Proms & Discos ? :S

Guest not sure

I see where your coming from. But it depends on what grounds the OP is asking this question on.

To the OP, if you want to know the answer on gurmat terms the answer is don't, organise your own event with your group of friends whether it be a day trip out shopping, theme park or even better a Kirtan session.

If you are asking in terms of people's opinions then you may as well just go with your own opinion. People are going to tell you different things the majority of people are telling you it's ok.

I could give you heaps of gurmat reasons why you shoudlnt go.

But like I said it depends on why you are asking.

You want my advice, don't go. Most likely in a good few years to come you won't be in touch with your friends. You will prob look back and think what the hell why did I bother...

Do you remember the sakhi where Guru Gobind SIngh Ji stood outside the brothel to stop his Singh from going inside? I am not comparing Prom to Brothel but I am asking you to keep in what kindof activities lead upto prom and happen after prom. Guru Gobind Singh Ji saved that Singh from making a mistake. And now its your turn to think about whether your going to use Guru JI's teachings to stop you from making such mistakes.

Go through everything that happens at prom and ask yourself if Guru JI would approve and if you think Guru JI would, then go for it.

Listen to me.

Gurbani says home is the darkest hell.

It also says that the fool wanders around the countryside when his thoughts are back at home.

Anything outside has got to better than home, who are we to dispute gurbani.

Gurbani basically tells us to live in the darkest hell while remaining detached. There is absolutely no point sitting around in mediatation if you cannott keep up this same meditation in another crap*y scenario.

Atal Awasth is when nothing can shake your psychological state, te gurus were able to sit on hot plates in the midst of people engrossed in the maya filth(moghuls) and still remain detached/psychologically sound.

Do not be foolish in thinking a life time spent practicing Gurbani in safe and couth areas(in a worldly sense) will enable you to become jivan mukht.

To remain detached like the lotus floating above muddy water is the aim of sikhi/Gurbani.

To a gurmukh, pain and pleasure, heaven and hell are the same.

There people on here who claim to be khalsa but whos psychological state can be shaken at the sight of a club or out comfort zones. What is there to be shaken about, God is the club and the strange foreign place.

Tell me where all the warriors are gone? One cannot embrace martyrdom with a weak mentality, we need the spiritual warrior mentality to become true physical warriors or our sacrifice goes in vain- test yourselvesto see if you can maintain complete peace, calm and truth in every single scenario, for that is a true death, the death of self.

Get up and fight yourselves instead of hiding away from the world and practicing sikhi when and where its easy and convenient.

Why don't you ask Guru Sahib? Some say listen to your heart, some say listen to them, why not listen to Guru Sahib? Why ask us? We will definitely have differing opinions on this matter. Some will ask you to NOT shy away from the world, from duniyadaari. Some will ask you to abstain from such situations.

The fact that you posted here means you are unable to decide yourself. Its your life, it will be defined by what choices you make. You got to make up your mind who/what matters the most to you. If it is your friends, then do what they ask you to do. If it is Guru Sahib, then do what Guru Sahib commands. If it is public opinion, then do what makes you look cool. If it is Guru Sahib's Hukam, then abide by it.

No one on this forum will sue you if you go, or if you don't go. No one on this forum will offer you jalebbiyaan or gajrella if you go and come back without a stain, at the same time no one will run after you with a vellna if you go and commit an inappropriate act.

You should have guessed that you're posting on a SIKH forum, NOT a desi or Punjabi one.

Why don't you ask Guru Sahib? Some say listen to your heart, some say listen to them, why not listen to Guru Sahib? Why ask us? We will definitely have differing opinions on this matter. Some will ask you to NOT shy away from the world, from duniyadaari. Some will ask you to abstain from such situations.

The fact that you posted here means you are unable to decide yourself. Its your life, it will be defined by what choices you make. You got to make up your mind who/what matters the most to you. If it is your friends, then do what they ask you to do. If it is Guru Sahib, then do what Guru Sahib commands. If it is public opinion, then do what makes you look cool. If it is Guru Sahib's Hukam, then abide by it.

