Christmas gifts?

Guest Liz

I live in Canada, and I'm not Sikh. My family celebrates Christmas. I like to give gifts to the people who deliver our newspaper and to our family doctor at Christmas, but this year, the paper carriers and our doctor are Sikh.

What do I do? Is it offensive to give a Christmas gift? If I buy something not specifically Christmassy, do I write "happy holidays" on the card? Are there even any Sikh holidays around that time? Do I wait until the new year and give something to wish them well in the new year?

I just don't know what to do! Hoping someone can help me!

Thanks!

No it' not offensive. ..don't be silly !!

It's offensive to even think what your thinking !!!!!

If a sikh does not wish to accept, he will KINDLY decline in a very nice and polite manner.

Sikhs are not like jeohavas, we do NOT get offended.

Only if you mistake us for hindu or muslim.

I live in Canada, and I'm not Sikh. My family celebrates Christmas. I like to give gifts to the people who deliver our newspaper and to our family doctor at Christmas, but this year, the paper carriers and our doctor are Sikh.

What do I do? Is it offensive to give a Christmas gift? If I buy something not specifically Christmassy, do I write "happy holidays" on the card? Are there even any Sikh holidays around that time? Do I wait until the new year and give something to wish them well in the new year?

I just don't know what to do! Hoping someone can help me!

Thanks!

I live in Canada as well.Sikhs are freindly so dont be shy.I celebrate christmas as well.

Let's not start blowing our own bajhas (trumpets) !! :lol2:

But Yes, we are different, we resepct and enjoy this festive season. I always had presents when I was a kid and my kids always get them.

Unlike some other cultures, who don't acknowledge they are in a foreign culture, we look at things more realistically.

If all the christians are treating each other, their familes and paying visits to as much family, Then- why can't we, is what we say.

Afterall, we are all given holidays by the state regardless of our faiths, so we should embrace this time.

Guest UK_Sikh

Hello Liz

I am a Sikh, from the UK, I don't celebrate Christmas but I know of others that do in Cananda. I don't think you will offend anyone by offering a gift.

The only thing I would suggest is, if you are buying biscuits or chocolates to check that they don't contain meat (in the form of beef gelatine for example), egg or alcohol. Some Sikhs follow a strict diet or are vegetarian, baptised Sikhs will not be able to consume any of the ingredients mentioned. However, this may not be the case in your situation but just to make you aware.

Hope that helps.

I don't know what xmas is like in Canada but here in England, where Christianity hardly exists anymore, christmas has nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with the great prophet Santa. The prophet Santa has no religion. He is adored by children of all creeds and faiths. Christmas is a great time for kids. Celebrate it. Just don't go ruining Santa's big day by unecessarily bring Jesus and Christianity into it.

Thoughtful of you to ask and to think of sharing your holiday spirit with them. I really don't think they would be offended at all. From what I've seen, Sikhs in Surrey BC celebrate Christmas with more gusto than many of my Christian friends. Sikhs take joy in giving to people of all faiths without any distinction, particularly in serving langar (food.). After all, we are all human. (There's a rigid fanatical minority in any group, hopefully you won't bump into any of those jokers.)

Merry Christmas!