Why Do We Read Baani ?

Which part of my post that you've quoted even hinted at your above reply?

Unless you were just making a general point in which case there was no need to quote me.

Singh, you have to be very careful in making sweeping statements about Sikhi and Gurbani

PS : Let us please stick to the point ... Members try to make me feel that Gurbani is not ordinary poetry !

Singh, you have to be very careful in making sweeping statements about Sikhi and Gurbani

PS : Let us please stick to the point ... Members try to make me feel that Gurbani is not ordinary poetry !

Why don't you "stick to the point" and allow the discussion - that you started - to evolve? When someone asks you a question to justify yourself, you wheel out the classic "Stick to the point" line. Just because you don't appreciate Gurbani, that doesn't give you carte blanche to denigrate it as "just poetry" and then attempt to dress it up as a naive search for answers on your part.

Why should anyone try to convince you of anything? Who out of us on here really has the answers to anything? Its faith. You either believe - after reading and digesting Gurbani - or you don't.

I don't know why you have this mistaken belief that if someone on this website can't answer your obtuse queries about Sikhi, that somehow means Sikhi is false.

Why don't you "stick to the point" and allow the discussion - that you started - to evolve? When someone asks you a question to justify yourself, you wheel out the classic "Stick to the point" line. Just because you don't appreciate Gurbani, that doesn't give you carte blanche to denigrate it as "just poetry" and then attempt to dress it up as a naive search for answers on your part.

Why should anyone try to convince you of anything? Who out of us on here really has the answers to anything? Its faith. You either believe - after reading and digesting Gurbani - or you don't.

I don't know why you have this mistaken belief that if someone on this website can't answer your obtuse queries about Sikhi, that somehow means Sikhi is false.

O I am sorry , I pressed somebody's buttons ! rolleyes.gif

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal,

Dear all and SarabjeetS Jee,

You seem to be a true seeker. You may search and find any form of the word 'read' in Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee. The Guru nowhere suggests reaching God by reading. Rather all the true Gurus confirm that truth is not reached by reading anything.

Reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is a business (dhandha) run by the preachers.

Balbir Singh

what happens if we read bani and what happens if we don't ? I was very enthusiastic in the beginning , but now I have become really skeptical about things !

I always hear people say that we should read bani and all , but no body told me why ! Some people say its ilahi bani ( god's words ) , but now I am having a hard time believing that assertion ! Whenever I look at it logically , I find it no different than ordinary poetry ....

Can someone tell me whats wrong ?

Sarbajeet ji, are you implying you have been reading Gurbani, without trying to understand the meaning of the message?Have you been reading the Bani as an obligation or ritual rather than a loving joyful act of communion between yourself and Guru Maharaj. There are many learned Gursikhs who can via audio,literary ,or personal communication share their understanding of the Liberating Knowledge of Guruji's Shabad removing ignorance , only you can make the effort to search. If you truly try to understand the message in a thorough study and allow the Bani to penetrate your heart then you will fully appreciate the immense treasure house of the Guru's Kirpa of Blessing us with Gurbani/Naam.

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 335

gauVI ]

gourree ||

Gauree:

eyk joiq eykw imlI ikMbw hoie mhoie ]

eaek joth eaekaa milee ki(n)baa hoe mehoe ||

When one light merges into another, what becomes of it then?

ijqu Git nwmu n aUpjY PUit mrY jnu soie ]1]

jith ghatt naam n oopajai foott marai jan soe ||1||

That person, within whose heart the Lord's Name does not well up - may that person burst and die! ||1||

swvl suMdr rwmeIAw ]

saaval su(n)dhar raameeaa ||

O my dark and beautiful Lord,

myrw mnu lwgw qoih ]1] rhwau ]

maeraa man laagaa thohi ||1|| rehaao ||

my mind is attached to You. ||1||Pause||

swDu imlY isiD pweIAY ik eyhu jogu ik Bogu ]

saadhh milai sidhh paaeeai k eaehu jog k bhog ||

Meeting with the Holy, the perfection of the Siddhas is obtained. What good is Yoga or indulgence in pleasures?

duhu imil kwrju aUpjY rwm nwm sMjogu ]2]

dhuhu mil kaaraj oopajai raam naam sa(n)jog ||2||

When the two meet together, the business is conducted, and the link with the Lord's Name is established. ||2||

logu jwnY iehu gIqu hY iehu qau bRhm bIcwr ]

log jaanai eihu geeth hai eihu tho breham beechaar ||

People believe that this is just a song, but it is a meditation on God.

ijau kwsI aupdysu hoie mwns mrqI bwr ]3]

jio kaasee oupadhaes hoe maanas marathee baar ||3||

It is like the instructions given to the dying man at Benares. ||3||

koeI gwvY ko suxY hir nwmw icqu lwie ]

koee gaavai ko sunai har naamaa chith laae ||

Whoever sings or listens to the Lord's Name with conscious awareness

khu kbIr sMsw nhI AMiq prm giq pwie ]4]1]4]55]

kahu kabeer sa(n)saa nehee a(n)th param gath paae ||4||1||4||55||

- says Kabeer, without a doubt, in the end, he obtains the highest status. ||4||1||4||55||

i once had a hindu guy say to me that gurbani is just poetry not the ultimate truth... then i was at kirtan and these lines came up... :) thats the power guru ji has... other religious scriptures talk of god...when we read gurbani we talk to god. ever taken a hukamnama... its like guru ji talking directly to you...

