Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daas

Chunniya over dastaara

Guest Daas

Daas has recently been told that women must wear chunniya over their dastaara as per maryada. Even when wearing bana.

Do not understand why, or if this is a common view. Shouldnt men and women wear hazooria with bana rather than chunniya?

Question may seen trivial but Daas would like some input.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I got told the same as I personally don't like wearing chunniya with bana (personal preference) but don't know if its maryada related; it could be or it could just be punjabi mentality? Maybe someone could give a definite answer :)

Guest Guest

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Don't know about maryada but women wearing Chunni or Dupatta look more graceful and feminine.

Without salwar kameez & chunni, girls are nothing but Tom Boys.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Daas has recently been told that women must wear chunniya over their dastaara as per maryada.

Which Maryada?

Guest Everone is Equal

That is right which Marayda? My wife had the same problem with some old ladies. I supported her that she is fine wearing a distar with bana, a hajorria and no chuni. After a while everyone just went on their and had to accept.

I have never heard of this in maryada. Maybe you are following a specific jathebandhi?

As far as I know, in Guru's times the girls just wore a chunni. Except the chunni was of a thicker material and covered below the shoulders too. Kinda hard to describe, but they definitely were not like chuniyah of today. Too see-through and flimsy. Defeats the purpose.

Guest For Women Equality

Times have changed Equality is much more practiced in the West. To the orginal writer as yourself and stand up for it.

Guest Some Distar Wali

Why did women wear Chuni over distar? You see the upper part of a woman is covered. To solve that problem women who do not want to wear chuni should be replaced with a hoojoria. This way an advantage to a woman they can do seva anytime. Then I ask you old traditionists why do your women wear jeans, or dress pants and shirts? Even in India girls and women who wear distar along with western clothing. Why do you Men wear western clothing? It seems we can not accept a woman not wearing a chuni over their distar is a problem at the Gurdwara or a religious function. You men don't have any offence for us to wear Western Clothing. Or some old mothers or sisters. Are you men or old mothers, afraid of us to look like Guru Gobind Singh's Daughters. Beat it Men and old Ladies you are losing your battle.

Guest daas

I have never heard of this in maryada. Maybe you are following a specific jathebandhi?

As far as I know, in Guru's times the girls just wore a chunni. Except the chunni was of a thicker material and covered below the shoulders too. Kinda hard to describe, but they definitely were not like chuniyah of today. Too see-through and flimsy. Defeats the purpose.

It doesnt really defeat the purpose if one is wearing a dastar... as their head is already covered and the chunni is just a meaningless accessory.

I don't know what maryada, someone told me hence I was confused. Looks like its nothing but cultural expectations!

Guest 321

Bibia should wear chuni to cover their upper chest, that is the purpose to cover part of body that men do not have, nothing to do with looking feminie or it being practical etc. You can see pics of Mai bhago ji wearing a chuni even in battle. In the Guru's time no bibi was ever seen witthout chuni.

Bibia should wear chuni to cover their upper chest, that is the purpose to cover part of body that men do not have, nothing to do with looking feminie or it being practical etc. You can see pics of Mai bhago ji wearing a chuni even in battle. In the Guru's time no bibi was ever seen witthout chuni.

you mean paintings right? paintings done by people who have not seen Mata Bhag Kaur in person. Those paintings can not be used as proof. Just as how we cannot just say the paintings of guru sahib do not predict thats how guru sahib looked like.

as per chuniyan over dastaran its only a punjbai mentality thing. you can wear the chuniyan just around your neck if you want. when wearing bana you body is already covered so there is nothing to worry about so hazoorya is perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Guest Daas

Lol I doubt Mai Bhago wore a chuni in battle... it would have been gone within seconds.

I'm just confused. Guru ji gave us bana. Hazooria are used when doing seva and Singhs wear them with their bana but bibiya have to stick on a chuni instead to 1. look feminine or 2. cover their chest? I don't think Guru ji would have thought so...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• Yeah heard many variations of this sakhi. Do you know what the actual source is? The point I was making is, throughout ithiaas, when Maharaaj seeked to change something, especially as big of a sanskaar as this, things have been clearer. I just find it odd that there isn't any Bani with the Sakhi - and - that a marriage ceremony came up only at the time of Guru Ramdas Ji. Big gap. Something doesn't quite add up. Hmm possibly with regards to the Pandit, although Vedic Saloks whilst walking around a Gutka? Idk about that.   Nobody is fooling themselves. For some reason, and I don't actually know why, you want the fire to be representitive of Agni Devta. A fire can symbolise many things. Meanings and definitions change (as is the case for many things within Sikhi itself); it doesn't necessarily mean it's anthropomorphized or personified in the way you want it to be. This is the same level of reasoning people use to reject the use of jyot (and other practises in common) in Gurdwaras.   I've always said, that if Namdharis were normal Sikhs, they would be one of the most rehitvaan, shardavaan Sampardas we have. Their Maryada is solid and they have many good qualities which they put into practise. Plus their Nitnem is big. I've been to Bhaini Sahib and it's really quite a sight. They have this little building where non-stop Jaap/Simran has been going on since like the 1920s. SGGSJ was prakash in one of the buidings as well; was some kinda of triple Akhand Paath going on. And fyi Ajeet, they do believe in Amrit Sanchar and Panj Kakkar, however they don't wear the Kirpan - they were banned from keeping Shastar during Brit rule and for some unbeknownst reason continued to stay without them. They have kept many Puratan traditions going. It's a shame they've fallen in other areas. And before anyone says it, no I am not promoting Namdharis or letting their manmat views off.
    • If I started this topic why does it bother u ? U probably thought I worship radasoami thete are so many fake babe in sikhi to making up fake storylines and confusing khalsa panth  
    • Sacha Sauda fake guru rampal  asaram gurbachana nirankari radasoamii  there are over 15 radasoami deer with different  guru  
    • Bro im not radasoami or going to be im proud to be guru Nanak patshah sikh I don’t need to join any fake path I had this pangti in mind which could u not explain 🙏   
    • Mate,   did you ask sikhs permission or her families permission when you entered into a relatioship with her ? If you go to smagams and have such high respect for our Guru sahiban and bani - why dont you embrace Sikhi altogether ? Does the religion matter or are you overcome by lust ? Seems like the latter is more applicable in your case. Fruitcake

Important Information

Terms of Use