No one on this forum will sue you if you go, or if you don't go. No one on this forum will offer you jalebbiyaan or gajrella if you go and come back without a stain, at the same time no one will run after you with a vellna if you go and commit an inappropriate act.

You should have guessed that you're posting on a SIKH forum, NOT a desi or Punjabi one.

^^^

Everything i wrote was true gurbani, I cannot claim any of the words as my own.

Read Gurbani and see what it says about a gurmukh being calm and in anand in every single situation. this is the tre war one must wage, the war is not with others, it is with ourselves- it is our choice how much we decide to practice truth and how far we are willing to go to fight ourselves, noone else has a say in it. if one does not see that god is everything and everywhere as gurbani states, that person only has themselves to blame, not a prom or anyone/anything else.

The gurus saw that the moghuls themselves were god, one line states that they were the messenger of death, everything and everyone is Him and nothing else.

* continue from above post...

I'm sure they know where they have asked this question, ie a Sikh forum, but you know what, nothing is to be lost by asking, only a lot to be gained in regards to advise and opinions. What's the point in a forum if one cannot ask and question? Not everyone knows where to look for advise or where to turn for guidance, so if this is where they can ask and have guidance then all the better for this place and all the people who walk away with answers. To the OP, sorry I have not addressed your question but this was something I felt needed to be said.

Peace.

* continue from above post...

I'm sure they know where they have asked this question, ie a Sikh forum, but you know what, nothing is to be lost by asking, only a lot to be gained in regards to advise and opinions. What's the point in a forum if one cannot ask and question? Not everyone knows where to look for advise or where to turn for guidance, so if this is where they can ask and have guidance then all the better for this place and all the people who walk away with answers. To the OP, sorry I have not addressed your question but this was something I felt needed to be said.

Peace.

Sat Bachan jeeo :)

Some people may be at that stage where they can completely shut themselves off from the world, that is great and ultimately is the aim.

However, you do not take into account that there are other people who are on many different levels of spirituality.

Do you give a child a car at the age of 5? Those that are spiritual lower, they must completely avoid places like proms and like social events. Gurmukhs also avoid these social events. I can list off many to you in a heart beat.

Guru Sahib was also amritdhari. Does that mean you have to take amrit straight away?

YOu don't even make a point here by comparing the above and taking Amrit. Taking Amrit is a good thing and going to prom is a bad thing. If a person goes forward in taking Amrit they become the beloved Sikhs of the Guru. If they go to prom then they drifted away from Guru Sahib.

You should work to it, but you cannot suddenly become that sort of person.

When do you start practing the rehat Maryada? After taking Amrit or before taking Amrit. If you look at history (From Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj time to Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj's time) as an example. All the Sikhs started practicing the rehat Maryada before taking Amrit. What does that say about going to prom? Rehat Maryada is there so people can strenghten themselves not to face the world, this is a plus to it, but to build a devotion toward Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj, so their love for Satguru grows strong. Sikhi is not a solution to walk into maya and say i am not affected by it. This is refered as having ego, read about the dieties and see what they were up too. No Sikh in the world can say I am strong enough to go to social events such as prom and not be affected by it. As soon as the Sikh says he or she can, then they have lost themselves in pride and every Gurmukh says the maya that destroys us is pride. They lost the sense of love for Satguru and started speaking of I am....... When you say I am in this way can you serious say i am the dust of the feet of the Saints?

A great mahapursh once said about someone who came to them for blessings that no matter what in this life, this guy will not be able to do naam kamai to the extent that one might say we should. It was not written in his destiny (obviously, there were still good things he could do, such as good deeds, some seva and some mediation).

How does this apply here. Are you saying it's this person destiny to go, when they haven't even gone? And i don't think you should condemn a person to this kind of stuff. Destiny would be it already happened and the person was asking on how to move forward from the guilt. Also you would have to know the person future before stating such things.

