Stop Caste Discrimination Demonstration 16th April 2013

sweetshera

^Well I think this will cause a lot of Sikh employers who are Castist to be wary... mocking an employee for their Caste or calling them by their caste name might be enough grounds for them to sue...

I think its needed. Even the younger generation... I've seen a guy in DJ Roadshow business get mocked and verbally abused because of his caste... But mostly I've seen it in factories where a large amount of older punjabi people work where the pack mentality kicks in...

It seems most people on here disagree, but unfortunately it happens amongst Sikhs aswell.

What a load of nonsense , what caste discrimination?, these so called low castes, have good jobs , businesses, nice homes, money (wealth) , have opened there own places of worship, eat well, a good life same as any one else, so what are they bleeting on about, if they were in india they would have known what caste discrimination is, even there it is less than what it was! stop this nonsense , or you will end up labeling your selves forever, the caste system is finishing anyway.

UK = Paji, like it or not, there is caste discrimination still going on in the UK. As Sikhi is the ultimate destroyer of the wretched caste system as proved on Vasakhi 1699 our Qaum in the UK should be at the forefront of stamping out this cancer and the vestiges of it that still remain in the UK despite it being 2013. The proposed legislation does not impact those who are not victims of discrimination.

Pathetic. Even in India they get reservated jobs.

Emi burriya vango rohi jaana.

UK = Jandialvi Paji where discrimination occurs Sikhi teaches us to eradicate it (rather than pretend that it doesn't exist)

Yet again another band wagon job! "Oh others are protesting about rights so we better too" the whole point people came over here is the fact that there isn't these kinda of medieval differences!

UK = PSN Paji agreed that the supporters of jaath-paath ought to go back to India so they can practise their stupid beliefs freely ... but protesting and fighting against discrimination is what Sikhi is all about!

... silly things like caste, which is dying out anyway, but maybe they dont want it to,because then they wont have anything to cry about if it does finish (no excuses and all that) :lol2:

Get over it and be grateful you aint living in india, could always go back if they dont like it here, see how the brahmins treat them!!

UK = Paji this proposed legislation ought to be the final nail in the coffin of caste discrimination in the UK. Don't forget that this legislation would render Balmiki, Ravidassia, Bhatra and Ramgarhia Gurdwara's with their exclusionary committees redundant so that we can get back to the saanjhay Gurdwaray we had prior to 1984. That being said, respect for your part in the Telford Nagar Kirtan ... but please try to build bridges so that our brothers and sisters from your local Bhawan participate in your town's Nagar Kirtan ... as the innocent Sangat are natural Sikhs (but committee walay under the influence of Dera Ballan wish to separate the Sangat so they have a monopoly over the innocent Bhawan Sangat's offerings). We can only counteract that by pyaar, building bridges, attacking discrimination wherever it occurs and reminding people of Shaheed Baba Sangat Singh Ji, Bhai Jaita Ji, Giani Ditt Singh Ji and others who have played such a prominent role in ensuring our Panth's survival against overwhelming odds.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/66391-mergers-so-that-only-1-gurdwara-per-local-area/

Sorry, but can somebody highlight why Sikh organisations / SikhChannel / sangat TV any worried about this???

Wat affect it will have on Sikhs? I think it should not, although thereotically we say no caste in Sikh religion, practically there is, but still - does legislation has anything to do with SIKHS in particular???

UK = Khalsa Ji it the proposed legislation has no negative impact on Sikhs. In fact it is positive legislation and we should be seen at the forefront of it if we are serious about wanting more of the oppressed in India to join the Sikh Panth. British legislation is applicable to everyone and cannot make specific mention of Sikhs - as we bitterly oppose the wretched Caste System as evidenced most clearly by Vasakhi 1699.

UK = Anyone not working today should definitely make time to support this demonstration as not least the fact is Sikhi is all about Sarbat da Bhalla

UK = Paji, like it or not, there is caste discrimination still going on in the UK. As Sikhi is the ultimate destroyer of the wretched caste system as proved on Vasakhi 1699 our Qaum in the UK should be at the forefront of stamping out this cancer and the vestiges of it that still remain in the UK despite it being 2013. The proposed legislation does not impact those who are not victims of discrimination.

UK = Paji this proposed legislation ought to be the final nail in the coffin of caste discrimination in the UK. Don't forget that this legislation would render Balmiki, Ravidassia, Bhatra and Ramgarhia Gurdwara's with their exclusionary committees redundant so that we can get back to the saanjhay Gurdwaray

I agree with most of your points, but i dont think this legislation (if it comes in) will make a major difference, what will happen is that our kids , who we have not told anything about this may start to ask awkward questions, i feel caste is finishing anyway, this just brings it out again.

The other point i want to make is that caste discrimination works both ways and not just high against low e.g

A distant relative of mine married a guy from a so called lower caste and that guys mother was constantly taunting this young woman with comments like we used to wash your peoples dishes and now you are washing ours!

When i was a mona and around twenty years ago, i went into an apne hairdressers and there were a group of men in there 40-55, and the vile words they were using against jatts was absolutely disgusting, ( they did not know me or were just plain stupid) i remember going home and telling my mother, who immediately told me to forget it. and that then made me realise that it comes down to an inferiority complex , which has to be removed from the mind and no amount of legislation is going to eradicate that.

