Akhand Path & Money??

S1ngh

Post i got from Sikh-history.com forum.. thought worth to read it...

----------

Dear All,

I am in the process of arranging a 'Akhand Paat' at ther rebuilt Singh Sabha Grdwara in Southall...however after my family consulted them regarding it, they camback with a minimum price of £650....and that is at the Gurdwara and not at home.

Now I just can't figure why it should be that expensive........are the short-term visa gyani's trying to optimize their limited stay...is it to do with the costs of a building that is empty more often than not.....for I'm tempted to donate £650 to a well known charity and forget it?

http://www.sikh-history.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001547

Guest SikhForLife

whoa thats a lot of money -- over $1000 US dollars

but then again.. i disagree with someone doing akhand path for u

its funny.. cuz.. the only person benefiting from this is the gyani reading it.. and the people listening to him.

unless your reading/listening sggs urself.. i dont see how u can benefit from this..

do a sehaj paath .. if u cant do the akhand paath on ur own

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guru Pyari Sadh Sangat Jee,

1. We are critisizing gyanis and raggis performing akhand paats on money basis but as we know supply depends on demand so first it is our fault that today our families can not do akhand paat themselves and we are depending on some professional paathis to perform it .

2. Keeping akhand path in house on marriage & other occassions is becoming a ritual only, the real love & respect is lost somewhere.

bhul chuk maaf

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh

Sadh Sangat Jee

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

This issue really need immediate attention of sikh intellectuals, there should be a common code of conduct which should be follow everywhere in the world for conducting an akhand path sahib jee. Why not a hukamnama or instruction of dos/ don'ts for conducting an akhand paths issue from Akal Takhat Sahib jee.

Please read the following too :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of thanks to you for touching a topic, which is effecting every Guru Nanak Nam Leva these days. I would like to put below the following few questions to the well wishers of the Panth and I think there should be a healthy discussion on the topic

1. when instead of at home we get the akhand Path at a gurdwara. we go on the first day paricipate in Ardas, get the path started and then reach Gurdwara on the Bhog time. listen to Salok Mohalla 9 and make payment and come back.

2. Booking of an Akhand Path at some Tirath Asthan,send the money, and get the Hukamnama, by post.

3. What is the use of the Paths when we boast that 11 or 21 or even 51 and 101 akahnd paths or being done simultaneously. different Pathis do path silently and the Bhog is performed exactly at the same time, as if the path speed is computerised.

Then inGurdwaras atimportant functions say at Gurpurab times or at the behest of some influential Sikhs, Akhand Path is started, but by silencing Pathis, we do kirtan/katha or even lecture and announcements.

There may be so many other issues relati

ng to the paths, namely who is entitled to recite at akahnd path,amritdhari or non amritdhari or sehajdharis, and the mandatory condition with regard to taking baths etc. Then there is Dhoop Agarbati, Keeping Pitchers (Ghara) for amrit. and so many other manmat activities.

If we do path only for self satisfaction, for duniydari or for getting wah wah or out ofcompulsion, say at the time of some deaths etc, it is simply a ritual or Karam Kand.

any how I would like that the intellectuals should come forward with their views. we My come to some conclusion, if we are serious about the issue.

Jagjit Singh