Definition Of A Gyani In Today'S Society

_singhni_

Today a giani is someone who has possibly had a little bit of santhiya, read possibly a steek.

Puratan days a giani would have had full santhiya of guru granth sahib ji, sri dasam granth sahib ji arth samet. Bhai gurdas ji vaars kabit sveyeh, nanak parkash suraj parkash, panth parkash, mehma parkash, bhai nand laal jis gazals, rehat nameh. All vedant granths, possi ly the quaran anjeel etc. Basically would have knowledge of every religion and could answer anything. But in puratan days a giani would even with soo much gian, would be engrossed in naam simran. One of the last gianis to haveall these qualities and many many more were sri maan vidiya martand pooran brahm giani sant gurbachan singh ji bhindranvale. They were the giani that even the hindu pandits of kanshi bowed before, as they had utmost gian of everything and at same timr were brahm giani.

Today a giani is someone who has possibly had a little bit of santhiya, read possibly a steek.

Puratan days a giani would have had full santhiya of guru granth sahib ji, sri dasam granth sahib ji arth samet. Bhai gurdas ji vaars kabit sveyeh, nanak parkash suraj parkash, panth parkash, mehma parkash, bhai nand laal jis gazals, rehat nameh. All vedant granths, possi ly the quaran anjeel etc. Basically would have knowledge of every religion and could answer anything. But in puratan days a giani would even with soo much gian, would be engrossed in naam simran. One of the last gianis to haveall these qualities and many many more were sri maan vidiya martand pooran brahm giani sant gurbachan singh ji bhindranvale. They were the giani that even the hindu pandits of kanshi bowed before, as they had utmost gian of everything and at same timr were brahm giani.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The simple meaning of Gian is knowledge. But from my understanding, Gurbani has a different view. From the perspective of Gurbani a Giani is that person who japps (repeats) Naam. Giani as per Gurbani is not someone who just has knowledge but also does ustat (praise) of Akal Purakh through simran, paath and kirtan. So according to Gurbani if one does kirtan, paath or simran then that person is a Giani.

ਗਿਆਨੀਆਕਾਧਨੁਨਾਮੁਹੈਸਹਜਿਕਰਹਿਵਾਪਾਰੁ

Giānīā kā ḏẖan nām hai sahj karahi vāpār.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁਲਾਹਾਹਰਿਨਾਮੁਲੈਨਿਅਖੁਟਭਰੇਭੰਡਾਰ

Anḏin lāhā har nām lain akẖut bẖare bẖandār.

the true wealth of the giani's is naam, they do the true vapaar (business) by using naam to reach a state of sehaj ( a high spiritual stage)

andin (every moment) they get laha (profit) of naam by doing simran, this khazana (treasure) of naam is ever full and the Gianis/Bhagats never run out of this khazana

However Gian without prema bhagti is of no use in regards to reaching our spiritual goals. It is not a prerequisite that one must have knowledge of certain granth other than sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in order to have darshan of Akal Purakh. If one does simran with prem and keeps Rehit of Guru Sahib he/she can achieve any spiritual goal they desire ie sachkhand, darshan of Akal Purakh.

First and foremost, simran of Gurmantar received from the panj piare and paath of Gurbani are essential. If one listens to naam, believes and follows Guru Sahib bachans and keeps full Rehit surely that person is a Giani.

However I think it is important to gain as much Brahm Vidiya (knowledge of God) as you possibly can by reading Gurmat literature, as well as literature from other dharams (religions). Also it is important to apply those teachings that are in accordance with Gurbani. If we do not apply Gian/knowledge into our lives then what is the point of this Gian?

Vedas, Quran, Bible, Torah and other granths surely have good teachings and we should respect and read granths of other religions. But as per sri Anand Sahib ji, the baani of Guru Granths Sahib ji is above all other baanis, it is the highest when compared to all other granths.

In conclusion, if a person lives his life according to the bachans of Guru Sahib and does simran, swaas swaas, that person is a Giani.

couple of years ago, i asked my dadi jee about the school system in rural punjab in 20/30's and during our conversation, my dadi jee mentioned that she did giyani (like we say i did bachelors or masters).. that was the first time i heard a course/subject/certification called gyani. I forgot what it exactly was about but I think its very basic lower level course and it was only about punjabi/gurmukhi?

Can someone shed some light on this ??

Just describes your user name. So does not surprise me that your views reflect that they are coming from your stomach instead of the top storey.

LOL!

couple of years ago, i asked my dadi jee about the school system in rural punjab in 20/30's and during our conversation, my dadi jee mentioned that she did giyani (like we say i did bachelors or masters).. that was the first time i heard a course/subject/certification called gyani. I forgot what it exactly was about but I think its very basic lower level course and it was only about punjabi/gurmukhi?

Can someone shed some light on this ??

very interesting. I would like to know more about this too.