What I'm saying is, everybody's journey is different and requires different strategies to adapt to this life.

Satguru gave all of humanity one Rehat Maryada? So which strategies are you speaking of? The nephew of Sant Baba Kartar Singh ji said in his katha that every Sikh has to follow Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj and no one is exempt from following Guru Sahib. And no strategy of Satguru says to attend prom or like social events so they can move forward in Sikhi.

By telling people to repress and shut themselves off from the world, like how so many people do these days can lead to psychological problems and resent. Repressing things can turn people into weirdos, I have seen it happen.

In what way is a person shut themselves off from the world by not going to prom? Do you shut yourself off from the world by not going to manmukhi places or do you move into reality? Yes prom is part of the world, but is it part of the Sikh world? How can you repress something that you don't want to do? Love for Satguru is our focus, not walking into prom and claiming i don't get affected.

To the OP, do what your heart is telling you to do. You are still young. By going, you will see what may be wrong with it (because even I see that it can be a shambles) but at least you will then know, and would have experienced it yourself. If you don't go, you will never know what the fuss was about.

Do you need to see the bad side of life in order to experience it? Satguru is complete, Satguru shows us by just reading Gurbani what the dark side looks like. The separation a person feels from Satguru is enough of a experience to know prom will only drag a person further from Satguru and is a bad experience. Nothing positive can come out of going to prom. Either the person starts to judge others, which translates into ego; thinks they can't be affected, which is ego again; becomes depressed because everyone around them is having fun and they can't because they feel guilty, which is ego again or worst part of all, indulges into the maya and thinks they didn't do anything wrong...worst ego of them all. Whatever way you put it... it leads back to falling into ego.

A lotus flower grows in filth, but doesn't move from one place of filth into another. The lotus keeps its radiance by keeping itself attached to Satguru's feet. Birth can't be avoided, but social events can be.

Listen to me.

Gurbani says home is the darkest hell.

It also says that the fool wanders around the countryside when his thoughts are back at home.

Anything outside has got to better than home, who are we to dispute gurbani.

Gurbani basically tells us to live in the darkest hell while remaining detached. There is absolutely no point sitting around in mediatation if you cannott keep up this same meditation in another crap*y scenario.

Atal Awasth is when nothing can shake your psychological state, te gurus were able to sit on hot plates in the midst of people engrossed in the maya filth(moghuls) and still remain detached/psychologically sound.

Do not be foolish in thinking a life time spent practicing Gurbani in safe and couth areas(in a worldly sense) will enable you to become jivan mukht.

To remain detached like the lotus floating above muddy water is the aim of sikhi/Gurbani.

To a gurmukh, pain and pleasure, heaven and hell are the same.

There people on here who claim to be khalsa but whos psychological state can be shaken at the sight of a club or out comfort zones. What is there to be shaken about, God is the club and the strange foreign place.

Tell me where all the warriors are gone? One cannot embrace martyrdom with a weak mentality, we need the spiritual warrior mentality to become true physical warriors or our sacrifice goes in vain- test yourselvesto see if you can maintain complete peace, calm and truth in every single scenario, for that is a true death, the death of self.

Get up and fight yourselves instead of hiding away from the world and practicing sikhi when and where its easy and convenient.

Read my above post and i'll add something here

I guess you got the Guruship after Satguru's horse didn't go in the the hell of a tabocca field. The hell Satguru points to is the separation a SIkh feels when they find out how far they are from Satguru. This is the darkest hell of all. How can a blind, deaf, and mute person miss the world when they have no clue what it is? To them the world is what they are. So where is the separation for them? And what is hell? The same is said about a person who walks into maya thinking they are not affected by it....they don't know Satguru. Sikhs don't sit in one stop and meditate. They go to work, they go to school, they attend meetings, they go shopping, they volunteer, they go to the gym, etc.