Amritdharee Regrets

Guest gupt guy

Guest gupt guy

vjkk vjkf

I'm going to cut straight to the chase. I took amrit 3 years ago after keeping rehit for about 2 weeks (before this I was keshdharee and used to do japji sahib and rehraas sahib but used to shave etc.) I always knew even from a young age that I will be a gursikh but after attending a camp I think I rushed into it too much. I regret rushing because after that, over the last few years, I've made soooooooo many mistakes (from lying to my parents to going clubbing and to parties and stuff). My amrit vela used to be at 3am every morning but nowadays it's at 10am-1pm ish and even then it'll just be me listening to the nitnem mp3's while revising or walking to sixth form whatever. The thing is, I know this is wrong and I tried turning this all around about 5 months ago; tried to start doing my amrit vela and avoiding bad sangat, but it didn't work no matter how hard I tried. The people I mainly hang around with are sikhs but they're all party animals and drink a lot, sleep around etc. I'm sure you know the type! I know that hanging around with them has probably been the reason that I strayed so much from the path but it's not like I didn't try keeping sangat with gursikhs. A lot of the gursikhs I spoke to though were not the kind of people that i would want to be friends with (gossip, being two faced and quite violent lol) in contrast to my other friends who even if you remove all the bad things they do are REALLY nice people. A lot of factors have led me to the situation I'm now in (mainly my own mental weakeness). I live with my mum atm but I'll be going to Uni next year and I know that keeping rehit isn't going to get any easier in halls. Much harder in fact! I still know that gursikh is what I ultimately want to be but I also know that atm I am nowhere near that stage. I'm thinking of stopping acting like a gursikh and claiming that I am because I'm blatantly not and telling people that I am is only going to give people the wrong idea of what gursikhs are like. Not much of a question but I want to know what the sangat think about me doing this or if you have any advice :/

Thank you for reading and sorry for rambling a bit!

vjkk vjkf

Best thing to do is go to the next Amrit Sanchar and pesh for any mistakes you have made. If you have made no mistakes that you need to go pesh for, then still go to the next Amrit Sanchar and at the end ask the Punj Pyare for help. The Punj Pyare are there to help us on Sikhi. They look scary, but they are full of humility and want to help.

Start by following the easiest thing in rehat and you like doing it. Then keep building on the rehat. Put the Gurmantar the Punj Pyare gave you, on a mp3 player or whatever you have and listen to it all day.

If you are always thinking the Punj Pyare are standing next to me watching me in life. Then we act like a spark on a car battery. At certain times different kind of pyare of the Punj Pyare get us going on the right path. When our parents yell at us its because they want us to do the right thing and they love us. Thinking that the Punj Pyare are always standing next to us works in the same way. When our understanding gets deeper and the love for Maharaj grows in us, then the Punj Pyare are standing next to us still, but all we see is Pyare in them.

Best thing to do is go to the next Amrit Sanchar and pesh for any mistakes you have made. If you have made no mistakes that you need to go pesh for, then still go to the next Amrit Sanchar and at the end ask the Punj Pyare for help. The Punj Pyare are there to help us on Sikhi. They look scary, but they are full of humility and want to help.

Start by following the easiest thing in rehat and you like doing it. Then keep building on the rehat. Put the Gurmantar the Punj Pyare gave you, on a mp3 player or whatever you have and listen to it all day.

If you are always thinking the Punj Pyare are standing next to me watching me in life. Then we act like a spark on a car battery. At certain times different kind of pyare of the Punj Pyare get us going on the right path. When our parents yell at us its because they want us to do the right thing and they love us. Thinking that the Punj Pyare are always standing next to us works in the same way. When our understanding gets deeper and the love for Maharaj grows in us, then the Punj Pyare are standing next to us still, but all we see is Pyare in them.

What do you mean they look scary?

