ਸੁਨਹੁ ਲੋਕਾ ਮੈ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
Sunahu Lokaa Mai Praem Ras Paaeiaa ||
Listen, O people: I have tasted the elixir of love.
ਦੁਰਜਨ ਮਾਰੇ ਵੈਰੀ ਸੰਘਾਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਿਵਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Dhurajan Maarae Vairee Sanghaarae Sathigur Mo Ko Har Naam Dhivaaeiaa ||1|| Rehaao ||
The evil ones are dead, and my enemies are destroyed. The True Guru has given me the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||
Here, iust before the rahao tuk, it is saying ''listen o' people, I have tasted the ras of love !
Then the rahao line,- and the evil ones are dead and enemies are destroyed,, I have killed the evil doers and overcome the vices in my mind.
It then goes on to say ''how, exactly this has been done''
ਪ੍ਰਥਮੇ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥
Prathhamae Thiaagee Houmai Preeth ||
First, I renounced my egotistical love of myself.
Firtsly(prathamae), I gave up (thiageethe love(preet) of my ego(haumai).
NOTE- if you think about just this little tuk, you realize that we ALL have more LOVE for ourselves because the most important thing that comes first is one's own ego.
We always think of Self importance. and our EGO comes first before anyone else's.
ਦੁਤੀਆ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਲੋਗਾ ਰੀਤਿ ॥
Dhutheeaa Thiaagee Logaa Reeth ||
Second, I renounced the ways of the world.
Then 2ndly (dhutheeaa), I gave up or detached myself (thiaagee) from whatever the rest of the people were doing (logaa reeth)
ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਦੁਰਜਨ ਮੀਤ ਸਮਾਨੇ ॥
Thrai Gun Thiaag Dhurajan Meeth Samaanae ||
Renouncing the three qualities, I look alike upon friend and enemy.
This is saying next or 3rdly - I gave up (thiaag) the 3 qualities of maya world. and I see enemies and friends equally and as one (samaamae).
NOTE- that even though this is the 3rd step in the 'HOW' after rahao tuk, it is not about getting rid of the 3rd quality of maya.- little confusing!!
ਤੁਰੀਆ ਗੁਣੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧ ਪਛਾਨੇ ॥੨॥
Thureeaa Gun Mil Saadhh Pashhaanae ||2||
And then, the fourth state of bliss was revealed to me by the Holy One. ||2||
I understood or recognized (pashaanae) the 4th gun( turia gun) on finding or meeting (mil) with the Guru and his teachings.
This 4th state is the chautha pad or turiya which is achieved when one transcends the 3 qualitites of material maya which are raj,tamo and sat.
I think that should help see the angle that this shabad is coming from !!!
Also, I think it covers the khands, starting with gian, then saram and karam khand.

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਦੁਰਜਨ ਮੀਤ ਸਮਾਨੇ ॥

Thrai Gun Thiaag Dhurajan Meeth Samaanae ||
Renouncing the three qualities, I look alike upon friend and enemy.
This is saying next or 3rdly - I gave up (thiaag) the 3 qualities of maya world. and I see enemies and friends equally and as one (samaamae).
NOTE- that even though this is the 3rd step in the 'HOW' after rahao tuk, it is not about getting rid of the 3rd quality of maya.- little confusing!

ਤਿਆਗਿ =ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ this is how this word is translated.

Love, ego, affection all are maya.

Renouncing them is called ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ(I assume)

Need some more study on this topic

Specifically on ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ

ਤਿਆਗਿ =ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ this is how this word is translated.

Love, ego, affection all are maya.

Renouncing them is called ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ(I assume)

Need some more study on this topic

Specifically on ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ

Three Gunas of maya are tamo Gunn, rajo gun and sato gun.Whenever in gurbani three gunas come that means these gunas of maya.

Three Gunas of maya are tamo Gunn, rajo gun and sato gun.Whenever in gurbani three gunas come that means these gunas of maya.

I know this.

But we need to look into the view below. How is these gunas have been talked and treated in baani.

NOTE- that even though this is the 3rd step in the 'HOW' after rahao tuk, it is not about getting rid of the 3rd quality of maya.- little confusing!!

I know this.

But we need to look into the view below. How is these gunas have been talked and treated in baani.

Firstly I think -thiaag- ਤਿਆਗਿ means not just to give up or detach from, but more so 'overcome' or 'transcend'

I think that to overcome and conquer these 3, one has to learn to recognize them at all times.

Whenever you are doing something, -Ask yourself ''What exactly is this ??, what mode of maya ???

We could start another topic about Maya and 3 gunas if you wish, but I think you may be confusing yourself a little (which is very easy with this topic)

And GPS is very correct- Naam simran Helps one to recognise and conquer these.

I'm not sure how it exactly does this directly, but if you try naam simran- then you soon realize that you are MORE AWARE of maya and can distinguish it easier.

I think it's because Naam simran helps one FIND THEMSELVES and the Waheguru within.

Many people that don't do simran, won't understand what i'm talking about, and will think I'm talking rubbish !

That's why, you only know if you try it.

INTUITON- is a big thing in simran and bhakti.

It is when you simply KNOW the answer without even asking the question.

Gurbani mentions it as the 'UNSPOKEN WORD' from the Lord.

It is as if Guruji, just tells you telepathically that ''this is this and that is that' !!