Chunniya over dastaara

Guest Daas

Daas has recently been told that women must wear chunniya over their dastaara as per maryada. Even when wearing bana.

Do not understand why, or if this is a common view. Shouldnt men and women wear hazooria with bana rather than chunniya?

Question may seen trivial but Daas would like some input.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Don't know about maryada but women wearing Chunni or Dupatta look more graceful and feminine.

Without salwar kameez & chunni, girls are nothing but Tom Boys.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Everone is Equal

That is right which Marayda? My wife had the same problem with some old ladies. I supported her that she is fine wearing a distar with bana, a hajorria and no chuni. After a while everyone just went on their and had to accept.

I have never heard of this in maryada. Maybe you are following a specific jathebandhi?

As far as I know, in Guru's times the girls just wore a chunni. Except the chunni was of a thicker material and covered below the shoulders too. Kinda hard to describe, but they definitely were not like chuniyah of today. Too see-through and flimsy. Defeats the purpose.

Guest Some Distar Wali

Why did women wear Chuni over distar? You see the upper part of a woman is covered. To solve that problem women who do not want to wear chuni should be replaced with a hoojoria. This way an advantage to a woman they can do seva anytime. Then I ask you old traditionists why do your women wear jeans, or dress pants and shirts? Even in India girls and women who wear distar along with western clothing. Why do you Men wear western clothing? It seems we can not accept a woman not wearing a chuni over their distar is a problem at the Gurdwara or a religious function. You men don't have any offence for us to wear Western Clothing. Or some old mothers or sisters. Are you men or old mothers, afraid of us to look like Guru Gobind Singh's Daughters. Beat it Men and old Ladies you are losing your battle.

I have never heard of this in maryada. Maybe you are following a specific jathebandhi?

As far as I know, in Guru's times the girls just wore a chunni. Except the chunni was of a thicker material and covered below the shoulders too. Kinda hard to describe, but they definitely were not like chuniyah of today. Too see-through and flimsy. Defeats the purpose.

It doesnt really defeat the purpose if one is wearing a dastar... as their head is already covered and the chunni is just a meaningless accessory.

I don't know what maryada, someone told me hence I was confused. Looks like its nothing but cultural expectations!