Horses Used By The Sikhs

I know a Singh who recently came to California who also happens to be from baba bidhi chand dal family.. If some cali Sikh rancher want to keep history intact then it is much easier considering if import process is easy.

No need to import. There are plenty of quality Polish and Egyptian line Arabi horses in USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some sad news over the weekend, my massars horse, shown in post #86, has died. She wasnt eating for 2 or 3 days, and sadly she hasnt survived, and a double whammy is that she was expected to foal in 3 or 4 months.

The very first horse i had ever been on in my life, and the horse that has actually got me interested in horses.

Had some sad news over the weekend, my massars horse, shown in post #86, has died. She wasnt eating for 2 or 3 days, and sadly she hasnt survived, and a double whammy is that she was expected to foal in 3 or 4 months.

The very first horse i had ever been on in my life, and the horse that has actually got me interested in horses.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, always hard to love a beloved animal that is so close to the owner.

It could have very well been colic. (digestion problems when a horse eats too much with little water)

Will post a link when I get back to how to avoid it and what to do if it occurs.

• 5 weeks later...

Will try to read this soon, will be hard since there's no translation! This seems very promising. I'm really excited that this exists! :)

Ghorian Di Hikma (Knowledge/wisdom of horses)

http://www.panjabdig...&Searched=horse

Good condition Gurmukhi script hard bound book on horses (365 pages). (written by a Sikh, not sure what year, i don't think it's written.) The book seems very old nonetheless.

Picture unrelated to the book:

010_007133__Miniature%20of%20a%20Horse.jpg

Good find Singh 559!!

it says sammat 1910 so that is about what, 1850?

also i will get a friend to read the urdu pages as my urdu isnt good enough to read that.

by the way, "hikmat" means truth doesnt it ? and "khidmat" means service. isnt it a strange title Ghorian di Hikmat?

Good find Singh 559!!

it says sammat 1910 so that is about what, 1850?

also i will get a friend to read the urdu pages as my urdu isnt good enough to read that.

by the way, "hikmat" means truth doesnt it ? and "khidmat" means service. isnt it a strange title Ghorian di Hikmat?

Great, I think I can do this as well. I know someone who knows Urdu.

It's an Arabic word that means wisdom from what i googled.

• 10 months later...

What's the best place to source 1-2 suitable breed horses (colt/filly) in north India (or south I suppose), for the purposes of regular long distance riding? Do nihangs keep good horses or are they just for novelty/show? Are punjabi 'stud farms' reliable? The budget is very low, this horse is required for a new self sustainable community being set up which is trying to live entirely off a small patch of land and on food and goods generated within the community (no outside goods whatsoever from clothes to consumer goods). The horse will be trained for western riding (bitless if it can be done) and will be used by a sikh for regular transport for personal activities as well as parchar throughout india ('udasis'). The community does not normally use paper money (they barter), they will have to sell their produces to raise cash- so budget is low. This will not be for novelty purposes. Please help.

Also, from this thread it would seem that horseback riding and/or keeping horses it somewhat of a novelty activity thus poor quality breeding/health and unrealistically high prices for anything half decent. Why isn't the horse more kept and used in India like it is in the USA?