look before eating

Balwinder Singh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just said that? please read my posts!

Heres a couple things that will make you think twice. One of the last straws for me was the fact that mcdonalds had lied about the fried being vegetarian. They were coated in beef fat before being sent to the restaurants. I heard they may have changed because they were sued by hindu groups. this is what restaurants do. if it makes them money to say its vegetarian, they will tell u it is. If its the other way around, ditto.

Pizza hut sauce is not trusted by vegetarian/vegan groups, so dont eat there. Their ranch dressing dip also has eggs in it.

You guys should really do a simple google search on stuff before u eat it. its not hard and doesnt take much time.

regarding subway, we used to be close with the owner of a subway (now owns 4). Basically he told us to take unopened vegetables from the back (when we still used to eat out). Basically the first thing on the left side for them is meat. They always touch that first if they are making a meat sandwich. THEN with the same hands they put the rest of the vegetables. Even if they change a glove to make your sandwich the meat particles or even peices and oils can already be in the vegetables and cheeses.

shall i go on and ruin more of your apetites?

Their vege burgers have eggs last I checked, as does mcdonalds and burger king. Their vege burgers are made for goras that consider egg vegetarian.

why not order a sandwich or burger without meat at burger king or mcdonalds. 1) they toast their buns on the same grill as the meat 2) i dont know but you may want to see if it has mono and dyglicerides and see if they are vegetarian or from lard, as most breads have

lard versions.

chevys fresh mex, why dont we eat there? this was by far one of my favorite resaurants. hmm perhaps its because they made all their fajitas in iron and stuff :wub: but after awhile we realized they reuse the same things for meat fajitas and non meat ones. We did ask them to just clean the stuff before doing it. But we got chicken and beef chunks in our food sometimes which just turned us off.

This happens frequently at taco bell as well, i dont know if i told you. Taco bell keeps the beans in front while the meat (beef and chicken is behind) they dont always cover the beans so when they get meat, parts fall in the beans, and they just stir it. Ive seen it done many times at different taco bells. Frankly, I used to ignore it and pretend that hey I didnt get any meat or something.. but the truth is, there is meat in the beans due to that simple fact. everything is used and reused.

if i think of anything else ill post

The whole thing is that being a student it is not always easy to just make something at home, and on top of that, I can't cook. Veer Mkhalsa, can you share how you made your transition from eating out and then eating only at home? As far as making American food at home, what products(sauces, breads, etc.) are safe? Can you give us a list? I have discussed this topic with others, and some of the instances you described, some people don't care. Because they feel that is going too far, and you are really limiting yourself as to what you can eat.

Just my 2 cents.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i think anything that touches meat is off limits. how is that too far? isnt it gross to have blood in your food?

regarding safe products, I dont know anymore because i have stopped eating anything regardless of if it is ok or not. I generally only eat food made from scratch.

pizza sauce/spaghetti sauce I make at home, doesnt take much more time. I have convinced a lot of gursikhs here to do the same as well.

All you do is dice some tomatoes and put them in a pot. if you want to do it the lazy way just put lots of garlic salt, basil flakes and oregano flakes.. onion flakes if you want..

there you go.

and singh, I am a student. I dont have any problems keeping sarbloh. its just something you get used to. I stopped eating out because I was just disgusted with the lack of hygeine at eating establishments. they couldnt care less if they wash their hands. ive worked at places liek that. they wash dishes with windex all sorts of stuff that make it very unhealthy and gross. they dont care if u are vegetarian, they wont keep food seperate, they dont have to.

so just for hygeine sake its pretty gross to eat out. just gross urself out and u will stop pretty fast. think about it, some kid could have blown his nose in ur burrito, but you wouldnt have any idea.

another thing is when we ate out my dad had a habit of screaming at waiters and waitresses. I figure one of them had to spit in our food sometime or another. jhoot is another reason to stay away. many chefs and cooks will also taste the food using the ladel.

Veerjeo :

I feel that it is 'vyarth' to argue about we argue about things like whether this ingredient has animal stuff in it or not ~ for a moment step out of being a strict vegitarian and look at things more practically. I am Amritdharee too and feel that someday when I have a family of my own I will try to eat food that is ONLY cooked at home. Now I am single, live by myself and find myself eating a lot at Taco or Subway. The truth is that there shud be 2 groups ~ one for those who eat outside and the other one is for those who are sarblohee. I belong to the first group > I know that the cheese in Subway contains rennin -- but then think about this: why on earth should you drink MILK in the first place. We shoud all try to become a part of the 2nd group. The solution to this thread is not in trying to explain to ppl what is contained in this chemical and what was the source of this ingredient. The answer is simple -> COOK YOURSELF AND EAT THAT ONLY!

Think about it ~ go ask a cow for milk. She will ask you to bugger off. No cow on its own free will will allow itself to be milked. Humans are the ONLY species which drinks MILK of another species way after infancy. Is it not disgusting. why do we do that ? Food for thought.

Dekhiyaa jayee tee -- all the food we eat outside and try to convince each other that its purely vegitarian is NOT so. In this country i.e. us there is a lot of promiscuity between different food types and it is impossible to control it. Back in India I know there are places where the restaurant itself is pure Jain (version of Hinduism) and so they DONT ALLOW any meat products/eggs to enter the premises.

bhullan dee k

hima karnaa jee.

just my 0.02

Vaaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa

Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

/pS

But the reality is that Sikh youth born in America don't just eat desi food. I can tell you that I can't eat desi food everyday, you need variety. As far as making it at home it is difficult and time consuming being a student and all. I eat out but only vegetarian stuff, Veggie Pizza(Papa John's), Subway(alot), and so on.

Bul Chuk Maaf,

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

wat about the knife they used to cut the meats and veggies??? they are still the same.. and they use the same hands to touch the both things. Thats why I gave up eating pizza too cuz They use the same cutter to cut the pizza as well...

psgarcha jee.. rennet is pretty obviously meat. they actually cut off a peice of intestine and grind it up to get the chemicals out. thats meat. thats not being strict to not eat rennet.

being strict sarblohi and eating out and not caring about ingredients are two extremes. being on the liberal side of it is truly as far away from gurmat as one can be as they just dont care if they eat meat or not. this is not good. I am not telling everyone here to adopt sarbloh bibek or even beleive in it. what I am telling you is that if you consider yourself a vegetarian and do still eat other places, you are lying to urself and more importantly to your guru. Same with if you think you are not eating jhoot.

But the reality is that Sikh youth born in America don't just eat desi food.  I can tell you that I can't eat desi food everyday, you need variety.  As far as making it at home it is difficult and time consuming being a student and all.  I eat out but only vegetarian stuff, Veggie Pizza(Papa John's), Subway(alot), and so on. 

Bul Chuk Maaf,

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

wat about the knife they used to cut the meats and veggies??? they are still the same.. and they use the same hands to touch the both things. Thats why I gave up eating pizza too cuz They use the same cutter to cut the pizza as well...

As far as making American food at home, what products(sauces, breads, etc.) are safe? Can you give us a list? Can anyone post a list?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!