Benti to all Gurdwara

SikhSeeker

An excellent point has been made here. Thankfully, its something that can be rectified with just a little education. I don't think most of those preparing langar in gurdwaras up and down the country even know that such a thing as a nut allergy even exists. Making them aware however must become a priority because the potential financial and human costs would be severe. At the moment its a terrible accident just waiting to happen.

@Sikhseeker sorry to hear about the experience you and your daughter had. plz message me. I would like to draw up a document of awareness for the gurdwaras, but not sure of how to go about getting it implemented. I have been avoiding langar for few years due to being advised of nut/seed allergies.

Due to health problems have never got around to starting up this awareness.

Very good point you have made, since gurdwaras are open to the public and i feel there should be no exceptions as they are serving to the public.

Think its about time this was put into practise, before somebody else is affected from it.

Any other suggestions please either proceed yourselves or lets correspond with each other on here if its ok with sikhsangat, as there will be people that want to remain gupt, to create a template. I am willing to be involved in this.

Thankuji.

I am on phone now so unable to get info from pc, but just found this, uk site.

At the end of 2014, new legislation will be introduced that will require food businesses to provide allergy information on food sold unpackaged, in for example catering outlets, deli counters, bakeries and sandwich bars. There will also be changes to existing legislation on labelling allergenic ingredients in prepacked foods. Guidance is being developed to help businesses meet these new requirements and this page will be updated as this progresses. More information about the new European legislation can be found on the European Commission website at the link below. If you would like to be kept up-to-date with changes to the legislation contact Sue Hattersley at:sue.hattersley@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk .

Will research on voluntary/charitable organisations tomorrow.

Any more info, please contact me, and lets get the ball rolling.

Thankuji.

Isn't it best to contact the Gurdwaras personally? I remember we had some parshad at a gurdwara in slough and they used butter (which has salt) to make the parshad. well, I went and saw the president, they started blaming the sevadhars. however in the end, the onus is on the management commitee of the gurdwaras. Thats who take in all the money.

Until we don't start approaching them, nothing will happen.

Agree with unbReakable. But depends also on how many committees would take up the awareness. Unfortunately people with allergies have to self manage themselves and take precautions when eating out, as with any other health issue. No place is going to be 100% nut free gluten free wheat free etc.

But its about getting awareness to the gurdwaras, about these allergies so they can provide a comfortable environment for the sangat without confusion of having to decide what is in the langar.

Its a hard issue to tackle as its not like a restaurant where they know what is being served on a regular basis. And with so many sevadars involved how to implement such guidelines is not easy. But its also about just having the knowledge of it, which makes some difference. I sometimes ask the sevadars which items have nuts/seeds in them. Some sevadars, are confused or think i am being fussy, but that's not their fault as they do not have the awareness.

Its also not a language or community issue in my opinion as i have experienced it with people that are fluent in English, and staff members that work in stores that sell food.

Its about getting the awareness across and how?

I think your right there. When you ask a Sevadar, they don't know what is in the daal etc. It would be good to put a document together, but i think going to the committee in person and explaining the situation would be a good way, perhaps put a sign to say that "this daal has x y or z in which some people could find allergic" and at least have someone in the kitchen that knows what daal has what in it.

Well, until you start taking an active role in how the Gurdwara are run, maintained, etc, then you can stand outside and complain all you like, they will never listen. Not until you shake them up.

Example, judging from Sri Guru Singh Sabhas accounts they have surplus cash of nearly 9 million pounds, now I wonder how that will be spent and on what.

Sikh Channel and Sangat TV have not update the Charity Commission with their accounts for nearly a year now, or more. This is where the public can go and see how much money is collected and how much is spent and what is left over.

Did you know that majority of these charitable institutions can make grants to individuals. *alarm bells should be ringing sangat ji*

Sangat needs to wake up

Not sure how this is going to be implemented. If it was the same group of Sikhs creating the langar, you could educate them about avoiding nut contamination but when you have tens or hundreds of Sikhs helping to make langar, you're not going to be able to avoid nut contamination. Given that langar can vary from each Sikh who makes it, the nutritional content would be impossible go determine. Some might use more oil in the food. Someone might add more potatoes etc.

The only option would be for all langar to be standardised to a set recipe eg all mattar paneer has to be made using specific milk, peas, potatoes - not just quantities/ratios but also brands.