Free will

This thing is hard to sort...

On one side we say every thing happens according to the will of GOD

n on other side it is said... a person is judged by the deeds he does.. two contradicting statments...

Now if we look for Free-will.... - if a person is free then the statement "every thing happens according to the will of GOD" will be false... but almost in all granths... beat bible, gita, SGGS g.... everywhere it is mentioned.. Ek patta v Waheguru de hukam bina nahi hilda....

Eh ta mainu v samajh ni aunda... two contradicting statments :wow: if we think again again we will start questioning the God for what he is :stupidme:

It's not that difficult !!

It's just that too many people complicate it !

If you just look at 'free-will' as your God given ability to decide between two choices, then you can try to understand what gives you this free-will. It's because the free-will itself is part and under Hukam.

It's the free-will that gives someone the capability to commit sins or bujher kurehit!

If you want ot become Gurmukh, then the idea is to 'SUBMIT' yourself completely to the divine will, so that there is no more 'ME,ME,ME' or 'I, I, I,'.. therefore your self-will is no longer as powerful to take you away from the path!

In effect, to become Gurmukh, you need yor 'Self-will' that helps you SUBMIT completely to the divine Hukam !!

Do you begin to understand it a little better ??

First, just look at it as I've mentioned without bringing in karma or past deeds into the equation, because that's when you complicate yourself!

Let the understanding of Hukam come first, and then bring in or start looking at karma and deeds.

Khalsa Ji

When we are faced with choices in life the decision that we take is based on our Paralabdh {accumulation of past deeds}. The decisions are also goverened by kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar. Our paralabdh compels us to act in a certain way. The nasha {intoxication} of maya also dictates what decisions we make. Naam is the fire that burns our pararabdh to a cinder hence it becomes fruitless. Naam also sobers us up from the nasha of maya. Once the nasha has worn off and the pararabdh ceases to be one still makes decisions but the difference being that one does not face dukh.

Waheguru.

That is a very good explanation !

It makes more sense and becomes easier to understand once you realise what 'free-will' is OR what we 'think' it is !

So it's like we have a mind of our own then?

NO, you don't have a mind of your own as opposed to God's !!

It is ALL His!!!

He has given your mind the capability to make these decisions whilst here !!

Because your mind can only control simple 'this way. that way' or 'yes,no'....etc...etc..

It can NOT control how long you are here or where you will be at such a timein the future !!

Just the mool mantar tells us that he is much more than All-knowing !

So then how can a human have free will? An all-knowing God already knows what you will do in the future. Also he is the creator and all doer as Gurbani states. Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj being the creator and all-knowing, then what is it that he did not create or do or not know?

Is your mind not subject to the creation of Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj?

So then how can a human have free will? An all-knowing God already knows what you will do in the future. Also he is the creator and all doer as Gurbani states. Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj being the creator and all-knowing, then what is it that he did not create or do or not know?

Is your mind not subject to the creation of Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj?

First of all Singhji, I don't know what free-will, laws of nature and divine hukam exactly means to you ??

I'm not sure where you stand with this view point.

What we are trying to discuss is the confusion over free-will and the divine will of hukam from what I gather.

It seems that some members are getting impressions that it 'contradcist' !!

First of all Singhji, I don't know what free-will, laws of nature and divine hukam exactly means to you ??

I'm not sure where you stand with this view point.

I don't think that is important as you have defined free-will already and now this discussion can move forward from there. You have defined it as:

The easiest way to look at it- is that Free-will is our God-given ability to take steps and make decisions that we are faced with.

But all of this free-will and created karma come under the Governing Umbrella of Hukam, so Hukam still oversees everything.