DO YA USE MSN MESSENGER?!

Nama Singh

VJKK VJKF

Hey, coz so many people use MSN messenger n that in the background while they work n play, sikhifm has 2 new hotmail accounts with two different users... sikhifm_singh@hotmail.com and sikhifm_kaur@hotmail.com.

Originally we have had just one hotmail messenger account but there was only a singh on the other end so now we have one for the penjis who may wanna talk about things they not comfortable talking to a paaji about.

This is a bit of a test thing to be honest jus to see if there is a demand for interactive help like this and if you have a problem then do add the relevent account to ure messenger contacts. We will try our best to help you or point you in the right direction.

Any thoughts n views on this is welcome.... http://www.sikhifm.com/contact.htm

This is a bit of a test thing to be honest jus to see if there is a demand for interactive help like this and if you have a problem then do add the relevent account to ure messenger contacts. We will try our best to help you or point you in the right direction.

Fateh Ji,

This is an excellent resource.

Back in the day when Sikhawareness.com was set up, most of the Mod's there had msn adds and a lot of people who came across the forums added the Mod's for advice. Some of the situations that came up were for example,

· Kes and dastaar at school,

· Dealing/coping with parents who are not into Sikhi

· Wanting to run away from home

· Basic advice on everyday things in life in relation to Sikhi (going out with people, clubbing etc), and much more.

There are a lot of people out there who need advice, and talking to a stranger helps when talking about it, as they do not need to worry about being embarrassed by talking to people they know. If possible, try and get ids on yahoo aswell, as some people don't use/have access to msn.

I’d spoken to some people about setting something like this up, but it looks like you saved us the work tongue.gif

If you spread the word, I’m sure

you will be run off your feet with people asking for advice.

All the best with it… :TH:

Do these people on the end of this 'help-line' have any social/ care qualifications?

The idea is good, but could you tell us what experience they have?

A forum is different to a one on one helpline thing, here if somebody gives the wrong advice then the sangat can point that out, in online private conversations you could be telling the person complete gobbaldy gook and they would have no other opinion at the time then the one offered.

Hence what level of sikhi experience is on offer? Do we have gurmukhs who could tell me tuk's from gurbani to ease my pain or just give their opinion? Have they completed santia of even read Guru Granth Sahib Ji maharajh completely?

Have they had professional training to deal with problems such as bullying, or again is it just personal experience and opinion, which IF wrong could lead to worse problems, eg, kid getting bullied and someone just says stick up for urself, kid does has a fight gets kicked in and suspended....?

Hence the need for training in the appropraite areas first, and im not talking about a levels or degrees in physcology or sociology, i refer to professional qualifications of some specific training specific to the issue.

I know there is a phone based help line but again serious thought planning and consideration needs to be taken before this is set up.

Personally have recently had a conversation with someone who is preparing to meet with professional bodies to seek advice on how to set such a service up. As soon as we find any details out will let sangat know.

Dont mean to knock anyone, but there are plenty of people who like to give advice these days but to be frank have not

the first idea, i say this from experience having spoken to some of these people. eg being some of the people at sikh awareness, to be frank i wouldnt be happy letting my younger bro's or sisters asking certain people from there for advice.

So in conclusion.... unless your fully trained and experienced perhaps wait till you are and then start it properly. Until then, personally unless you can tell me your credentials i will not be suggesting ur service to anybody that i know, as i said personal 1 to 1's in private can lead to many probs.

Fateh Ji,

Some important points raised by AK-47.

I agree with almost everything that you have said, but in this day and age almost everyone has access to a pc, and so providing a helpful medium would be advantageous.

Whoever sits on the other side of the computer should know what they are on about so that they can help others and as you mentioned professional training is a very good point…

(self edited)

Anyway, nothing else on my part to add to this discussion, but bhul chuk maaf just in case...

in reference to AK-47:

yes i agree with what you say and those issues have been discussed.

At the moment it is in experiment mode. Forums are kool and OBVIOUSLY work well but ive had ppl talk to me online who dont wanna air their laundry on a forum which cud even log their IP - not that u cant do that on messenger.

Its mainly set up to help people who are new to Sikhi. Alredy, we've had people like that talk to us and its basically jus pointing people in the right direction. Like where to find wkd keertan, or the best forums, the best websites, the best resources, the best places to learn punjabi n that kinda stuff.

If theres gonna be people who require counselling then they will be pointed in the right direction depending on the problem.

its one of those things where you cant please everyone.

u said suming that 1 - to - 1 can cause problems... true however, in this case no because the people on the sikhifm end are trustworthy and if ne problems occur they know to push one simple button ... BLOCK!

its jus an extra resource available for people who need some pointing in the right direction. i think at the end of the day, it will do more good than bad. But, lets give it a shot. If it works, it will be a new project to look into where its taken off MSN to a dedicated 24hr server... yes, there are helplines available but i think theres lots of people out there who find talking on msn and chat easier than talking to a stranger on the fone...

Good Luck you Guys !!

I know a singhnee who is very good in giving advice.. and soon she gonna be the counselor.. so any khalsa needs to get an advice after 2006 then contact -------- Khalsa tongue.gif ... im not kidding, though her counseling will be bit of expensive :lol: .. hey not her fault she want a Merc SLK tongue.gif

but anyway sikhifm let us know the result.. but it's hard to earn the trust first..