J.K. Rowling's New Book about a Sikh Family

Sherdil

I saw this on Sikhchic.com. It's called The Casual Vacancy.

Article Written by Hasan Suroor

Courtesy: The Hindu Newspaper

J.K. Rowling whose new novel, The Casual Vacancy, features a Sikh family at the heart of its plot has said that she has been deeply influenced by Sikhism because of its stress on gender equality.

So, when she thought of introducing a “family of colour” in a predominantly white setting of her novel, “they had to be Sikhs.” It was her way of paying tribute to Sikhism.

Speaking to the BBC as the book was launched on Thursday, Ms Rowling said what attracted her to Sikhism was its "egalitarianism".

“It’s an amazing religion. My interest was sparked years and years and years ago when I was still in my twenties – and a girl I worked with briefly came from a Sikh family. We only ever had one serious conversation on the subject but it has stuck with me. She told me about the fact that men and women were explicitly described as equal in the holy book and that women are not excluded from any part of religious rites or observances. I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

The reason she wanted to have non-white characters in her novel though it was set in “very white place” was because she thought it was an “interesting way” to examine certain social attitudes in a novel that was about “exclusion, prejudice and divisions.”

The novel has been billed as the biggest publishing event of the year.

We need to spread our faith more. Westerners who come into contact with Sikhi adore it. It is selfish for us to keep the Guru's teachings to ourselves.

Introducing people to our faith isn't forcing them to convert. Others can take things from gurbani and apply it to their lives, even if they don't choose to fully become Sikhs.

The ironic thing is, I think this book (written by a non-Sikh) will do more parchaar of our faith than any Sikh institution has done thus far. Just imagine all the J.K. Rowling fans around the world, that will be reading about a Sikh family.

Now we are getting somewhere. We need to use this ample opportunity to capitalize on this women interest in Sikhism..3ho sikh women need to include her in the activities highlighting equality in Sikhism i.e 3ho women panj pyares, seva of sri guru granth sahib ji - sukhshan or parkash, reading gurbani etc ..i m not saying convert her but to bring awareness of sikh traditions and great sikh philosophy and then starting throwing some small doses of human rights abuse happening against sikhs in India. What good way to address human right abuses against sikhs in India through an celebrity/famous author like tibet buddhist have done via Richard Gere.

If i was jathedar of some sort, I would be on my feet running around and capitalizing on this moment :p

Reading more about the book...it seems that one of the characters is a female Sikh doctor, so the book isn't about Sikhs. It just has a Sikh character.

People are saying the book is gritty. Hopefully the Sikh character is portrayed decently. It would be kinda a let-down if she was of less-than-ideal moral character.

I wanna get the book and find out, lol.