Islam + Sikhi - The Differences

Singh559

What I have known all my life is that Sikhism is a part of Hinduism, Guru Gobind Singh called upon 5 people (5 pyaras) and asked them to make a new force Khalsa to fight against Aurangzeb. People who started following Guru Gobind Singh have to keep 5 Ks (Kanga, Kirpan, Karda, Kachhiara and Kaish)

I can guarantee i do not have any foul intensions, I just want to know how can a person be close to God by taking on these 5 Ks. Why is this "Swaroop" of so much importance to be a Sikh. Why is it so important to keep hair? Why is that the Sikh community disgrace the person who questions its religious belief.

If that's what you know then no offense but you don't really know much. Others can go into detail better than me but until then you need to read up on some basic stuff:

Difference between Sikhi and Hinduism:

http://www.sikhs.org/relig_h.htm

http://www.sikhmarg.com/english/The-Sikhs.html

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/16868-difference-between-sikhism-and-hinduismislam/

What I have known all my life is that Sikhism is a part of Hinduism, Guru Gobind Singh called upon 5 people (5 pyaras) and asked them to make a new force Khalsa to fight against Aurangzeb. People who started following Guru Gobind Singh have to keep 5 Ks (Kanga, Kirpan, Karda, Kachhiara and Kaish)

I can guarantee i do not have any foul intensions, I just want to know how can a person be close to God by taking on these 5 Ks. Why is this "Swaroop" of so much importance to be a Sikh. Why is it so important to keep hair? Why is that the Sikh community disgrace the person who questions its religious belief.

Jadenbliss Jee, if someone is less knowledgeable about Sikhi, why would Sikhs disgrace such a person? But if a person from another religion would come here and try to question Sikhi whilst showing superiority of his religion then obviously Sikhs will defend their religion and show the difference and uniqueness of Sikhi.

In any case, Sikhi is not a part of any religion. It is a unique and separate religion. Not all religions born in India are part of Hinduism. Just as Buddhism, Jainism were born in India yet are distinct religions from Hinduism, so is SIkhi. All the religions born in India have their similarities, but they also have their differences.

Jadenbliss, welcome to the forum and hopefully you will realise the importance of following The Truth.

Lets adress your concerns:

1. Sikhi was not created to fight Aurangzeb. Aurangzeb came in the 17th century while Guru Nanak Sahib revealed Sikhi in the 15th century.

2. Aurangzeb was not the fight tyrant who was condemned by the Sikhs. Even tyrany Babur was condemned by Guru Nanak Sahib in 1521.

3. Sikhi was not created to protect Hindus. If Muslims were being persecuted in a Hindu rule, the Gurus would have defended the Muslims. We defend the opressed, down trodden and the ones too weak to defend themselves, regardless of religion. But since at that time the Hindus were being persecuted, the Gurus defended them, which makes it seem like a Hindu/Sikh vs Muslim thing which is completely false.

4. Sikhi can't be forced upon individuals, but usually the Prem forces us to accept Sikhi as the ultimate truth and be Sikhs.

5. The Vedas denigrate women, Sikhi doesn't agree to that. Hinduism has the caste system, Sati system, no widow remarriage, all of this is condemned by Sikhi, then how can Sikhi be a part of Hinduism? Ik Oankar annuls the belief in Hindu deities.

6. Guru Nanak Sahib had weapons too, the Sikhs before Guru Gobind Singh had kesh too. Sikhi has been there since 1469.

7. Saroop is important because we respect Waheguru and his Hukam. The first commandment in Guru Granth Sahib is to respect Wahegurus Hukam (Law of Nature), so we do not alter our bodies and keep our Kesh. The other K's have practical uses unlike the Hindu signs such as Janeu.

I appreciate you helping me out with all your knowledge, thanks a lot... can I ask another question

When u say we do not alter our bodies why do we cut our nails.

If someone is not comfortable keeping hair, gets a headache while wearing a turban, do we have any alternatives?

I respect Waheguru, I always pray to the him in the morning, I try my best to do everything that the Gurus have asked me to do seriously I do, but I can't keep hair, does that make me a bad person?

Do u do everything that the Gurus have asked you to do?

Whats more important being happy (my head aches when i wear a turban) or respecting Waheguru's Hukum?

Hasn't Waheguru said being happy in life is important?

I appreciate you helping me out with all your knowledge, thanks a lot... can I ask another question

When u say we do not alter our bodies why do we cut our nails.

If someone is not comfortable keeping hair, gets a headache while wearing a turban, do we have any alternatives?

I respect Waheguru, I always pray to the him in the morning, I try my best to do everything that the Gurus have asked me to do seriously I do, but I can't keep hair, does that make me a bad person?

Do u do everything that the Gurus have asked you to do?

Whats more important being happy (my head aches when i wear a turban) or respecting Waheguru's Hukum?

Hasn't Waheguru said being happy in life is important?

You can do what you like and who knows maybe you will find God, but Sikhs have a very specific lifestyle and definition.

