Need advice/ spiritual support

Guest gSingh

Hi sangat, I am new to this, I have made an account however I am unable to post for some reason, therefore I have made a guest account.

I am 18 years old, and I am a mohna. I am trying to follow sikhi, guru jis teaching, recently becoming vegetarian with guru ji's kirpa.

Reading more paath and becoming more interested in kirtan and katha. In fact I am aiming everyday to get rid of 5 evils and get closer to god, I am finding it difficult to find 'sat sangat' I mean people are calling me extreme, and other words. Tried to speaking to others (SINGHS) and they don't what to know. I mean I feel because I have cut hair that people disregard me, which I feel is not what Sikhi is about. I want to grow my hair and follow guru jis teachings but I dont know if I should or not...I am doing simran regularly, paath, seva, and it makes me feel good but like I don't feel connected with God. I haven't experienced the true feeling of Waheguru I guess. But I have all my faith in God. I just want someone, anyone to guide me, I feel bad. No one seems to care, whats this so called sat sangat then? I guess we really are living in kal yug, where no-one seems to look out for others. If anyone could please reply I would appreciate it, I feel inside I have much to achieve with gurus kirpa. but I just need reassuring :(

Thank you so much for taking the time out to read this, I hope someone can help me cause I'm llosing faith, I've given up a lot of stuff, like: Drinking, clubbing, girls, meat, and I dont know if its worth it or not....

You've made awesome, awesome steps. Don't give up because you feel like you're being excluded or anything like that. Occasionally it's tough to break into social groups especially if they've been formed for a considerable time; it's human nature to be wary of outsiders. Although those Singhs should remember they're representing Guru Ji's Sikhs and they aren't bouncers guarding an exclusive club. But, whatever, that's the way these things are.

All I can say is keep everything going, and keep moving forward. Sangat is recommended for Sikhs, but don't lose heart if you don't find it immediately.

Seriously impressed with how far you've come, bro.

Wow you are doing so good, but Noways dont give up. Its like when you start something there will be obstacles and maybe hard at times, but for some people that's part of the process. And this is the enjoyable bit, probably sounds odd hearing this, but when you do your own mehnat (effort) and struggle a bit for what you want it will feel more rewarding in the end. Like sitting exams you have to study hard for them and sometimes you will feel like giving up, but you know you have to pass them to get good results and a good job. Think of this journey as the same too, you will become more wiser than without this experience.

Regarding sat sangat, go to the gurdwara, is there any classes you can attend there?

Some people actually are not lucky in having much sat sangat, and are grateful for all they get. As long as you believe in yourself that Waheguru is with you, that's the best sangat you can be with.

Dont worry, and if you are passionate for what you want, Maharaj ji makes sure you will get it.

Its not easy and its not hard, its being able to comprise with what we have and how hard we expect ourselves to work for it, without the over stress. Make it an enjoyable journey, not a stressful one and dont worry about competing with others.

I find it disheartening that other Sikhs have not welcomed you. There should be no cliques or circles - we should be welcoming to all who wish to learn, irrespective of cast, creed or colour.

Do not be discouraged by what you have experienced. As above, in this world, only Guru Ji is the True Friend. Continue your journey into Sikhi and do not let such small obstacles stop you.

Thats amazing to hear, first try not judge Sikhism by ones who follow it, you will find a lot of people on the outside have the Roop (look) of a Sikh but may be less Sikh you expect them to be.

Sikhism is the pursuit of Truth; you should start with trying to understand these underlying tenets, Mun, Kaal, Punj Choor, Chitar gupt, Daram Raja, Trai Gun

thihee gunee sansaar bhram suthaa suthiaa rain vihaanee |

The world is asleep in the three modes and doubt; it passes the night of its life sleeping.

It may feel like you’ve been thrown in to the deep end, but these are the basics of Sikhism, we need to understand what Sat Guru has said why we are here and as the above shabad explains, we are asleep in 3 modes and doubt, understanding this is beginning to learning how the mind has been corrupted.

Well done !!

You sound like you are making excellent progress !

You should stay calm and focused by trying not to rush or to take any steps backwards.

I know there are many amritdharies and gursikhs who won't give any regard or inspiration to anyone who is mona.

The problem is that some of these amritdharies feel that they are above and untouchable once they become full sikhs !!

Some even believe that they have the status of 'Gurmukh' once they have taken amrit !!

sad,sad,sad....very sad...................

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

18 is an age when you go through a lot of changes in life, like leaving school & mates.

It is a time to choose your own life path (career & religious).

Sangat has a great impact so keep good company.

Will suggest that you join a Sikhi Camp.

It's good place to learn Gurmat & meet Gursikhs.

In the long run, visit Gurdwaras in India (Darbar Sahib Amritsar, Anandpur Sahib, Baru Sahib).

If possible, join a college or Uni which has good number of Sikh students.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Guest _gSingh_

I am so thankful for all your replies, you are all right. It is a shame that some people aren't keen to help others out, begs the question, what are they doing? I mean the other day hunna, I was at gurdwara washing dishes and a bibi came to me and said she'd do it because I was taking too long so I went, also I am aiming to grow my hair and keep my beard. There's something inside me which is saying; go for it! forgetwhat anyone else thinks. My mum is against it for some reason, my dad is a sengh. She keeps asking me if I'm going to cut it, but at the moment I don't see any reason to cut it. I am not in this world to impress anyone (especially girls) therefore I want to represent my religion. I am reading paath, listening to asa di // at gurdwara, I get a nice feeling and I feel amazing after and that is it. Is there anything more I can do? Haven't had any other spiritual moment or experience, will it come with time? Also I have made an account at sikh sangat.com but for some reason I can't start a topic, I thank you alll so much for your motivation and encouragement, wish other sangat would do the same. Instead of judge me for my appearance, I wasn't born with a kes so who are others to judge me? But koi na I will keep trying to progress on this path and hopefully make a difference. Thank you so much everyone, Satche Patshah kirpa karo!! WAHEGURU

Guest _gSingh_

Gurbani Grammar By Giani Amritpal singh Ludhiana on Youtube.

It will help you to understand gurbani. Keep faith.

I will check it out, thank you so much for that. I want to learn Gurbani and follow guru Jis teachings