In India i agree it is a major problem , but here no, what happens when the divide and rule mob, start to put labels on us/our children in the future because now through our stupidity we have brought caste into the uk. Fine with me because i will be labelled a so called high caste, but then these low castes will be crying!!

The majority of us dont us caste words , but i remember an era when they were and those people are either to old now or dead!

And as far as Gurdwaras names are concerned they are used from a particular sect because they as a group were the ones who established it, but i dont see any sewadars standing at the doorway with shastars, stopping anyone from entering. ok you get some oldies asking whats your surname and pend, has happened to me, but thats just them being nosey :lol2: no point in getting all defensive about it (inferiority complex). Caste discrimination is wrong and i as a sikh do not accept it and would not allow it to happen in front of me!!

Last but most important no point going on about no caste in sikhi , when most of these people are not sikhs until they have taken

KHANDE DE PAHUL AND KEEP REHAT!!

Sat = I agree with most of your points, but i dont think this legislation (if it comes in) will make a major difference, what will happen is that our kids , who we have not told anything about this may start to ask awkward questions,

UK = I understand what you're saying Paji. But I think we as Sikhs (who by definition cannot have any caste affiliation) can easily answer all questions. Vasakhi 1699 is the biggest answer to any question on this subject in relation to Sikhi. Bhai Lalo Ji, Bhai Jaita Ji, Shaheed Baba Sangat Singh Ji, Bhat Bani are just some shining examples of further answers that can easily defeat the points of those who wish to perpetuate caste apartheid in Guru Sahib's presence and in terms of matrimonial preference.

Sat = i feel caste is finishing anyway, this just brings it out again.

UK = What we have to be wary about Paji is that 30 years all our Gurdwaray were saanjhay. Now they are not. And with Sikh Channel's sister station popularising the caste system, alcohol and materialism ... more of the youth are being sucked into this caste system imported from Hindu+Muslim faiths.

Sat = The other point i want to make is that caste discrimination works both ways and not just high against low e.g

A distant relative of mine married a guy from a so called lower caste and that guys mother was constantly taunting this young woman comments like we used to wash your peoples dishes and now you are washing ours!

UK = Agreed. That's why Paji this proposed legislation would spell the end of so-called Balmiki, Ravidassia, Ramgarhia and Bhatra places of worship where those committees restricte membership to one biraderi. Sikhi is clear cut that "maanas ki jaath sabhe ek pechaanbo" so discrimination in any direction is not on.

Sat = Fine with me because i will be labelled a so called high caste, but then these low castes will be crying!!

UK = The only label a Sikh can accept is that of Sikh alone Paji. If you proclaim yourself solely as a Sikh nobody can label you bro.

Sat = And as far as Gurdwaras names are concerned they are used from a particular sect because they as a group were the ones who established it

UK = Paji, the bigger problem is committees restricted to the biraderi associated with the name of the Gurdwara. Our Gurdwaray should only be named according the locality they serve rather than against the ethos of Gurmat which places the emphasis on God alone.

Sat = Last but most important no point going on about no casTe in sikhi , when most of these people are not sikhs until they have taken KHANDE DE PAHUL AND KEEP REHAT!!

UK = Paji, all those that bow down in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj are Sikh and we need to keep that deliberately wide-open (original) definition of who is Sikh if we are serious about making Sikhi a positive force for global good. Our RSS enemies are only too happy to define non-Amritdhari's as being Hindu's to increase their (fake) demographic majority and turn us into an even smaller population minority and small minorities don't often tend to control their own destiny and are often the subject of discrimination, human rights abuses and the innocent victims of GhalluGharay.

Will this bring people closer, not sure it will, the only time people come together is when they are being persecuted or attacked, (and its not happening in the uk) which is what happened in the times of the mughals. now i believe its people trying to make names for themselves politically, like the ones on the sikh channel and sangat tv, people like malhotra and castewatch uk etc. your comment below is correct when applied from a sikh's point of view , but we live in a country that likes to put labels on everyone and thing, the principle is great but the reality may be different, I dont want future generations cursing me for putting a label on them in front of their white counterparts!!

I wont have anything to do with legislation until , i have read it with my own eyes, i dont follow blindly.

Regarding your comment below

correction all those who bow before SGGS JI Maharaj are not necessarily sikhs, not if they try to split gurbani by showing more significance to a particular bhagat , or bow before other places too. Maharaj is complete all the bhagats and Gurus are all one jyot (Waheguru) and are known as SGGS JI MAHARAJ, Shabad Guru, Which was compiled directly from Akal purukh by Guru Gobind Singh ji , I say it how it is not how people want to hear it!

The only label a Sikh can accept is that of Sikh alone Paji. If you proclaim yourself solely as a Sikh nobody can label you bro.

UK = Paji, all those that bow down in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj are Sikh and we need to keep that deliberately wide-open (original) definition of who is Sikh if we are serious about making Sikhi a positive force for global good. Our RSS enemies are only too happy to define non-Amritdhari's as being Hindu's to increase their (fake) demographic majority and turn us into an even smaller population minority and small minorities don't often tend to control their own destiny and are often the subject of discrimination, human rights abuses and the innocent victims of GhalluGharay.