How Much Gurbani Should A Person Recite Daily

mirror

WJKK WJKF

I am a Gursikh boy and i am really confused about one thing. How much Gurbani should be recited daily. Presently i do only Nitnem.

As i am software engineer , so when ever i have free time , i have to learn the new programming stuff to keep me updated in my career

But there are my friends , who do their work and in free time , i mean in weekends , they recite Gurbani as much as possible.

Now my career is like that i have to spend time on learning. Does Guru ji want their sikh to always recite Gurbani , do nothing to advance in career.

I am confused.

When i see my friends , then i think that they are lucky to have that profession because , they do physical work and even recite gurabni while working .

But My work is entirely Mind based and thinking , so when i do coding , i can't recite GUrbani.

Does it mean that my friends will go faster in GOD's path and i will stay behind because i am programmer.

Can anyone shed light on that??

Do your work to the best of your ability and dedicate it to God. Then your work becomes prayer, and brings you closer to God. Sikhi does not teach abandoning the world, but staying pure in the midst of it. Becoming a good programmer helps you fulfill your obligations to your family, parents, coworkers, boss, etc. and is a holy and good thing to do. Do you want a surgeon who does bani all day and then kills you out of his incompetence or a surgeon who does nitnem, and remembering his duty works very hard to become the best surgeon he can and saves you? Who do you think is more pleasing to God?

<br />WJKK WJKF<br /><br />I am a Gursikh boy and i am really confused about one thing. How much Gurbani should be recited daily. Presently i do only Nitnem.<br />As i am software engineer , so when ever i have free time , i have to learn the new programming stuff to keep me updated in my career<br /><br />But there are my friends , who do  their work and in free time , i mean in weekends , they recite Gurbani as much as possible.<br /><br /><br />Now my career is like that i have to spend time on learning. Does Guru ji want their sikh to always recite Gurbani , do nothing to advance in career.<br />I am confused.<br /><br />When i see my friends , then i think that they are lucky to have that profession because , they do physical work and even recite gurabni while working .<br />But My work is entirely Mind based and thinking , so when i do coding , i can't recite GUrbani.<br /><br />Does it mean that my friends will go faster in GOD's path and i will stay behind because i am programmer.<br /><br />Can anyone shed light on that??<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />KhalsaJi<br />Spend at least two and a half hours on Gurbani daily. That leaves you with twenty one and a half hours for other things. Also do Naam Simran. The effects of Namm Simran will be felt even when you're not actively doing Nitnem.<br /><br />Imagine the following scenario.<br /><br />We charge our mobile phones for pne hour but when fully charged the battery lasts for twenty four hours. When we do Naam Simran for one hour , the Anand will last all day long even when you're doing other things.

WJKK WJKF

I am a Gursikh boy and i am really confused about one thing. How much Gurbani should be recited daily. Presently i do only Nitnem.

As i am software engineer , so when ever i have free time , i have to learn the new programming stuff to keep me updated in my career

But there are my friends , who do their work and in free time , i mean in weekends , they recite Gurbani as much as possible.

Now my career is like that i have to spend time on learning. Does Guru ji want their sikh to always recite Gurbani , do nothing to advance in career.

I am confused.

When i see my friends , then i think that they are lucky to have that profession because , they do physical work and even recite gurabni while working .

But My work is entirely Mind based and thinking , so when i do coding , i can't recite GUrbani.

Does it mean that my friends will go faster in GOD's path and i will stay behind because i am programmer.

Can anyone shed light on that??

Dear brother, first of all relax youself...no need to stress yourself. To remember Wahiguru, you need nothing special. Work, possesions, family and friends., health , wealth, are all got by past karmas...that is not called grace. Real grace from Wahiguru is His love and devotion for Him. If one has that, one is really lucky, because this is in the end what we need to go to Him. Do your work, your studies, live your life normally....we have to perform our duties lovingly. If one tries to run away from the world, avoiding one`s duties.....hardly is there going to be any advancement in spirituality, as from some we have to receive and yet to others we have to give. But the thing is, not to get so much absorbed in the world that we forget our real duty in this world, for which He has given us this human birth, and that is none other, than to do our best to go back and merge ourselves in Him. We have to read the Bani, do any Nitnem if possible, but the time factor about which generally the world complains, is just an excuse of our weakness.

For example, you say you have to do your engineer work which keeps your mind busy.... we can just apply the example of the maid, who works in the house of a rich family, takes care of their children, but at the end of the day or the week, she knows for sure that nothing there is her`s... she is just an employee, not the owner, neither of the house nor of the children...she has her own house and children. We too, can have that feeling all the time in our minds and hearts....like whatever I get or do, nothing is mine, evrything is belongs to the one boss, Wahiguru. So in this way, one while being in the world, is not of the world.

Other thing which helps sadh sangat, try to go Gyudwaras as much as possible, and listen the parchar or kathas, listen the Shabads sung by the Bhai Sahibs, if not physically possible, you may listen them online, we have so many websites.... By doing so, a natural bond of love and devotion will be created in you for Wahiguru... such is His mehima, His greatness...nobody is left empty handed. And then by this practice, your hunger and thirst for the Bani, will grow... then you will not complain of lack of time, or that mind is occupied. If you go still further in these practices, you will see....how all your works, of this world as well as of the next world, are taken care by Wahiguru Himself.

Wah, wah, wah.... Wahiguru.

Naam simran is the instruction given to us on just about every page of gurbani. Gurbani says naam is the greatest seva and the reason we were born.

Attuune yourself to the balanced gyan of God(Truth/Satnam/naam) that pervades the universe(is All That Exists). It will detach you from highs and lows, and keep you in this balanced state- apply it throughout every situation in life, the nasha of it is beautiful, with it we are able to handle anything while remaining detached from worldly pleasure and pain, in a high nasha. The more we apply gurbani, ie nirboa and nirvair and attune ourselves to naam/truth, the finer our frequency becomes until we discover the Truth in all it's glory when we deserve it.

Just as sky has no limits....In the same way,naturally in the begining we may limit ourselves in time for the Bani, but the fact is, if one keeps regularity in giving time to it, due to the purity of the words of our Gurus, which are charged with their energy, with the Amrit, there comes a time, that you will feel the need of it at everytime. Even a child has his 5 or 6 feeds a day, but with the Bani our thirst never gets quenched . Slowly and slowly, one dyes in the colour of Nam, with it`s simran. Nobody will tell you or better said, one will not ask what or how much should I do......you yourself will say...I have not got enough... I need more, more and more. It will become as natural as breathing...nay even more. Because even our pranas get their support from Nam. Just because Nam and Namee are same in nature.......so that is why it is said....Toon mero pran adharo, in that way, the Bani becomes the base of our very existence.

With any other worldly things, there are side effects if one goes in excess, but with the Bani, there is no limit..... why?

Because, our sins are countless. So in order to have His grace, His Daya Meher showered on us, we have to please Him. And there in nothing that pleases Him more than, our association with the Bani, with His Nam Simran, because He sees my child is trying to reach me, so He just extends His strong arm and take us out from the fierce Kal`s domain(Bhavsagar) full of maya. But for that we have to be brave take the first step, by falling at His sharan.

Wah sache Badshah!