A Hindu jeweler came to Guru Gobind Singh ji and said why do I need this rehit and kakaars? Can't I just be a good person and meditate?

Listen to Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji's jawaab:

Hope this answers your question. :)

If one has love for GURU and GURU's hukam, then one will keep Kesh, Kakkar's and turban wihtout asking a question on GURU's HUKAM,, when one does not has LOVE for GURU & GURU's Hukam, one can find all sorts of IF's AND BUT's, one will have all sorts of headache's when wearing turban, one will have issues keeping KESH. There is no alternative to GURU's HUKAM.

To clarify your point, all prominent religions of the world, their Prophets/Peers/Paigambers including Sri Raam Chandra Jee, Sri Krishna (who's other name is KESHAV i.e. with long KESH), Prophet Mohammad, Jesus Christ, Prophet Moses, Abraham, Lord Shiva, Lors Brahma, Lord VISHNU used to have long kesh both on head/face and throughout body.

I am not sure you belong to which religion, but if you are from Hinduism, it is important to clarify that irrespective of false TV-serial images made by some Bollyword Directors to show a clean-shave image of LORD KRISHNA/RAAMA/SHIVA/VISHNU, that is entirely FALSE. That is just to justify their own SWAROOP by showing their dieties in clean-shaven swaroop.

I am just wondering the basis of your query -

(a). Either you belong to SIKH religion and not happy keeping KESH, or you don't keep KESH, but when forced to keep KESH, you have a problem? Just don't keep it if GURU's Hukam has not come to you, why you are so worried about others keeping it?

(b). OR you belong to NON-SIKH religon, if I believe Hinduism, and have a problem with all Sikhs having a specific unique identity, which I find a problem which some of Hindu's I have met with. A specific goal of these people is to somehow get Sikhism submerge into Hinduism, the way they have done with Buddhism and Jainism, as the only way Sikhism seems unique from Hinduism is by the way of it's distinct identity and practices, and the roots they want to destroy is to first target the identity, once the identity is destroyed, Sikhism will be destroyed.

But, hold on, in the past 10 years, I have met 100s of such people of differing opinion, coming to Gurudwaras, doing SEWA, but without KESH. They had the same opinion as yours, and debating with them was of no purpose. Someday, somehow, GURU's Hukam and love appeared in them, and all of them are now full KESH-DHARI/AMRIT-DHARI Sikhs along with their children, I have also come across 100s of people who used to even critise the whole SIKH religion with their own concepts, they are now in the ambit of Sikh religion (a mixture of them being KeshDhaari and non-KESHDHAARI).

If you are a SIKH, and don't want to keep KESH, nobody can force you to keep KESH in Sikh religion, the day you decide to keep yours in your choice,

If you are a HINDU and have a specific problem with Sikh parents keeping their children with KESH, I would say it is the other way round, Hindu parents forcing MUNDAN of their child is forcible cutting of nature's KESH, KESH which all current worshipped dieties in all Hindu temples, Sri Raam Chandra Jee/Lord Shiva/Lord Krishna/Lord Vishnu/Lord Brahma used to keep, and Hindu parents doing cruelity on their children cutting their KESH, somehow forcing some highly uncivilised VEDIC practises on them. None of the Hindu worshipped dieties or gods practised hair cutting. I am still calling them Hindu Gods, although none of them started a religion "Hinduism". They are pious souls of the land, resepctable to all, but never started a religion.

Sikh parents don't force, they preserve the nature's growth of KESH as done by all Bhagat's/Lords/GURUs.

As to your specific question of why cut the nails and just hairs, NAILS ARE DEAD PART OF BODY AND NOT LIVING PART, PLEASE GO AND READ SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION AND CLASSIFICATION OF NAILS AND BODY HAIRS OF WHICH IS DEAD PART AND LIVING PART OF BODY.

If one has love for GURU and GURU's hukam, then one will keep Kesh, Kakkar's and turban wihtout asking a question on GURU's HUKAM,, when one does not has LOVE for GURU & GURU's Hukam, one can find all sorts of IF's AND BUT's, one will have all sorts of headache's when wearing turban, one will have issues keeping KESH. There is no alternative to GURU's HUKAM.

To clarify your point, all prominent religions of the world, their Prophets/Peers/Paigambers including Sri Raam Chandra Jee, Sri Krishna (who's other name is KESHAV i.e. with long KESH), Prophet Mohammad, Jesus Christ, Prophet Moses, Abraham, Lord Shiva, Lors Brahma, Lord VISHNU used to have long kesh both on head/face and throughout body.

I am not sure you belong to which religion, but if you are from Hinduism, it is important to clarify that irrespective of false TV-serial images made by some Bollyword Directors to show a clean-shave image of LORD KRISHNA/RAAMA/SHIVA/VISHNU, that is entirely FALSE. That is just to justify their own SWAROOP by showing their dieties in clean-shaven swaroop.

