What To Do ? ? `

I've had racist remarks thrown at me by Hindu professors as well. Once this Maths teacher told me in private, that Sikhs are not very smart people. He said we don't have brains. Another time, in a Genetics class, we were doing an exercise where we were going around the room and seeing who has a widows peak. That is when your hairline makes a point in front. I could see where this was going. I'm sure she wasn't oblivious to the fact that there was a sardar in her class. When it was my turn, I told her I had a widows peak. Her smart reply was "How can you tell?". Of course it was funny to others. I was going to go to the administration, but she pulled me aside the next day and apologized. I think she was scared. I shouldn't have accepted her apology, but I did. My advice to you is to report this incident to the higher administration. Maybe get your friends to write a letter as well.

This is a relevant story that just happened

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhubaneswar/Sikhs-protest-college-barring-boy-with-kripan/articleshow/12553267.cms

I've had racist remarks thrown at me by Hindu professors as well. Once this Maths teacher told me in private, that Sikhs are not very smart people. He said we don't have brains. Another time, in a Genetics class, we were doing an exercise where we were going around the room and seeing who has a widows peak. That is when your hairline makes a point in front. I could see where this was going. I'm sure she wasn't oblivious to the fact that there was a sardar in her class. When it was my turn, I told her I had a widows peak. Her smart reply was "How can you tell?". Of course it was funny to others. I was going to go to the administration, but she pulled me aside the next day and apologized. I think she was scared. I shouldn't have accepted her apology, but I did. My advice to you is to report this incident to the higher administration. Maybe get your friends to write a letter as well.

This is a relevant story that just happened

http://timesofindia....ow/12553267.cms

Son of a <banned word filter activated>. At least we don't bend over and take everything given to us. Those cowards who had kingdoms in the times of the Mughals were serving up their daughters to their Muslims invaders like there was no tomorrow. What kind of a king willingly puts the females of his family on a plate to an invading force who has nothing but contempt for them?

This thread reminds me of something that happened when I was at school. I'm from England and I must've been 12 when this particular situation occured. There was only two Singhs in my secondary school (with me being one) when I attended despite there being other Asians and a majority of white students making up the numbers.

I was very studious and hard-working, and always strived for top-spot in every subject. I was never a teacher's pet because I didn't have to charm anyone to get a leg-up; I let my good attitdue and grades do the talking. Anyway, we had a wood-work class and our usual teacher was off sick and this new guy took charge of the class. He was in his late 30s or early 40s and he fancied himself as one of those teachers who was was strict but also "one of the lads" so that he could attain that reputation as a student favourite; kind of like a boot sergeant in the army.

So he's teaching us how to create a technical diagram before actually beginning a project, and nobody else in the class had a clue what was going on. He'd ask a question, I'd wait for someone else to answer as I didn't want to look too eager but when nobody raised their hand I'd provide the answer.

When I'd answered the bulk of what he was asking, he says in all seriousness in-front of the whole class "You're not as dumb as you look". Now, back in those days I was a "lolla-bholla", cuddly boy who wouldn't say boo to a ghost. I was very quiet but also very respectful of authority (but - like I said - without being a walkover). I don't know what came over me but I swear to God I felt something inside of me get very hot and I said "I'm sorry what was that, sir?". For a few seconds I thought I was over-reacting but what he said to me seemed really odd. Why mention I look dumb if I'd proven otherwise by answering the questions he was posing? Also, the reaction of my classmates wasn't one of mockery or agreement with the teacher because most of them actually took a sharp intake of breath when he said that.

I stood up but my mind kept telling me "What the heck are you doing? Sit down!!!" but my legs and mouth were working independent of my brain. I said to him "What's that supposed to mean, sir?". I look at my friend's faces and I could gauge from their reaction that I wasn't in the wrong. I calmly pick up my bag and walk towards the door and I say to the teacher "I'd like to discuss this with the headmaster".

I walk off towards the headmaster's office at the other end of the school. Luckily enough I met my head of year on the way and he asks me why I was out of class. I explain to him, on the verge of tears but holding them in like a good boy, what happened in class. He puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I'll be back in a bit". A few minutes later he emerges with the wood-work teacher and he walks with me to the headmaster's office.

All three of us walk into the headmaster's office and I tell the headmaster about the exchange between myself and the teacher, and I also asked if he wanted any witnesses because the whole class heard it. I was talking with some bass in my voice for the first time in my life and I did not know where the heck it was coming from! Anyway, the headmaster asks me to leave hos office while he has a word with the teacher and my head of year.

About 15 minutes later my head of year comes out and winks at me and says "You did good, lad. You've got nothing to be ashamed of." I return to class and am received like a hero returning from battle. The wood-work teacher arrives a few minutes later, dismisses the class but he looks crest-fallen. Since that day untl the day I graduated secondary school he always had a nod for me whenever I passed him in the corridor.