They do not look scary. They should be given all respect by Sikhs and not called in such terms.

vjkk vjkf

I'm going to cut straight to the chase. I took amrit 3 years ago after keeping rehit for about 2 weeks (before this I was keshdharee and used to do japji sahib and rehraas sahib but used to shave etc.) I always knew even from a young age that I will be a gursikh but after attending a camp I think I rushed into it too much. I regret rushing because after that, over the last few years, I've made soooooooo many mistakes (from lying to my parents to going clubbing and to parties and stuff). My amrit vela used to be at 3am every morning but nowadays it's at 10am-1pm ish and even then it'll just be me listening to the nitnem mp3's while revising or walking to sixth form whatever. The thing is, I know this is wrong and I tried turning this all around about 5 months ago; tried to start doing my amrit vela and avoiding bad sangat, but it didn't work no matter how hard I tried. The people I mainly hang around with are sikhs but they're all party animals and drink a lot, sleep around etc. I'm sure you know the type! I know that hanging around with them has probably been the reason that I strayed so much from the path but it's not like I didn't try keeping sangat with gursikhs. A lot of the gursikhs I spoke to though were not the kind of people that i would want to be friends with (gossip, being two faced and quite violent lol) in contrast to my other friends who even if you remove all the bad things they do are REALLY nice people. A lot of factors have led me to the situation I'm now in (mainly my own mental weakeness). I live with my mum atm but I'll be going to Uni next year and I know that keeping rehit isn't going to get any easier in halls. Much harder in fact! I still know that gursikh is what I ultimately want to be but I also know that atm I am nowhere near that stage. I'm thinking of stopping acting like a gursikh and claiming that I am because I'm blatantly not and telling people that I am is only going to give people the wrong idea of what gursikhs are like. Not much of a question but I want to know what the sangat think about me doing this or if you have any advice :/

Thank you for reading and sorry for rambling a bit!

vjkk vjkf

Khalsa Ji

The only thing that is going to change your mindset is the teachings contained within Gurbani. Once we embark on attempting to scrutinise the teachings contained within , then everything else will start falling in place automatically.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

My advice is don't rush !

"It's better to do something, rather than nothing".

Please try to understand that Sikh Rehat Maryada was introduced for our Benefit.

So that we could lead a Natural, Disciplined, Sin-free, Fearless and Spiritual life.

If you can't get up at Amrit Vela everyday, try weekends.

If you can't read full Nitnem, read Jap ji Sahib + Jaap Sahib and listen to the rest.

If you can't leave your friend circle fine but Don't forget to do Saadh Sangat & Seva.

Lastly do sincere Ardas in front of Guru Granth Sahib jeeo asking forgiveness + Support.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

sorry to go off topic a bit but if someones gets badly influenced by bad company like i have, ie baptised sikhs like who all flirt around and are kaami how do i become like what i was before, free of these vices?

thank you for all your replies.

I would go pesh but (this may seem negative but just being realistic) if I can't even get through sixth form without acting like this, I know that I'll only end up making the same mistakes over and over again and I'll be in this situation again in a year. I'm gonna try and stay in rehat as much as I can but I think I'll go pesh when I'm confident that I am mentally and physically ready for the responsibility of representing guru maharaj. Saying this though, is it alright if I stop wearing my sri sahib and stuff because I don't want people subconsciously thinking "oh he's amritdharee and he's doing all this etc. so it's fine to be religious sikh and do stuff like this."

I appreciate any and all help :)

Arguably, going to uni could make your rehat easier to keep. You're more free to do what you want when you want. If possible, try to get accommodation with en suite. Although I'm not amritdhari, I found it much easier to get up and wash and do nitnem.

Other main important thing is the company you keep. Most of my friends weren't into clubbing, going out and getting wasted etc so meant I didn't and wasn't tempted to either.

Don't see uni as a time when things are more difficult but as a time when you can essentially re-invent yourself, and have more control. The five vices will be more prominent so remember to arm yourself with nitnem and naam.