Divinity Of Our Guru's

Was watching the da vinci code recently and i remembered a certain section regarding 431 Council of Epehsus where they discussed the divinity of christ. I think this revolved around 2 parts, 1 he had a divine spirit in him (jyoti jot) and 2, he was born of a human so couldnt be god

just wondering how this relates to our guru's to people view them as god on earth or prophets of god or just great men? Even harder to get around is the fact if they were god on earth who were they praying too?

Saturday and Sunday Panjabi Schools of the 90s have a lot to answer for. :biggrin2:

I was also led to believe our Gurus were prophets who were given specific "missions" by God. Each Guru had the jyot of Guruship and passed this onto the next incumbent of Gurghaddi when required.

But since freqenting this site I've seen some people say our Gurus were God himself. Although to be fair I don't find this hard to believe as I don't think it's beyond the Almighty to be in more than one place at one time.

god being inside everyone i dont find difficult itself to believe but to be god on earth i kind of do (omnipresent, omnipotent, etc) cant be possible can it in human form? (human form in itself is limiting)

just wondering how this relates to our guru's to people view them as god on earth or prophets of god or just great men? Even harder to get around is the fact if they were god on earth who were they praying too?

Guru = teacher. They teaching how to walk the right path. Theyre not claiming to be anything.

I'm still learning about Sikhi but I read the other day Guru's themselves asked not to be worshipped. So when we celebrate their birthdays and things like that isnt that idol worship? Or maybe i misunderstood?

Talking about God I think is very hard. One persons perception of God probably totally different to how another see's God. One might view god as a really big person sitting in the clouds. The other might percieve God in the minds eye as an ocean of light of which we are all droplets.

I suggest to you read/meditate on Nitnem daily.

I'm still learning about Sikhi but I read the other day Guru's themselves asked not to be worshipped. So when we celebrate their birthdays and things like that isnt that idol worship? Or maybe i misunderstood?

no isn't its just celebrating the guru's life (am i right?). celebrating someones life isn't worshiping the person, its remembering our roots and teachers. You could say the ardas is all idol worship, we aren't worshping images, rather remembering our history. and isn't sikhi's image that god is everywhere in everything

"In stationary life forms, moving beings, worms, moths and within each and every heart, the Lord is contained. ||1||"

Guru = teacher. They teaching how to walk the right path. Theyre not claiming to be anything.

I'm still learning about Sikhi but I read the other day Guru's themselves asked not to be worshipped.

Talking about God I think is very hard. One persons perception of God probably totally different to how another see's God. One might view god as a really big person sitting in the clouds. The other might percieve God in the minds eye as an ocean of light of which we are all droplets.

the gurus never said they were god but servants of god. :s, but doesnt a sant become one with God, there becomes a point when there is no distinction between God and his Sant.

I suggest to you read/meditate on Nitnem daily.

Im of the obvious belief that most sikhs no we do not worship the Guru's we admire and use their lives as points to help us in the way we live our own livesBirthdays etc are celebrating the life of a sant/prophet, so in noway would i class it idol worship seeing as we dont actually pray to the guru's or to pictures or statues of them we celebrate by praying to waheguru at his house(gurdwara)Obviously this dicussion is quite hard to fathom and some peoples perception will be different to others.Yes i would suggest we all read some more bani!!!

no isn't its just celebrating the guru's life (am i right?). celebrating someones life isn't worshiping the person, its remembering our roots and teachers. You could say the ardas is all idol worship, we aren't worshping images, rather remembering our history. and isn't sikhi's image that god is everywhere in everything

"In stationary life forms, moving beings, worms, moths and within each and every heart, the Lord is contained. ||1||"

the gurus never said they were god but servants of god. :s, but doesnt a sant become one with God, there becomes a point when there is no distinction between God and his Sant.

Thanks for the response singh i struggle with the last line that there is no distinction between god and his sant/prophet. Obviously there will be in terms of body physical being but in terms of mind/soul this might be correct hard to get your head around :)

• 4 months later...