds and exited thru other door.. (description of this happening is mentioned in plaque on top of the door before entering diwan hall.

Veer, it happened in 1877, long after Maharaja Ranjit Singh. The plaque's title is Kudrati Chamatkar.

dsc01084vw5.jpg

Thanks for posting up the picture of the description of bijli chamtkar @ sri darbar sahib.. Do you have finer close-up version of that?

What is that guy in the picture in post 7 doing exactly (the one squatting down)? What is that thing on his shoulder?

I found that picture under Punjab's finest pehalvan album (posted by someone online). I believe it is ancient form of weight lifting.

When I went to Harmandar Sahib last year I took some pics but can't find them.

However Freed had made a video of it where someone in the background reads the notice:

http://video.google....87673&hl=en-GB#

There was another pic, but it is not there on the net anymore. Luckily I had saved it, here it is

34xfhn9.jpg

Google are going to remove all their videos.

Please download the video here. :)

I found that picture under Punjab's finest pehalvan album (posted by someone online). I believe it is ancient form of weight lifting.

Thanks for explaining.

What about the Mandirs that have started building around Harmandar Sahib.

I believe that there was a time when greedy mahants were taking all sangat's money and started finding new ways to attract more and more visitors... They were fully protected by british administration and under their wing they brought murti and other hindu dharam related stuff inside darbar sahib and started more stuff like "Charaava/Donation". Sikh activists started movement against this and grab the root - "British". The started many morchay where hundreds were killed but at last british had to give up and hand over keys of all gurdwaras to newly established SGPC. That moment was called "Chaabeeyaan da morcha" and i believe master singh was the person who took all chabbeeyaan from british official and later all mahants were kicked out of all gurdwara sahibs property in lahore, amritsar and all other places. Maybe after these mahants got kicked out from darbar sahib, they probably built that exact copy of darbar sahib called durgiana mandir in amritsar (a mile or two away from darbar sahib complex). I know that later on they went thru many troubles including diseases and stink from their stalled water.. From local ppl, they told me that one time this mandir requested darbar sahib to send few portion of blessed jal from darbar sahib sarovar to their mandir..

Right now there is one mandir inside extremely cramped room (Only murti fits inside as i believe) and that is way out of way from darbar sahib's complex. Other mandir is copy of sri darbar sahib and created sometime in early 1900's (durgiana mandir) but far away from harmandir sahib.

However there was sri chand (uddasi) worship place inside the *outer* complex of sri darbar sahib with one corner (main entrance) opening from darbar sahib's parkarma.. That entry was sealed before we were born and jal/shabeel (water drinking) system was placed on that spot. That worship place is is still there but situated outside of darbar sahib main complex but accessible from outside, just like when you visit books shop include Punjab and sindh bank (though not situated in prime spot, often new visitor won't see that at all). You will find that place if you walk down from jorha ghar towards saraan (hostel).

However there was sri chand (uddasi) worship place inside the *outer* complex of sri darbar sahib with one corner (main entrance) opening from darbar sahib's parkarma.. That entry was sealed before we were born and jal/shabeel (water drinking) system was placed on that spot. That worship place is is still there but situated outside of darbar sahib main complex but accessible from outside, just like when you visit books shop include Punjab and sindh bank (though not situated in prime spot, often new visitor won't see that at all). You will find that place if you walk down from jorha ghar towards saraan (hostel).

Is there any information on who commissioned this, and when it was built. I'm interested as you mentioned the main enterance was from Darbar Sahibs parkarma. Is there also any information on why it was sealed up and who carried that out.

Many thanks.