Musical Tune And Tears

Beginner

WJK WJF

1)When we get Vairagg from Gurbani, how much does the tune the Shabad is sung to have to do with it? I know some Shabads just seem more beautifully sung than others, and that can make our eyes water, but what part does the musical tune play in it? I mean our Gurus even told us to sing Shabads in a specific Raag.

Ex, some SONGS even make me want to tear up due to the beauty of the musical tone, such as a country song called "west Virginia ". Lol

2) what about nature? Sometimes if we see a magnificent view or fall in lie with the trees near us, we can possibly tear up as well?

I would say that the tune has a lot to do with, but only if it is in raag and the raag it's supposed to be played in.

Raag gives you a sense of feeling and pleasure to ears and mind coupled with the shabad itself gives you a combination of maha anand. And I feel that when this all connect it's you soul crying to get out of this world, realising the pain it really is in.

Your on the right path when you feel vairaag, but try and keep that state of mind long after you have left the kirtan, ie dont talk to anyone just do Simran

When we get Vairagg from Gurbani, how much does the tune the Shabad is sung to have to do with it?

Have you seen Jaws? the film from the 80s about a shark killing holidaymakers ? The theme tunes to that, appears even when the shark is nowhere to be seen, but the tune and rythem used creates an emotion in your mind of something bad about to happen ie fear. same as is used in horror films. Now try watching the same scene again with the volume off, and see the difference. The tune or notes creates a feeling of a certain emotion in your mind, preparing your for something. It is the same for a horror film, or for Gurmat Sangeet.

Hope that helps.

I had an experienece recently at a wedding. First one I attend at Amrit Vela. During the Anand Karaj after the Giani saab read the Lava tha Paath and Bhai Jagpal Singh (AKJ UK) had the duty of performing the Kirtan, he sang all four lava in such beautiful raag my eyes were just welling up and just pouring away. It was something I could not understand. Normally the girl or the girls side are very emotional, but this time it was a pappi like me pouring my eyes out.......It was an amazing experince......... :waheguru:

I have had a similar experience before, but not really understood why I become so emotional, why I end up crying......?

, but not really understood why I become so emotional, why I end up crying......?

Consider yourself lucky if your heart swells up with emotions and feelings and tears start rolling and falling as you are doing path, keertan, katha, or nitnem. It is a sign that one is coming into a beautiful contact and relationship with Gurujee and your soul is getting permeated with love and sharda. Sadly there are many Sikhs who have a lot of emotions and feelings towards their family but none for Gurujee even though they go through the motions of reading Bani, go to gurdwara etc.

Our Sikhi journey lifts up to higher levels when, through Gurujee’s grace, we start experiencing melting into an inner wetness(bhijheh), involving our heart, mind, emotions and feelings. This is when we begin to touch ras or the true spiritual nectar like-taste and essence that will suddenly make Sikhi insanely animated and aglow deep in us more than ever before!

It is metaphorically like the fruits and flowers in my garden from aubergines to roses. I see the plants growing and everyday I have to look after them, protect them and feed them. Slowly they start producing buds. Then one day, I go into the garden and there are beautiful fragrant smells, colours and shapes everywhere! From honeysuckle flowers to lavender flowers to rose flowers to petunias, geraniums, and magnolias , and even strawberry flowers and ripening juicy red big raspberries and fresh spinach and chillies and aubergines, pumpkins, tinde and tomatoes, etc etc etc!

From a green looking garden suddenly there is blossoming, colour, shapes and smells.

Likewise in Sikhi, Gurbani emphasises over, and over, and over, and over again that Sikhi is not some mental exercise involving repetitions and formulas and dryness of emotion, hardness of heart and unlovingness. Rather, Sikhi brings us into the presence of a very beautiful, caring, mighty and creative, dynamic and all pervading God who shows us His utmost mercy, love and grace. Bani guides us 100% in our conversations with Guru God and Bani breaks our stubbornesss, and melts our hearts and floods them with so much ras, prem, sharda and feelings for God.

Gurbani describes so beautifully how the spiritual garden of our heart will in time blossom, and we will become dyed in deep red permanent ‘rang’ of love and, how, slowly our minds will be lifted up so the words and song of Gurbani and simran ring continously like a heavenly orchestra around us. It requires patience and perseverance.

I remember one birthday when it so happened that I ended up all alone, with just one friend with me for the day. Somehow, family and many friends who normally are with me on a birthday, were all away. This one true friend realised no one else had wished me happy birthday. So, this friend who hardly ever talks, leave alone singing! decided to sing me just one line of ‘happy birthday to you’ a couple of times! That made me feel so loved by this person who felt for me. How much infinitely more does Gurujee feel loved by us when we sing keertan to Gurujee!

Hence keep listening and doing keertan with pyaar and sincerity and try your best to read and understand Gurbani. This will help you feel God’s presence during keertan and help to melt your heart even more which in turn will help you receive even more ras and have more prem bhavna for Gurujee.