Hey Guys

ohifwinterends

When you go, don't have any alcohol or tobacco on you. Take your shoes off and put them with everyone else's, an cover your head with a cloth. Their should be some near the entrance. Go inside, and you will see Guru Granth Sahib on a platform. Walk towards it, put a dollar infront of it, and kneel down and press your forehead to the floor (matha thek). Then go and sit down with everyone else. When it is time for ardas, you will see everyone stand up, an you should stand up as well. Clasp your hands together, and when other people matha thek, you should as well. After this, you will e offered karah prashad. Take this with two hands and eat it. Now it will be time for langar. Sit on the floor with everyone else, and people will come by with plates and food. If you don't want a certain food, put your hands over your plate. Eat langar, then your done!

When you are at the gurdwara , if you are unsure, just ask someone. There is not much wrong you can do inside the gurdwara, just cover your head, have your shoes off. If you dont feel like bowing then dont, it is not mandatory for non-sikhs. Just find a place and sit down. Most of the time men sit on the right and women on the left but there is no restriction, just find a place to sit.

If you wish to try the langar (food) just goto the hall where the food is being served and sit down and take a plate if one isnt provided for you. Again ask someone if you need help. As the poster above said, if you dont want certain food e.g. yougurt then just indicate by putting your hand over the plate.

here is a link that explains things better.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Visiting_a_Gurdwara

Let us know how your visit went.

Saat Sri Akal guys, I just wanted to let y'all know that I had a very nice time at the gurdwara. I really enjoyed listening to the shabads. I was really nervous at first, but I ended up meeting some nice and open-minded people. It was kinda awkward being the only white person though, but then again I am used to that dynamic! I think I will probably go again. I have a question though. Is it okay to regularly attend gurdwara with no intention of becoming Sikh?

Saat Sri Akal guys, I just wanted to let y'all know that I had a very nice time at the gurdwara. I really enjoyed listening to the shabads. I was really nervous at first, but I ended up meeting some nice and open-minded people. It was kinda awkward being the only white person though, but then again I am used to that dynamic! I think I will probably go again. I have a question though. Is it okay to regularly attend gurdwara with no intention of becoming Sikh?

ofcourse that is fine brother..aslong as you go with good intention :)

Yep, attend as much as you want. Gurbani sung or read at the gurdwara applies to everyone - it requires no religion, caste, colour etc but it contains spiritual knowledge to wake you up from the falsehood of maya. Just go with love and try to understand what is being recited so you can try to apply what guru ji is telling us. Listening - understanding and applying is key to the higher planes of consciousness.

ofcourse that is fine brother..aslong as you go with good intention :)

Oh, okay. Great. I liked going because you can feel the presence of God when the shabads are sung. Do you know what I mean? You go into some churches, temples, etc, and you cannot feel this. I go to all religions places, actually. I have a Sufi soul. Oh, I am a sister by the way! xD