Punjab High Court Gives Voting Rights To Sehajdhari Sikhs In Sgpc

Singh, Mahan

Sehajdhari is a person who is from a different religion or no religion and the person is slowly moving forward into Sikhi, who has already accepted the Ten Gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj as his Guru, and has stopped cutting hair and holds no bonds with any other religion.

A person born in a Sikh family is a Sikh and if they have cut their hair, then they are still SIkh, but patit. They are not sehajdhari in any shape or form because they were already born in a Sikh family and were given the instuctions to keep hair uncut. But they cut their hair and for that, they have become patit. An Amritdhari that has committed any of the bujjar kurehats is also still a Sikh, but patit.

Patit is not a different religion within Sikhi, but a title given to a person once they commit an action against the hukam of Guru Sahib. When a person who is patit, corrects their action, then they can be given equal rights as other Sikhs who are not patit. In order for a Sikh who has gone patit to correct their actions, they would have to take Amrit from the Punj Pyare.

The amount of Sehajdharis in Punjab today is probably no more than 50 people. Rest of the Sikhs are either patit or Amritdharis. But yet when the elections come the actual definition will be ignored and for dirty political reasons the patits will be included into Sehajdhari.

Non Amritdhari Sikhs who do not cut their hair are not Patits. So please get your facts right. And there are many such Sikhs around the world.

Sehajdhari is a person who is from a different religion or no religion and the person is slowly moving forward into Sikhi, who has already accepted the Ten Gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj as his Guru, and has stopped cutting hair and holds no bonds with any other religion.

A person born in a Sikh family is a Sikh and if they have cut their hair, then they are still SIkh, but patit. They are not sehajdhari in any shape or form because they were already born in a Sikh family and were given the instuctions to keep hair uncut. But they cut their hair and for that, they have become patit. An Amritdhari that has committed any of the bujjar kurehats is also still a Sikh, but patit.

Patit is not a different religion within Sikhi, but a title given to a person once they commit an action against the hukam of Guru Sahib. When a person who is patit, corrects their action, then they can be given equal rights as other Sikhs who are not patit. In order for a Sikh who has gone patit to correct their actions, they would have to take Amrit from the Punj Pyare.

The amount of Sehajdharis in Punjab today is probably no more than 50 people. Rest of the Sikhs are either patit or Amritdharis. But yet when the elections come the actual definition will be ignored and for dirty political reasons the patits will be included into Sehajdhari.

This ruling the court gave does not have any effect on Sikh institutions. Well they must not be binding because Sri Akal Takht Sahib has been given the power to deal with such issues, by our Gurus. Also Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj told us in a Hukam not to ever let another institution give decisions on Sikh matters. Since this is a Sikh matter and not secular, then the countries legal system has no right to decide how Sikhs deal with issues.

It is a sad day that Sikhs think that a countries ruling is binding on Sikh issues. Satguru kirpa kara and bless everyone with Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj Hukam in their hearts.

What concerns me more is "How and Which institution will define who has become Sehajdhari" and started the slow/gradual path towards Sikhi?

With SGPC/DSGMC elections round the corner, 85% majority of India / Punjab will ask/demand to be defined as Sehajdhari Sikhs?

This is actually a stunt by Indian Govt. to win on both tails or heads, on one hand, Indian Constitution does not recognise a Sikh as a Sikh, a Sikh is a Keshdhari Hindu, on another aspect, now people from other religions can also claim to be Sehajdhari Sikhs and can have full interference in Sikh matters. How will this be restricted to only a small minority of realistic Sehajdharis such as Sindhis etc. and will not be abused.

The 'Panth-Ratan' issue was allowed to pass without note by our Sikh spiritual leaders, but if this particular problem is, again, not contested then I will never listen to another sant or baba telling me to sort out my jeevan and become a better Sikh. For when they cannot stand-up for what is right and what needs to be done for the good of Sikhi, they have no right to lecture us little people when they themselves have access to the top people but choose to stay silent.

I don't really partake in the 'sehajdhari / patit' bashing that occurs on this website because people come in a wide variety of flavours and don't fit neatly into boxes, but this situation is so very different. If patits are allowed to have a say in the SGPC then what really is the point of our Sikhi institutions?

Can anyone explain to me why this decision (to include non-amritdharis) in SGPC elections is being entertained? Is it because of a lack of amritdharis or is it something else?

I also believe that the high court quashing the rule is wrong. Im not from an amritdhari family, but i feel that if one is not amritdhari they will not have enough knowledge as an amritdhari as regards to the SGPC elections. Its like driving a car without a driving license. I personally think the indian government has gone mad with lots of others issues too, and i thank god i dont live in india.

There is so much corruption going on there its unbelievable.