Dancing

Guest fool

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee ke Fateh!

How do you explain to explain why we don't dance?

I know a lot of gursikhs think it's ok. Dancing nowadays is seen as excersice.

A lot of my collegues talk about zumba. I don't go to it. 1) I don't need it and 2) It just doesn't feel right to me, moving about to music with a dastaar on.

But how do you explain to others why as gursikhs we don't dance?

I don't want to raise a debate on wether we can dance or not. It doesn't look appropriate to me for a gursikh to be dancing but how would u explain that to others?

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee ke Fateh!

How do you explain to explain why we don't dance?

I know a lot of gursikhs think it's ok. Dancing nowadays is seen as excersice.

The bold is a contradictory statements because no Sikh ever danced after becoming a Gursikh.

Tell them dance is something that indulges a person into worldly attachments and takes a person further away from Gurmat. Sikhs don't have the desire to dance, as they attain their desires from Gurbani and Sikhs dance is to stay learn how to use weapons and learn how to defend yourself and others. Which Guru Sahib says is the correct dance of life.

Guest KopSingh

The bold is a contradictory statements because no Sikh ever danced after becoming a Gursikh.

Tell them dance is something that indulges a person into worldly attachments and takes a person further away from Gurmat. Sikhs don't have the desire to dance, as they attain their desires from Gurbani and Sikhs dance is to stay learn how to use weapons and learn how to defend yourself and others. Which Guru Sahib says is the correct dance of life.

well doesnt ALOT of the bhangra moves initialy com frm gatka/shastar vidya? Also didnt ALOT of farmers of panjab celebrate the harvest during vaisakhi with bhangra, n u can imagine in those days most if not all sikhs were amritdharis (apart from muslim panjabi farmers of course). so.......

well doesnt ALOT of the bhangra moves initialy com frm gatka/shastar vidya? Also didnt ALOT of farmers of panjab celebrate the harvest during vaisakhi with bhangra, n u can imagine in those days most if not all sikhs were amritdharis (apart from muslim panjabi farmers of course). so.......

Gursikhs don't dance and never will. They celebrate Vaisakhi by having a Nagar Kirtan or doing other Gurmat activities. A lot of your post is being made up as you go. It's best to give evidence for your statements, rather than making statements up to fit your mentality. Gatka is a fighting style with weapons.

Guest KopSingh

Gursikhs don't dance and never will. They celebrate Vaisakhi by having a Nagar Kirtan or doing other Gurmat activities. A lot of your post is being made up as you go. It's best to give evidence for your statements, rather than making statements up to fit your mentality. Gatka is a fighting style with weapons.

for goodness sakes, im jus givin my opinion n wat knowledge i have. Also on the sikh channel (uk) dr gurnam singh/ roop singh have mentioned before on their program that alot of the bhangra moves come from gatka, so im not lieing n makin it up. 4 gods sakes y dont YOU do sum research into it then if u think im lieing.

also its common knowlesge that bhangra was done to celebrate the harvest, thats the basic of all cultural knowledge, so i assume it cudda bin done by amritdharis.

if u notice frm my statement above, that i NEVER even stated whether amritdharis can dance or not, i jus gave an interestin point.

for goodness sakes, im jus givin my opinion n wat knowledge i have. Also on the sikh channel (uk) dr gurnam singh/ roop singh have mentioned before on their program that alot of the bhangra moves come from gatka, so im not lieing n makin it up. 4 gods sakes y dont YOU do sum research into it then if u think im lieing.

also its common knowlesge that bhangra was done to celebrate the harvest, thats the basic of all cultural knowledge, so i assume it cudda bin done by amritdharis.

if u notice frm my statement above, that i NEVER even stated whether amritdharis can dance or not, i jus gave an interestin point.

And i gave you the answer to your statements. Seem like your fustration shows you didn't like the answers. Also i'm not talking about Amritdharis and neither is the original poster. The original poster is speaking about Gursikhs and so am I speaking about Gursikhs. Now on two threads you keep targeting Amritdharis, seems like you have an axe to grind with amritdharis.

Again no Gursikh will dance as they have been taught better by Gurbani. Hence why they get the title Gursikh. You will never hear me say go and follow Amritdharis that go against Gurmat.

Guest KopSingh

And i gave you the answer to your statements. Seem like your fustration shows you didn't like the answers. Also i'm not talking about Amritdharis and neither is the original poster. The original poster is speaking about Gursikhs and so am I speaking about Gursikhs. Now on two threads you keep targeting Amritdharis, seems like you have an axe to grind with amritdharis.

Again no Gursikh will dance as they have been taught better by Gurbani. Hence why they get the title Gursikh. You will never hear me say go and follow Amritdharis that go against Gurmat.

ive answered ur question regarding whether gursikhs ever danced. btw no i havnt got an axe 2 grind wit amritdharis, ocouple of my best mates r amritdhari n i hang with them, so no i dont detest them, i am a sikh, duh! READ my statements AGAIN!! u say gursikhs HAVE NEVER danced, so all i sed was, most sikhs/farmers in 18th/19th century were PROBABLY not definitly but PROBABLY gursikhs, n they popularised n invented bhangra. this is my last response 2 u, im jus goin round in circles wit u. With ur statements, ur makin me look like im anti-sikh, when i would die for the king of kings. gursikhs probably cant dance, but im jus raisin an interestin rebuttal

u say gursikhs HAVE NEVER danced, so all i sed was, most sikhs/farmers in 18th/19th century were PROBABLY not definitly but PROBABLY gursikhs, n they popularised n invented bhangra.

Yeah, you need to learn what Gursikh even means before using the word in a sentence. Saying a Gursikh invented bhangra is a contradictory statement in its self because Gursikhs don't dance, so why would they invent bhangra, something that is against their way of life!!! Do you get it now. Seems like your parents didn't teach you any better way to discuss with a person as you only know how to through in insults.

So Sikhs can NEVER dance? What about something like the OP was talking about-Zumba? Where you dance to get fit. If the music is just instrumental, or doesn't have any manmat language, then what's wrong with it?

And please don't say something like- you can get fit by doing Gatka. Please address my question directly

So Sikhs can NEVER dance? What about something like the OP was talking about-Zumba? Where you dance to get fit. If the music is just instrumental, or doesn't have any manmat language, then what's wrong with it?

And please don't say something like- you can get fit by doing Gatka. Please address my question directly

Can you give us the definition of what manmat is? I'm not in all honesty dodging your question. Ask yourself how Gursikhs stayed fit. Would Sant Baba Jarnail Singh ji Khalsa ever do Zumba or similar forms of staying fit? If not why do you think he would not do it? In Gurmat the means (the way you achieve it) and the end (the achievement) need to be in Gurmat. If one is out then it is considered manmat. Since Zumba is a dance then it is manmat. In Gurbani Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj did not even accept dancing as a form of worship to God (Allah). The Shabad is fairly long, so i won't post it. But it is on ang 350.