'namdhari' Dastar

GoKesh

3) Diljit's - Gobind De Laal video below, dude at 1:50 in the video has the pagh that all sikhs shud wear in my opinion, chek it homies;

that is dumalla.

look at this afghan guy,

http://www.corbisima...n-man-in-turban

have a look at karzai in this picture:

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/south_asia/41503

they wear a turban that you will see elder sikh wearing, the younger sikhs wear the same turban in the same style but do "pooni" of the cloth to give it a more clean layer, as is shown in the youtube video that you have posted.

Dumalas were the style of dastaar worn by the nihangs and not the main style of dastaar used by everyone else. The Kooka style of dastaar is most likely just an old style of tying the dastaar that was worn by the originial Singhs that formed the Namdharis.

good stuf man, so those paghs worn by them singhs were taken frm afghans? i can c the influence, cheers

that is dumalla.

look at this afghan guy,

http://www.corbisima...n-man-in-turban

have a look at karzai in this picture:

http://www.haveeru.c...outh_asia/41503

they wear a turban that you will see elder sikh wearing, the younger sikhs wear the same turban in the same style but do "pooni" of the cloth to give it a more clean layer, as is shown in the youtube video that you have posted.

kool

those old paghs don't look very secure. how did they tie them :O

Yeh I agree with you. Not sure to be honest. They probably used to come off alot in battle etc. Historical accounts that I have read from anglo-sikh wars and from the world wars indicate that they used to come off a lot. Not ideal but I guess thats just how it is. The damala is probably the most secure style but I have seen Singhs damalas come off loads of times, both in fights and just messing around wrestling etc.

Interesting stuff. I remember a story where Guru Hargonind Ji'a dastaar was a few feet tall. In the pictures they all wear small, similarly shaped Dastars, but it is safe to say they were probably Dhamala's

Dhamala literally means "2 cloths", so there are many different styles. They were different from today's Nihang styles obviously.

In the UK, you see a lot of Sikhs wearing Dhamalas, whereas in India, it is only worn by certain Jathas and Nihangs. Here in the US, basically everyone ties some variant of the Patiala Shahi style, except a little smaller. Occasionally you see someone wearing a Gol Dastar or even more rarely a Dhamala. I've only seen Dhamalas at the New York Sikh Parade (Nagar kirtan) and I think people had just tied it for special purposes there

i dont think the Sikhs actually took the afghan's turbans off their heads and placed them on their own, what happened was that the Sikhs imitated the turban that signified " Shahi" from the afghans once they had taken over panjab and some of the frontier areas.

wasn't a hukam given by guru hargobind sahib ji to tie not one but 2 dastaars? so wouldnt that type of pagh look more dumalla like? personally only paghs that has been safe and secure for me has been gol or dumalla. a dastaar is meant ot be respected, i dont think the old sikhs would ever wear a dastaar that could come off so easily and beadbi happen to their dastaar.

wasn't a hukam given by guru hargobind sahib ji to tie not one but 2 dastaars? so wouldnt that type of pagh look more dumalla like? personally only paghs that has been safe and secure for me has been gol or dumalla. a dastaar is meant ot be respected, i dont think the old sikhs would ever wear a dastaar that could come off so easily and beadbi happen to their dastaar.

Someone told me (sorry hearsay) That we place two dastars because the muslims forbid non moslems to wear a turban so Guru Gobind Singh bettered this by asking us to wear two..ie Keski and dastar.