Portraits Of Gurus

I heard from one of my cousins that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Riped up all of the portraits that were painted of him during his life, Is this true? Also does this mean we are committing sin when we hang up portraits of the gurus in out homes?

BTW i know that idol worship is wrong and that you should not bow down to portraits etc... but is it ok to show high respect for the portraits for example I always make sure that portraits are not hung up in a place where my feet will point and also my Grandad used to go around the house early in the morning with thoof and light it under the portraits but I never asked him why.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

I heard from one of my cousins that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Riped up all of the portraits that were painted of him during his life, Is this true? Also does this mean we are committing sin when we hang up portraits of the gurus in out homes?

BTW i know that idol worship is wrong and that you should not bow down to portraits etc... but is it ok to show high respect for the portraits for example I always make sure that portraits are not hung up in a place where my feet will point and also my Grandad used to go around the house early in the morning with thoof and light it under the portraits but I never asked him why.

My dad gives jyot and dhoop to pothis of gurbani we hav at home !

though he never read it a single time !

I mean some of us have become just other bahmans haven't we ?? we don't worship idols like hindus , but we do an idol-like treatment to written gurbani ! not much difference

Keep in mind that the portraits people have hanging in their homes were made a long time after Guru Sahiban passed away. They probably don't even look like them. I don't think the Gurus wanted us making pictures of them. If they did, then there would have been some from the time they were alive. People pray and do pooja to the pics. That's not right.

My dad gives jyot and dhoop to pothis of gurbani we hav at home !

though he never read it a single time !

Maybe you should start reading them first and then you and your dad can discuss what you have learnt!!

I mean some of us have become just other bahmans haven't we ?? we don't worship idols like hindus , but we do an idol-like treatment to written gurbani ! not much difference

Keep in mind that the portraits people have hanging in their homes were made a long time after Guru Sahiban passed away. They probably don't even look like them. I don't think the Gurus wanted us making pictures of them. If they did, then there would have been some from the time they were alive. People pray and do pooja to the pics. That's not right.

Spot on!