Career In Politics

For university i plan on studying politics and afterwards i plane on getting myself into Government.

The thing im struggling with at the moment is what political party i should join. I want to join a party that will help benefit the progression of the Sikh faith within this country. I want to represent Sikhs in parliament and be the voice when situations like Rajoana occur. The reason being is that i feel that if we had someone like that in parliament, action could be taken much quicker and resolutions made much faster,

Could you help me by giving me an insight on what political party is suited best?

Also what kind of work experience/placement i could do involving politics?

Thanks for your time :)

what country??

economics and law are probably better subjects to study for a politician.

best thing to do is volunteer in your community get more known to the people, start up organisations charities etc sikh and non sikh... so when your ready you will already have a base of 100s or 1,000s of supporters to help you.. help out at the Gurdwara and get to know the sangat, also the other religious places of worship

Also help out at the party you choose, in elections and attend their conferences etc...ulitimatley they will decide if you run for them

I dont think work experience and placement matter as much as being well known and having support from the community, people that study politics and get a placement in some politicians office normally end up working there forever

anyway if your in UK i would say Conservative

Canada NDP or maybe Conservative

US Democratic

India .... Make your own party

I think any liberal party would probably be more receptive to helping Sikhs.

Contact the offices of your government representative and ask if you can volunteer with them during your holidays.

Ditto to what chelski ji said. Economics or Law are probably your best bet if you want to enter politics.

We need more Sikhs in government. Good luck to you. :)

For university i plan on studying politics and afterwards i plane on getting myself into Government.

The thing im struggling with at the moment is what political party i should join. I want to join a party that will help benefit the progression of the Sikh faith within this country. I want to represent Sikhs in parliament and be the voice when situations like Rajoana occur. The reason being is that i feel that if we had someone like that in parliament, action could be taken much quicker and resolutions made much faster,

Could you help me by giving me an insight on what political party is suited best?

The traditional route into becoming an MP is this :

1) become a party member

2) stand as local councillor (and it is quite easy to become a local councillor)

3) when it comes to choosing a cadidate for the parliamentary elections the part's choose from the local councillors

This is still largely the route. BUT...and this is an important but....because you are a keshdari Sikh this route is closed for you in the labour party.The Labour Party HQ in Walworth Rd have consistently shown that they will ignore this traditional route and impose their selection from outside the area, if the only alternatives are turban wearing Sikhs. They did that in the Ealing Southall constituency and they did that in the Feltham and Heston (Hounslow) constituency. On both occassions, despite the fact that turban wearing Sikhs were the longest serving councillors, they decided to impose an Indian Hindu as the MP. Take it from me....there is something very rotten going on in the Labour Party when it comes to us Sikhs. Very very rotten.

My advice to you then is to join either the Tories or the Liberals.

Become a party member and apply for a internship. Shadow a leader or get involved in the office. Make yourself known. Study hard and enter a PPE (politics, philosophy & economics) degree in Oxbridge. Whilst at at Oxford/Cambs or in the worst case scenario, a Russell Group University, get involved in student politics. Try to get involved in the Student Union. Each political party will have a university representative. If you look at previous cabinet members and prime ministers, they were all head of the student union in Oxford or Cambridge whilst they were students. This is the time you will make connections and network. Your fellow peers and students will become future prime ministers, cabinet ministers if not ordinary MPs.

Guest RavindaSingh

Goodluck singh going into politics we need more singhs/singhnees in this feild to get our views across through means of the legal system etc.