Good article on Sikh farmers in Georgia

proactive

The only opportunity that I can see here will for the first few farmers who go there and buy up land really cheap and make it productive and then sell out at a big profit. The others who will follow them will buy the land at a higher price and will be less able to sell when the land reaches it's full productive capacity. When this happens the ones left holding onto the land will either have to make their lives there or come back and lose whatever paper profit they sat on. It's a bit like a pyramid scheme, the first few rungs make all the money and the bottom rungs make some until the flow of new members dries up and then the bottom rungs lose all their money.

Yup, that's the way it is.. Early investors will reap the benefits than later entrants (as we know there will be many), however those who went first are also the one who are facing lots of difficulties than later entry farmers.

Exactly like African Americans fought hard for civil rights back in 50's/60's thus decades later making it easy for other color ppl to enjoy freedom in America (like us).

How is that?

Large land owners owning more land than they can farm and legging it to the West to live the high life whilst small farmers/rural workers live a third world existence and send their sons/daughters abroad to work as menial labour/prostitutes. Desperation to get the most of the land leading to overuse of fertilizer which leads to eutrophication, poisonous drinking water, lower water levels etc, but they still dont understand any of that. Overuse of fertiliser = good in their minds, but in reality it just means bumper profits for the companies making the fertilizer. Most people think its the Indian government who are behind the poisoning lol. Add to that NRIs investing in land and then moaning that the prices are so high and East Punjabis are so poor... because they cant afford land to farm as the NRIs drive the price up. Then NRIs moan there is nothing else to invest in in East Punjab so they buy more land they will never farm. Youngsters there see this and become obsessed with getting out of India no matter what, and we all know the problems that leads to. Then we in the west just cry 'oh its a secret war against us'. Yeah maybe it is, but we arent exactly helping ourselves here.

If anything the NRIs especially from the UK are selling off land rather than buying it. I know of four families who have sold off all of their and rather than keeping the money in India, have bought it to the UK. The NRI problem if there is one is mainly from those who have recently migrated via family reunions to the USA and Canada. They have given out their lands on maamla and they demand top rates even though it could be uneconomic for the farmers taking the land on maamla. Recently I have seen more and more small farmers just farm their own land and not take any extra land on maamla which in essence just means farming land which would otherwise be left fallow and lining the pockets of the NRI owners whilst breaking their own backs for very little benefit. If this happens on a larger scale then land prices in the villages will start to go down and more and more land will be left fallow. Maamla in Ludhiana district is over 35,000 rupees per acre which if you count the cost of the inputs such as fertiliser, labour etc is clearly uneconomic. The small farmer are being shafted from all sides. The local labour doesn't want to work on the fields as they can work in the towns or their sons and daughters are getting into high paid govt jobs. The Bhaiyas demand high wages plus food and accommodation. The farmer have to even buy the sharab and doday as well. The local labour during the old days would work for a share of the produce but not now, yet even though they do not work for the farmers their women will still steal crops during the night from the fields. As I said the small farmer is shafted from all sides in Punjab.

farming in punjab is dying and i am glad that we sold our land few years ago. Is Maamla means Teeka? No sane person would ever enter the farming sector in punjab as most of the time input cost exceeds the output and plus all such govt' subsidies are joke. If one counts the mehnat (physical labor) then farming is not worth it at all. Not only that, green revolution of 70's and 80's/90's did extensive damage to environment, water tables and health of punjabis.

It is true that our people are too emotionally attached with farmlands of punjab but they need to find other job sector. Or maybe punjabi farmers should get creative and opt for "Bagh/Fruits", organic farming for export (but then again delhi would never allow that).

The life of a typical active punjabi farmer of few acres is "Hell". They can't sell with their own price, they can't sell it to other than govt and thug/mafia system of baniya people - arthiya system. It is more like slave rather than independent businessman.

farming in punjab is dying and i am glad that we sold our land few years ago. Is Maamla means Teeka? No sane person would ever enter the farming sector in punjab as most of the time input cost exceeds the output and plus all such govt' subsidies are joke. If one counts the mehnat (physical labor) then farming is not worth it at all. Not only that, green revolution of 70's and 80's/90's did extensive damage to environment, water tables and health of punjabis.

It is true that our people are too emotionally attached with farmlands of punjab but they need to find other job sector. Or maybe punjabi farmers should get creative and opt for "Bagh/Fruits", organic farming for export (but then again delhi would never allow that).

The life of a typical active punjabi farmer of few acres is "Hell". They can't sell with their own price, they can't sell it to other than govt and thug/mafia system of baniya people - arthiya system. It is more like slave rather than independent businessman.

Someone in our pind did a bagh of kinoos. He had the best kinoos in all of India, but didn't win the official prize because his spacing between the trees wasn't according to the guidelines. He took us there with prem to show us and I snapped a few shots - the thing was filled with kinoos!

They make good money according to Indian standard, but it takes five years of hard work before you can see any return.

Punjab is dying in many respects, mainly unethical agricultural practices that is plaguing Punjab and the once fertile land. I think it would be smart for people to transfer jameenan to western farms here in the US, Canada or UK, but I guess it's up to the siyane to decide what's best as they do know what's best.

Organic farming is the way of the future.

My goal when I'm established w/ my career/profession is to get some farm land, a modest house, and do some organic farming and grow most of my own food instead of the GMOs that the 1% invest in (they cause sterility in rats and cancer - you can imagine what they will do to humans over the generations).

The only reason to keep land in Punjab I see is to keep your "roots" alive and the attachment of having it over the generations, but in this case I think it can be destructive. I've heard about people stealing jameenan and land mafias taking them over if the NRIs aren't too sharp.

It's an unstable region and a bad investment from a business and realistic standpoint in my opinion.