The Khalsa - A Message Directed At The Elders

Guest Kaur

How can you not have time? Gurbani states to jap naam ATHAY PEHAR. That means jap it daily in your mind and tongue. You can do that wherever you are. Gurbani also states its important to join the sangat as that will strengthen your love for Naam and the other thing that will strengthen your love for Naam is singing praises of Naam which is singing Sukhmani Sahib.

The main problem here is that we do not have love for Naam. So, there are ways of doing that as mentioned above. Once you have love for Naam, happiness will begin to enter your body and your jyot will Bigaas (blossom forth).

I think you really need to join Sat Sangat at a Ransbhaee.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest _Kaur_

How can you not have time? Gurbani states to jap naam ATHAY PEHAR. That means jap it daily in your mind and tongue. You can do that wherever you are. Gurbani also states its important to join the sangat as that will strengthen your love for Naam and the other thing that will strengthen your love for Naam is singing praises of Naam which is singing Sukhmani Sahib.

The main problem here is that we do not have love for Naam. So, there are ways of doing that as mentioned above. Once you have love for Naam, happiness will begin to enter your body and your jyot will Bigaas (blossom forth).

I think you really need to join Sat Sangat at a Ransbhaee.

Thank you for your advice/ opinion. To sing sukhamani sahib, I would need to know the words off by heart which I don't as of yet. You are clearly at a far more advanced stage than I am on this journey, if you are singing the praises of god 24 hours a day (with full concentration - I mean it's mere words otherwise) at the same time as fulfilling wordly duties.

Bhenji, you should get yourself a mp3 player or an ipod so you can listen to Gurbani all day. Also listening to Gurbani all night is a must even though you can't completely concentrate on it all day and all night. Also these are not my words, but a Gurmukh's. To pick your spirit up, listen to Sri Sukhmani Sahib. Your spirit will be uplifted and naturally Satguru will bring Gursikhs into your life. Satguru works in mysteries ways and amazes us when we are listening to his Bani. Many times speaking to others and experiencing it myself. My mind will drift away when listening to Gurbani, but when i regain concentration, then in that moment the answer to what i was worrying about (when my mind drifted and went into worldly thoughts) is right there in the shabad i am listening too. All we needed to do is listen (to Gurbani) and not worry about our past or future. Gurbani tells us when ever we feel no one is there to support us, all what we try to do is considered invaluable, we have nothing to lift us up.....if in that moment you remember Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj, then you will attain the kingdom of Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj.

Many have told me in the past and still do, you (refering to me) need to have some fun (do something else than go to Gurdwara, visit Gurmukhs, do paat, work, do seva, study) in life and need to get out. Many times i have responded by saying I am doing what is fun........thats when i get this weird look like is this guy on some kind of drug.......he has no fun. To them all they see me doing is living this strict, serious, no fun, abnormal, without happiness lifestyle. But if they were able to develop some kind of machine to look at someone's spirituality then they would understand what having fun is.

Some people have done some really good things in their past lives and they have this personality where they are happy (have everything working for them) most of the time and they don't do paat. People that do paat and don't get that happiness start doubting why am i not able to feel that same happiness in life and nothing is going right for me. In the moment everyone thinks the first person is better off, but from Gurmat, this person is going to be dragged by Jamdhoot for not following Sikhi. Their good karma (past good actions) run out. The second person (who does paat) if they just put their trust in Gurbani (it doesn't take much, just a little push) then they will see how they are better off and their spirit will be lifted.

Forward the above kirtan to 13 minutes. It's all Anand.

Thank you for your advice/ opinion. To sing sukhamani sahib, I would need to know the words off by heart which I don't as of yet. You are clearly at a far more advanced stage than I am on this journey, if you are singing the praises of god 24 hours a day (with full concentration - I mean it's mere words otherwise) at the same time as fulfilling wordly duties.

Hes talking about simran gurbani says wake early in the morning do simran then your path and then simran while sitting standing eating

Guest tuhintuhin

waheguru ji....I don't know if I am mature enough to give any words to yours.........but the way I see it......it's bairaag.........mann de halaat badlade rehnde ne......the environment we live in / things we se, impacts the condition of our mind..........our aatma....not mann........aatma sometimes when it feels distance from Guru sahib for some reason.... for example......when a person is innocent, polite having a pure aatma (kalyug de prabhaav ton thorha door) not like bad people treats others the smae way but didn;t get polite or required response.....the heart gets hurt which makes our mann go dawa dol like i was nice to this person, why wasn't he/she..............feels like crying loudly......the reason is not that coldness received from the opposite party but there's "SOMETHING" seem to be missing inside us........and this"SOMETHING" is the feeling of closenees to Guru sahib........

