Caste system divide - when will it ever stop

Beard

Caste or ethnic group discrimination is unacceptable. Having differences otherwise, based on caste or ethnic group is something to be valued in terms of its diversification. I had a Ramgarhia friend in college who was good at DIY (not my forte at all - got him to put up my shelves for me) and I used to joke that is because of his Tarkhan heritage, whilst he'd admire my garden/ veg plot (his was overgrown and wild and I cleared it for him) and in the same joking vein he'd say its because of my Jatt background. Now either way this does not make any difference in the real world. Not every Tarkhan is a born carpenter and not every Jatt is a born farmer.

When I am back in my pendh I go to the gym in the mornings and its quite a small room above the school, with meagre and basic equipment by western standards. However all the lads are there - Jatt, Churah, Chamar, Kamboh, Bahman...Everyone helps each other eg spotting for someone and everyone sweats togather - never seen any caste discrimination. As long as you contribute Rs200 a month then you're one of the boys!

What I cannot stand is the reservation system in India. Positive discrimination is just an excuse for a poor education sytem that fails the less well off. Its like here in my country (the UK), I do not like the way some universities add weight to the fact that a school is regarded as disadvantaged and therefore bump up the face value grades.

Why be upset about being told that you are to marry within a certain group - our Gurus did not marry out of caste. Your parents will choose someone with your best interests at heart.

Guest dasguruka

Can we stop worrying about what people think of others and actually focus our attention on the Guru? This could solve it. If everyone realized that they're only deceiving themselves by being labeled and ignoring the bigger picture then the castes wouldn't matter.