I Need Advice How To Stop This

Guest Stupid fake sikh

Guest Stupid fake sikh

Dear sangat.

I have been into sikhi since I was young, I am 20 now. I then cut my dhari and took up drinking due to university life.

How do I stop drinking? I have tried many many times this past year I went two months without drinking then I went out and had a beer with a friend!!

what do I do to stop? its runing my career prospects, family, friends, and personal intimate life! what do I do to stop drinking?

I try to read bani as much as I can i listen to kirtan soo much BUT I go out with friends and i then have a drink

what the hell do I do to stop??????????????????????

If I carry on drinking I will either do something too far, if I dont remember the whole night when I go out because of drinking soo much how do I know what I am doing? I got into a fight the other day and i did not know till friends told me, if i dont remember i could even accidently kill someone? because i am not aware of what I am doing.

please sangat help me on this i need to stop.

pls advice

I want to get back into sikhi.

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh Singh Sahib jeeo,

Firstly, please do ardas to maharaj to stop and take a hukamnama, this is the driving force behind all good coming into your life. Try to understand and follow what it says.

Secondly, its an absolute MUST to stop hanging around with those who drink and follow a non gursikhi lifestyle. This is Guru Sahibs HUKAM:

MANMUKH SETI DOSTI, THORIRIYAAN DIN CHAAR||

(Friendship with Manmukhs last only few days. It is not permanent)

ISS PREETI TUTDEE VILAM NA HOVAYEE, ITT DOSTI CHALAN VIKAAR||

(It does not take long for the love bond with Manmukh to break. Friendship with Manmukh triggers bad habits and sins i.e. bikaar)

JINAAN ANDAR SACHE KA BHAO NAAHI, NAAM NA KAREH PYAAR||

(Ones who don’t have fear for Vaheguru and ones who don’t have love for Naam)

NANAK, TINN SIYON KYA KEECHAI DOSTI, JE AAP BHULAAYE KARTAR||

(Guru Nanak Sahib says, what is the point in doing friendship with such people – as described in the pankiti above – who have been misled on the wrong path by Vaheguru, due to their bad karams) (Ang 587)

Instead of these kinds of people you should hang out with Gursikhs who are dedicated to Sikhi and instead of giving you bad habits will spread some of their good on to you. At the end of the day the mates you have now only care about the good time they can get out of you now, they don't care about when you're going to be having the crap kicked out of you by the jamdoots, partly because when its that time they'll be busy having the same done to them.

On the other hand sangat of Gursikhs now is in itself baikunth (heaven), can you imagine the benefit it will have for you in the afterlife?

Its very simple what needs to be done, the first is ardas and hukamnama and secondly changing your sangat. And choose wisely, even so called Gursikhs in bana can be just as bad an influence, just in a different way. You need to find sincere Gursikhs who are attached to Guru Sahib's feet (Naam and bani).

I am just a keera, but please feel free to message me.

Guest RavindaSingh

Learn to have self restraint Bhaji and find some good sangat what is goin to help u if u hang around with wolves than u will howl like one. You also need to do ardas to vaheguru to give you the strength to stop these things which will only make u do foolish acts. U take one step to Guru Maharaj they will take hundred upon thousands of steps to u. Do naam jap or Sri mool mantar jaap like they're doing on this site :) and do things gradually as you cannot achieve without learning first, hope this helps

I see alot of Sikhs with a putka or dastaar goin out clubbing and drinkin in uni but... I suppose they got their own life to live :/

Glad your tryin to change that though :D

Guest northern

which city are you from? maybe we can get you in touch with good sangat or singhs who can help you .................being in their company would help you

you have the power to fix your life. God is always with you, never lose faith ji

do Va He Gu Ru simran , this will cut thru the thoughts and provide positive energy to ur life. connect with Guruji by reading GUrbani, even if its english translations, try to understand the message Guruji is giving to us and purpose of human life.

stay away from bad influences, keep thinking and understanding that you really need to change your life totally, we only get this life once and if you waste it then you will only suffer

Dont think you will change ur habits i just one wink of an eye. It would be long process the very first step you can take is replace alcohol with some kind of fruit juice without changing any thing else and slowly move ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Love God

Dont think you will change ur habits i just one wink of an eye. It would be long process the very first step you can take is replace alcohol with some kind of fruit juice without changing any thing else and slowly move ahead.

I don't agree with the post above mine. I drank and smoked heavily for years, furthermore I'm female so there was even more risk with me of being kicked out etc, so I really was on it/ felt like I couldn't live without the stuff.

I could drink any guy I knew under the table and I did just that.Regardless I used to go home drunk crying to Guru Nanak(His picture which had stopped smiling at me and now only frowned) begging for Him to make me stop.

Then one day I looked at Guru Nanak's picture, vowed to stop, but didn't. I went back to his Picture begging for forgiveness vowing to end it. And I did. I did amrit vela for a week (naam simran, I have no words for the expereince- it was beyond amazing, the nasha felt kicked alcohol and smoking's asses times a trillion) ) started getting darshans straight away, in dreams and in real life so went past the point of going back.

I have not touched anything since but I know I was definately hooked.

Trust me if I could do it, anyone could. Good luck and god bless.

Guest guptbhenji

WJKK WJKF

well done bhenji Love-God poster for giving up all the bad things, it is truly an amazing story of yours which is real.

Very touched by reading it, especially the bit where Guruji would frown instead of smiling that happens to me too, for a long time now when i cry in front of them too.

U have given me inspiration that waheguruji will help. Its long process but one can only but try.

thankuji

• 7 years later...
Guest "OG" to Dr. G.

I abused alcohol marijuana and then eventually cocaine too. The first two for 15 years and the last one randomly for 2 years. I was doing all of this to combat the PTSD i had from being raised by a physically and verbally abusive father who wears a turban and beard(one of the reasons I hated the idea of looking like a Sikh). However I have finally quit and the others above me made it very clear and they are absolutely right that you MUST MUST MUST change your friends. Every single friendship I have ever made with a manmukh including with my siblings and cousins as well as friends have all ended as all have abondoned me because they dont like a person who is always seeking and speaking the truth as they prefer to stay as they are and live the consumerism rat race. What helped me accept the pain of abandonment and understand why I became addicted was Gurbani and psychology which we take in medical school. I went to a caribbean medical school and took 10 years to graduate because I was continuosly battling the PTSD's intrusive thoughts and the extreme anger that i felt because i didnt see any justice for such abuse (my father beat me at least once a week, always swearing and yelling and belittling me, and everyone around me said its okay he is my father). So of course if my mind was severely mentally disturbed i couldnt focus on anything such as school, or social interactions, and i hated authority, all of which led to social problems(beef fights charges), legal problems(assaults and vandalism and even theft for the kick of hurting society back for not caring about me, and so on. Oh yes I was first homeless at age 8 when my dad kicked me out for saying a swear word which i learned from him and was actually my first word. Anyway man, Truth loving Gurmuks and Bani are the only friends you will ever need besides your best friend Guru Ji. Manmuks are users, abusers, haters, jealous, envious, gossipers, drug abusers, over indulgers, greedy, superficial, materialistic, so please please please avoid them, but dont hate them, they are Gods creation as well but Guru Ji has led them astray to suffer for past Karma.