Bedbi of SGGS in UK by Sikhs

Guest singhster

Dhundha is a product of missionary school where they preach atheism. Leave aside Dasam

Granth dhundha neither understands nor believes in message of SGGS ji. An ill educated

with 10 grade education he is at best an imposter who flaunts undeserved title of professor.

As the recent Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting revealed, individual isolated sangats in middle America seem to be mostly made up of Khatri business families etc

kaleka and dhaliwal families are not khatri sikhs. It is Jat sikhs who dominate in midwest as well. They are the ones who came to USA to begin with about 110 years back.

http://www.sikhpioneers.org/t_usphot.html

kaleka and dhaliwal families are not khatri sikhs. It is Jat sikhs who dominate in midwest as well. They are the ones who came to USA to begin with about 110 years back.

http://www.sikhpione...g/t_usphot.html

Obviously Dhaliwal is a jatt name and Kaleka probably is also if you say so although its a name I'm unfamilar with as it doesn't exist much in doaba and I'm no expert on the mid west, but I am not only very familiar but also family connected to the pioneers that came '100 years back' and can assure you that they have absolutely no connection whatsoever with the mid west. The 'Bains' and 'Johal' sides of my family arrived in the west coast of America in the very early 1900's and, like the other Sikhs, were settled in the Imperial Valley of southern California before moving to and settling in northern California, notably Yuba City. If you are privy to information about these pioneers moving to the mid west (wisconsin) you ought to share it with the rest of us. As far as I am aware those mid west sangats are almost entirely made up of relatively recent immigrants setting up businesses in those localities.

These families were the pioneer Indians that settled in wisconsin area in early 1960s. They were instrumental in setting up Gurudwaras in that area singlehandedly.

So was the case in other states such as Indiana, Ohio, michigan etc.Most of sikh immigrants to these parts started arriving in 1960s when american immigration was opened for Indian professionals only. before that it was not possible for Indians to come to USA legally. There was no businessmen category in relaxed immigration policy as they needed doctors and engineers and not businessmen. Most of the new immigrants in this wave were sikhs from rural Punjab who opted first to go as they were not well off in Punjab and were to benefit most in this land of opportunity.

Most sikh pioneers to california were to arrive in Northern california. San Francisco was preferred destination.

Very few ventured to go to southern part.

They participated in building freeway I80( San Francisco to New york) and worked around present vaccaville area of northern california and worked from there to salt lake city, Utah.

http://www.sikhpione...ngelisland.html

http://www.sikhpione...ikhFarmers.html

Between 1903-1908, Punjabis primarily worked on Western Pacific Railways in Northern California. Two thousand Punjabis worked on a 700-mile road between Oakland and Salt Lake City, which is probably modern interstate 80.

http://www.sikhpione...ictures/014.jpg

http://www.sikhpioneers.org/images/Display%20Pictures/013.jpg

These families were the pioneer Indians that settled in wisconsin area in early 1960s. They were instrumental in setting up Gurudwaras in that area singlehandedly.

So was the case in other states such as Indiana, Ohio, michigan etc.Most of sikh immigrants to these parts started arriving in 1960s when american immigration was opened for Indian professionals only. before that it was not possible for Indians to come to USA legally. There was no businessmen category in relaxed immigration policy as they needed doctors and engineers and not businessmen. Most of the new immigrants in this wave were sikhs from rural Punjab who opted first to go as they were not well off in Punjab and were to benefit most in this land of opportunity.

Most sikh pioneers to california were to arrive in Northern california. San Francisco was preferred destination.

Very few ventured to go to southern part.

They participated in building freeway I80( San Francisco to New york) and worked around present vaccaville area of northern california and worked from there to salt lake city, Utah.

Most of what you just said there is totally at odds with my own extended family's history handed down orally. Of course I can't say that my relation's experience applies to all but I must take their experience as typical. From what the pioneer bajurgs have told me - and I like nothing better than to sit with them and ask - nearly every single Sikh pioneer arrived through Angel Island (san francisco) and from there half went north to Oregon and work as both lumberjacks and railroad workers, and most of these moved to Vancouver after the riots. The other half moved to southern California to what at that time was America's largest Sikh community - In the Imperial Valley near the border with Mexico. Slowly, but surely, the Imperial Valley Sikhs started to move north to areas around Yuba City.

You are well within your rights to question the sanity and memory of the bajurgs but never have they told me about any mass movement by even a few to the mid west.

Are you perhaps confusing the early 1900 pioners with relatively recent immigrants of the 1960's ?

STockton ( 80 miles from San Francisco) was the town where early pioneers settled and continued to settle afterwards as well in those days.That is how first Gurudwara was built there about 100 years back. Then they settled in sacramento valley where yuba city falls in and made it their home.Dalip singh saundh who became first asian congressman in usa was its secretary in those days.

Imperial valley is in southern part and was never the ideal place for settlement as northern california is rich in agriculture with delta area( Stockton) being the most fertile land in uSA.

There were riots in Belligham,wa but sikhs never left USA because of that though there may be a few cases.

It is important to note that early pioneers were not legal immigrants as immigration from India was banned. They had arrived enduring hardships by illegal means some walking all the way from panama city to arizona.

US immigration was opened to Indians ( Only professionals) in 1960s and most of the settlers in mid west are from that category alongwith those who immigrated as extended families of these professionals.As told earlier 1960s immigration was confined to those who had a university degree in the field of medicine and sciences.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MealaeCOAKJ

I found this thread because I too am in north america and am interested to know what happened. The haumai/know-it-all attitude of some of the users on this thread frighten me, and I can see why they so much love to be jathebandhi types

Guest Khalsa007

Judging from WLS posts, he must lead a very lonely unhappy life! I also have it good authority he is a pakistani Muslim guy, pretending to be sikh for the purposes of this site! Beware u have been warned

Judging from WLS posts, he must lead a very lonely unhappy life! I also have it good authority he is a pakistani Muslim guy, pretending to be sikh for the purposes of this site! Beware u have been warned

:biggrin2: Care to elaborate on who this magical imaginary 'good authority' of yours is ?

Anyway....where does this 'lonely unhappy life' business come from ? I'm intrigued. Not having led either a lonely nor an unhappy life I'm intrigued as to how you reach such a conclusion. What strange thought mechanism does your mind go through when its decides that anyone that doesn't have the same viewpoint as you must be:

• A Pakistani
  • A Lonely man
  • An unhappy man