I am just wondering the basis of your query -

(a). Either you belong to SIKH religion and not happy keeping KESH, or you don't keep KESH, but when forced to keep KESH, you have a problem? Just don't keep it if GURU's Hukam has not come to you, why you are so worried about others keeping it?

(b). OR you belong to NON-SIKH religon, if I believe Hinduism, and have a problem with all Sikhs having a specific unique identity, which I find a problem which some of Hindu's I have met with. A specific goal of these people is to somehow get Sikhism submerge into Hinduism, the way they have done with Buddhism and Jainism, as the only way Sikhism seems unique from Hinduism is by the way of it's distinct identity and practices, and the roots they want to destroy is to first target the identity, once the identity is destroyed, Sikhism will be destroyed.

But, hold on, in the past 10 years, I have met 100s of such people of differing opinion, coming to Gurudwaras, doing SEWA, but without KESH. They had the same opinion as yours, and debating with them was of no purpose. Someday, somehow, GURU's Hukam and love appeared in them, and all of them are now full KESH-DHARI/AMRIT-DHARI Sikhs along with their children, I have also come across 100s of people who used to even critise the whole SIKH religion with their own concepts, they are now in the ambit of Sikh religion (a mixture of them being KeshDhaari and non-KESHDHAARI).

If you are a SIKH, and don't want to keep KESH, nobody can force you to keep KESH in Sikh religion, the day you decide to keep yours in your choice,

If you are a HINDU and have a specific problem with Sikh parents keeping their children with KESH, I would say it is the other way round, Hindu parents forcing MUNDAN of their child is forcible cutting of nature's KESH, KESH which all current worshipped dieties in all Hindu temples, Sri Raam Chandra Jee/Lord Shiva/Lord Krishna/Lord Vishnu/Lord Brahma used to keep, and Hindu parents doing cruelity on their children cutting their KESH, somehow forcing some highly uncivilised VEDIC practises on them. None of the Hindu worshipped dieties or gods practised hair cutting. I am still calling them Hindu Gods, although none of them started a religion "Hinduism". They are pious souls of the land, resepctable to all, but never started a religion.

Sikh parents don't force, they preserve the nature's growth of KESH as done by all Bhagat's/Lords/GURUs.

As to your specific question of why cut the nails and just hairs, NAILS ARE DEAD PART OF BODY AND NOT LIVING PART, PLEASE GO AND READ SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION AND CLASSIFICATION OF NAILS AND BODY HAIRS OF WHICH IS DEAD PART AND LIVING PART OF BODY.

My parents are sikh...good people i cant call my self one as i dont keep hair....they are not proud of me and are ashamed of me as i dont want to keep hair... some times my father doesn't even want to see my face as I dont wear a turban... what should i make out of it...

U say until my Guru asks me to keep hair... my parents are my guru and just to keep them happy i have started growing hair.... so that they dont feel embarrassed around me.... what about my life my happiness...??

I dont think there is an answer to that and if you say that i should not keep hair until i really want to keep them... then i dont have a choice and thats why i called it emotional blackmail

Even we muslims keep beards n small moustaches as per PBUH.

Its a sign of honourship...

I m researching on sikhism from long being muslim same applies for them we created our identity as per the advice of Prophet Mohammad and sikhs created their identity as per their Guru.

ORIGINALLY ALL KEPT FULL BEARD AND MOUSTACHE EVEN HINDUS IT ALL STATED BY A PERSON OF EACH DHARAM WHICH BADSHAH DARVESH DHAN SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI SAHIB MAHARAJ GIFTS US IN SURAJ PRAKASH GRANTH.....

My parents are sikh...good people i cant call my self one as i dont keep hair....they are not proud of me and are ashamed of me as i dont want to keep hair... some times my father doesn't even want to see my face as I dont wear a turban... what should i make out of it...

U say until my Guru asks me to keep hair... my parents are my guru and just to keep them happy i have started growing hair.... so that they dont feel embarrassed around me.... what about my life my happiness...??

I dont think there is an answer to that and if you say that i should not keep hair until i really want to keep them... then i dont have a choice and thats why i called it emotional blackmail

One on side, you say your parents are your GURU and in order to keep them happy you have started growing your hair, which means you see your happiness in their happiness.

But on other side, you say what about my life, my happiness.

Both statements seem contradictory, if one see's his/her parents as their GURU, and if they are practising something as per their GURU's direction, then their own happiness and life is as per their GURU's happiness???

And it should be observed from the bottom of one's heart. If not, even if one grows and keep KESH, but the deeds are not as per GurMat, it will be more disastrous for the religion, as KeshDhaari Sikh (a visible religious identity) indulging in non-Sikhi activities will bring a bad name to the whole religion.

Can you please explain some of the statements you made in your first post - such as Sikhism was created to prevent Hindus to become Muslims, to fight Aurangzeb, why a religion was required to fight Aurangzeb? As far as I know, any body born in family with Keshdhari Sikh parents will not have such an opinion!!!