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 335

gauVI ]

gourree ||

Gauree:

eyk joiq eykw imlI ikMbw hoie mhoie ]

eaek joth eaekaa milee ki(n)baa hoe mehoe ||

When one light merges into another, what becomes of it then?

ijqu Git nwmu n aUpjY PUit mrY jnu soie ]1]

jith ghatt naam n oopajai foott marai jan soe ||1||

That person, within whose heart the Lord's Name does not well up - may that person burst and die! ||1||

swvl suMdr rwmeIAw ]

saaval su(n)dhar raameeaa ||

O my dark and beautiful Lord,

myrw mnu lwgw qoih ]1] rhwau ]

maeraa man laagaa thohi ||1|| rehaao ||

my mind is attached to You. ||1||Pause||

swDu imlY isiD pweIAY ik eyhu jogu ik Bogu ]

saadhh milai sidhh paaeeai k eaehu jog k bhog ||

Meeting with the Holy, the perfection of the Siddhas is obtained. What good is Yoga or indulgence in pleasures?

duhu imil kwrju aUpjY rwm nwm sMjogu ]2]

dhuhu mil kaaraj oopajai raam naam sa(n)jog ||2||

When the two meet together, the business is conducted, and the link with the Lord's Name is established. ||2||

logu jwnY iehu gIqu hY iehu qau bRhm bIcwr ]

log jaanai eihu geeth hai eihu tho breham beechaar ||

People believe that this is just a song, but it is a meditation on God.

ijau kwsI aupdysu hoie mwns mrqI bwr ]3]

jio kaasee oupadhaes hoe maanas marathee baar ||3||

It is like the instructions given to the dying man at Benares. ||3||

koeI gwvY ko suxY hir nwmw icqu lwie ]

koee gaavai ko sunai har naamaa chith laae ||

Whoever sings or listens to the Lord's Name with conscious awareness

khu kbIr sMsw nhI AMiq prm giq pwie ]4]1]4]55]

kahu kabeer sa(n)saa nehee a(n)th param gath paae ||4||1||4||55||

- says Kabeer, without a doubt, in the end, he obtains the highest status. ||4||1||4||55||

i once had a hindu guy say to me that gurbani is just poetry not the ultimate truth... then i was at kirtan and these lines came up... :) thats the power guru ji has... other religious scriptures talk of god...when we read gurbani we talk to god. ever taken a hukamnama... its like guru ji talking directly to you...

Friend , I have taken hukamnama many times ... many times I got my answers and sometimes it was not obvious ... Once someone similarly challenged me , a hindu guy , who told me your Guru was a vishnu worshipper .... I did not knew how to answer ... so I took hukamnama after ardas ( in which I asked Guruji to tell me who is his god , whom he worshipped ) and these lines came up in hukamnama ....

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ

गउड़ी महला १ ॥

Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 1.

Gauree, First Mehl:

ਗੁਰ

गुर परसादी बूझि ले तउ होइ निबेरा ॥

Gur parsādī būjẖ le ṯa▫o ho▫e niberā.

By Guru's Grace, one comes to understand, and then, the account is settled.

ਘਰਿ ॥੧॥

घरि घरि नामु निरंजना सो ठाकुरु मेरा ॥१॥

Gẖar gẖar nām niranjanā so ṯẖākur merā. ||1||

In each and every heart is the Name of the Immaculate Lord; He is my Lord and Master. ||1||

ਬਿਨੁ

बिनु गुर सबद न छूटीऐ देखहु वीचारा ॥

Bin gur sabaḏ na cẖẖūtī▫ai ḏekẖhu vīcẖārā.

Without the Word of the Guru's Shabad, no one is emancipated. See this, and reflect upon it.

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%9C%E0%A9%87" ;="" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); ">ਜੇ ਲਖ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਹੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਅੰਧਿਆਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

जे लख करम कमावही बिनु गुर अंधिआरा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Je lakẖ karam kamāvahī bin gur anḏẖi▫ārā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

Even though you may perform hundreds of thousands of rituals, without the Guru, there is only darkness. ||1||Pause||