when we see or feel mistakes or our expectations not fufilled.....we get hurt...................that's the point....we should not get hurt........try to think that Guru sahib is always with you....walking with you, sitting with you, talking to you............don't think you are alone.....HE's always with you........taking care of you, protecting you.......

talk to HIM....literally......speak like you talking to somebody........every small thing share with him.....say.. you are hungary just say Guru ji / data ji / pita ji or whatever you feel I feel hungry , lets eat something....if there's any problem...speak to him...data ji...aah ho gya...hun mein ki kara, please bachalo..........if there's someone you don't like gets irritated...just talk to Guru ji....ke mein ede naal gal ni karna chaundi please eh menu bulave na.....you'll see that person will not talk to you.............I mean feel HIM, not even think he's there with you.....

if you don't receive the response you were expecting, that's alright...just think that's how there nature is......that's how they are gifted......it's not under their control........have fun with Guru sahib as you mother, father, friend, protector....everything.....once you get use to this... you won't need anyone's company.....

I don't know if this would make any sense to you or others...but this does work......

waheguru ji kirpa rakhan....

Guest _Kaur_

i have been reading the posts daily, so thanks for the replies (nice not to be ignored)

things feel worse... well actually they are... im sick of my family and the way they deal or should I say brush things under the carpet as if they don't matter or nothing is wrong (you know if they dont hear anything, then thats a good sign because they have nothing to ignore and they can assume everything is fine and dandy (even when its obvious and you put it in black and white that it is not)... i dont know, i cant understand how people can be insensitive towards their own children's feelings. I used to think that parents would always look out for your own best interests but thats definately not the case in my family). I dont believe in false relationships I feel like my birth parents are just two people that exist.

Just to add, how i think others could help....

I am looking for people that have hectic lifestyles - like people who have studied medicine or law or something involving work commitment/ pressure of work load to tell me how they managed to cope with the work load... and live a gursikh lifestyle at the same time... like what was your routine, how much did you sleep, when did you start your day etc? I think practical advice is what I would find useful.

I mean I understand listening reciting gurbani will help but at the end of the day... on a practical level... I can't walk around in my job with a ipod to my ears... granted I can listen to it otherwise and I do try to do that, gurbani is always played in the car and yes I can make sure I put some on at night. I am not concerned about what people think about me. I mean I couldn't careless if someone thought i didn't do fun things... i don't have that problem anyway... i dont have friends really anyway.

Bhenji,

It saddens me to read that you are issues within your family. I can empathise, to some degree however have learnt that however much you disagree with your parents they still love you and most of the time this is the only way they know how to deal with things. I can only speak from my own experience but I've found that showing them pyaar even when they may behave the complete opposite towards you is vital. Difficult yes but with time it gets easier.

With regards to your wanting practical advice, I'm pursuing a career which has meant 7 years at university. Like you I often play kirtan in my car and the journey to work has been fruitful in allowing me to learn to do Paath off by heart. There's so much time in the day for the things you want to achieve. The mind is a powerful tool and we have that regardless of whether we're at work, home, in the car etc.

waheguru ji...........if you don't get time to do nitnem....listen it in the car or have a mp3 player in your room.....while you get ready you can recite path along with the mp3.....apart from that do simran (not asking you to sit and meditate) because of your tight timeline....do it all the time in your mouth, you don't need any gutka for that, and you can do it everywhere and anywhere..............it'll take a while but then you'll get use to do it.....you can do simran and work at the same time.........while studying you can have low volume waheguru simran on, on mp3..........there are so may ways to keep your gursikhi and other stuff go side by side..........you won't be studying all of your life... when you are done with your studies, you can start waking up at amritvela and do nitnem.......

.....guru ji knows everything........that's why he gave us sikhi....sikh marag is very flexible......

do ardas......guru ji bhalla karan......

Guest _Kaur_

As I said before this career is not about money or status... we all have our own values and beliefs as individuals... we all have to earn a living and we all make a contribution to society whether it's a positive or negative... whereever we are, whatever occupation we have... god takes the form of a doctor, lawyer, teacher, policeman, nurse, waste collector... all serve a purpose, so I don't believe in quitting... I see this as a challenge maharaj has presented me with... which is why I am turning to elder gursikhs who have been through this battle to suggest how to get through this test

As I said before this career is not about money or status... we all have our own values and beliefs as individuals... we all have to earn a living and we all make a contribution to society whether it's a positive or negative... whereever we are, whatever occupation we have... god takes the form of a doctor, lawyer, teacher, policeman, nurse, waste collector... all serve a purpose, so I don't believe in quitting... I see this as a challenge maharaj has presented me with... which is why I am turning to elder gursikhs who have been through this battle to suggest how to get through this test

Kaur jee,

Ask this question on GurmatBibek.com (in the message board), the website has a mixture of elder working Gursikhs who keep a strict Sikhi/Gurmat lifestyle more than you can imagine and it has young Gursikhs as well.