I'd like to think he never considered another Singh to be dumb. I don't know how the heck I managed it because the boldness on my part was completely out of character at that moment in my life. So that's my story. Sorry for the length but I just want to say to young Singhs that you don't have to take any nonsense from figures of authority who should know better.

Naveen Jain, Ashok Mohanty and Bimal Mallick -- three of his classmates -- also boycotted the examination, showing solidarity with Harwinder.

It's people like this that make me have real hope for the future! I hope that they are blessed with a great life and God fulfils all their wishes for the future!

When people say, "there's good and bad in everyone" and "Good in all religions when followed properly", well these people are examples of 'Good'!

Son of a <banned word filter activated>. At least we don't bend over and take everything given to us. Those cowards who had kingdoms in the times of the Mughals were serving up their daughters to their Muslims invaders like there was no tomorrow. What kind of a king willingly puts the females of his family on a plate to an invading force who has nothing but contempt for them?

This thread reminds me of something that happened when I was at school. I'm from England and I must've been 12 when this particular situation occured. There was only two Singhs in my secondary school (with me being one) when I attended despite there being other Asians and a majority of white students making up the numbers.

I was very studious and hard-working, and always strived for top-spot in every subject. I was never a teacher's pet because I didn't have to charm anyone to get a leg-up; I let my good attitdue and grades do the talking. Anyway, we had a wood-work class and our usual teacher was off sick and this new guy took charge of the class. He was in his late 30s or early 40s and he fancied himself as one of those teachers who was was strict but also "one of the lads" so that he could attain that reputation as a student favourite; kind of like a boot sergeant in the army.

So he's teaching us how to create a technical diagram before actually beginning a project, and nobody else in the class had a clue what was going on. He'd ask a question, I'd wait for someone else to answer as I didn't want to look too eager but when nobody raised their hand I'd provide the answer.

When I'd answered the bulk of what he was asking, he says in all seriousness in-front of the whole class "You're not as dumb as you look". Now, back in those days I was a "lolla-bholla", cuddly boy who wouldn't say boo to a ghost. I was very quiet but also very respectful of authority (but - like I said - without being a walkover). I don't know what came over me but I swear to God I felt something inside of me get very hot and I said "I'm sorry what was that, sir?". For a few seconds I thought I was over-reacting but what he said to me seemed really odd. Why mention I look dumb if I'd proven otherwise by answering the questions he was posing? Also, the reaction of my classmates wasn't one of mockery or agreement with the teacher because most of them actually took a sharp intake of breath when he said that.

I stood up but my mind kept telling me "What the heck are you doing? Sit down!!!" but my legs and mouth were working independent of my brain. I said to him "What's that supposed to mean, sir?". I look at my friend's faces and I could gauge from their reaction that I wasn't in the wrong. I calmly pick up my bag and walk towards the door and I say to the teacher "I'd like to discuss this with the headmaster".

I walk off towards the headmaster's office at the other end of the school. Luckily enough I met my head of year on the way and he asks me why I was out of class. I explain to him, on the verge of tears but holding them in like a good boy, what happened in class. He puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I'll be back in a bit". A few minutes later he emerges with the wood-work teacher and he walks with me to the headmaster's office.

All three of us walk into the headmaster's office and I tell the headmaster about the exchange during myself and the teacher, and I also asked if he wanted any witnesses because the whole class heard it. I was talking with some bass in my voice for the first time in my life and I did not know where the heck it was coming from! Anyway, the headmaster asks me to leave hos office while he has a word with the teacher and my head of year.

About 15 minutes later my head of year comes out and winks at me and says "You did good, lad. You've got nothing to be ashamed of." I return to class and am received like a hero returning from battle. The wood-work teacher arrives a few minutes later, dismisses the class but he looks crest-fallen. Since that day untl the day I graduated secondary school he always had a nod for me whenever I passed him in the corridor.

I'd like to think he never considered another Singh to be dumb. I don't know how the heck I managed it because the boldness on my part was completely out of character at that moment in my life. So that's my story. Sorry for the length but I just want to say to young Singhs that you don't have to take any nonsense from figures of authority who should know better.

Well done, lad.

We are proud of you.

When you stand up for yourself, the whole world will stand up for you. This Pakistani in my class in college (in Dubai, an Islamic location) who openly announced his hatred for Indians one day remarked to me "12 bajj gaye". I gave him a stare he will never forget till his grave, and in a loud firm voice said to him to speak properly. The professor in class was a Sindhi Hindu (devotees of Guru Nanak Patshah jee). He came up to us and said to the Paki "Do you want me to throw you out of the window? I am sure I can get some help". The Paki didn't bother to utter a word to me for weeks.

@ JSinghz - Ha, thanks. It was a long time ago but these young Singh's problems have brought it all back.

These real life incidents are an inspiration to our younger brothers and sisters.

Keep more of them coming so that we all can learn and get strength from each others experiences

in different walks of life and different parts of the world.