Battle Of Chillianwala 1849, When Sikhs Defeated The British

lsingh

i am not obcessed with hindu mythology...but i am obcessed with sikh history...i dont like the fact history is being whitewashed just because its distasteful to a segment of the community...

which battle is that account from?...chillianwala? sabroan?.....later battles we had to rely soley on our irregular cavalry who were famed for their gung-ho frontal charges...

Its Chillianwala 1849 , Sobroan was 1846, it was the first time the Sikhs had a truthful leader even though Sher Singh Attariwala was quite inexperienced. He used the infantry artillary and cavalry together for the first time. In the First Sikh war Tej and Lal Singh sent the cavalry away from the battlefield after discussing battle plans with the British how best the Sikh army could be defeated.

http://dawn.com/2012/08/27/i-came-from-the-dreamtime/

290x230-battle-of-chillianwala-monument.jpg?w=670

Photo Courtsey: Tariq Amir

Lala Musa Railway station, Daewoo Bus Terminal Lahore and Heathrow Airport have something in common, they share the ambience of departure and gloom. Much like the changing color of maple leaves, a wide array of emotions envelopes these places. A son departing to bring home prosperity in remittance is different from a daughter leaving for her new home. Apart from this maddening crowd and oblivious of their emotions, is the small group of salesmen, ticket checkers, booking clerks, hawkers and road hostesses. Their indifference somehow maintains the sanity at these otherwise charged places in South East Asia. Only the beggars, who pray for the well being in turn for charity, truly value the sentiments of the visitors and passengers.

Lala Musa is an important and busy junction from where two tracks divert. The rich historical context on both the tracks presents the traveler with the decision dilemma. On one side exists Mong, the remnants of the city set up by Alexander, and on the other side thrives the “Greece of Asia“. The exotic Moughul Baths in Gujrat equal the charm of Sikh chivalry at Chillianwala.

Chillianwala today, is a small village, forgiven and forgotten. Despite the British farsightedness of building a monument and railway station, it is a haunted place with an old banyan tree at the entrance and a few benches over the plat-form. The silences reign the platform and the dust rules the battle field. On moonless nights, the souls of fallen Sikh soldiers sit down together and talk about their chivalry and proud heritage. At the same time, on the other side of the world, in Victoria and along Whitsunday beaches in Australia, their great grand children, now immigrants, sing with pride:

“I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains

I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame

I came upon the prison ship, bowed down by iron chains.

I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.

I’m a settler. And from all the lands on earth we come

We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian.”

Meanwhile, a limping figure comes from the other side and joins the Punjabi gathering. A Major from the famous regiment of Skinner Horse, he was killed by splinters from Sikh Artillery during the battle. His fluent Punjabi amazes the Sikh soldier and he explains how the Punjabi language now forms part of British curriculum and is at par with Welsh. He adds that Chicken Tikka is now available in the frozen food section of Tesco and Wal-marts. The eyes of a Majithia topchi expand with amazement and the Skinner Horse Major walks back to the cross, reciting the Bani of Guru Amar Das

Disanṯar bẖavai anṯar nahī bẖāle.

(He wanders through foreign lands, but does not look within himself.)