Gym at your Gurdwara

Jaspaul Singh

Anyone plays hockey at Dixie Gurudwara?

I use to play wit the guys from 11pm to 2am on friday nights, till the committy guys backed out of their PROMISE of letting us play cuz they needed someone to blame on the "robberies".........

But ya if you wanna play, they play now from 9 - 11pm on friday nights, i dont anymore cuz of university and nightshifts :lol: d

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurfateh...

Hanji..we have a gym at our gurdwara..well its not exactly gurdwara now...but it used to years ago....commity turned it into a propa gym..with weights...god knows how many...we have gatka class there aswel..enough pple cum... :( we learn things like....boxin, gatka, do weight trainin aswel sumtimes but apparently sum1's bought the gym now... :lol: so we'r gunna have to look for a new place....i hope its better than this gym pray.gif and bigger...

well with guru ji's kirpa we'l find a better place.. pray.gif

Fateh

• 4 weeks later...

hey guess what if any of u lot heard of the gudwara in handsworth soho road uk Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewa Jatha, well they making this building next to the gudwara and its gona av a gym in it and library computers man its gona be the best thing ever happened to a gudwara dwn in uk well thats my opinion guess i go to this gudwara.

so if any of u lot live in uk yh make sure wen it oppens come dwn cus its gona be soo wicked. ima gona try apply for a job at the gym seen as i am a fitness instructor lolz

Fateh!

leh - i hope u doing it for seva rather than money lol. At Leeds - the gurudwara has made its own sports centre - with all sorts of stuff. From gym classes, weights, squash courts, badminton courts, 5- a side football pitch, basketball etc. But sad thing is they jacked up the prices - and its cheaper to go to a different gym!!!

Im not sure.. i think (and this is my own stupid view) that SOME ppl just go to the gurudwara for food and gossip - the introduction of a gym would increase chance to gossip and lose the weight they put on from the langar. I think other methods of educating the youth about Sikhi should be done.... :T: but, im still trying to work out which other ways they are.

Our local gurdwara sahib is getting pretty good at doing stuff for the community too over the last few years and is actually setting the trend in the uk in some respects!

They do loads of different stuff like;

aerobics classes for girls,

and for olderly bibian,

boxing class,

karate classes,

kung fu classes,

Wrestling class (not running currently)

they got loads of football teams,

as for having a gym there, would be cool, but we got 3 other gyms all within 3 mins walk of the gurdwara! lol so market is kind of saturated!

But there probably will be one there when building work finished on latest project.

Other ways of educating the youth.. i'll give you the best example iv probably ever seen.. go to the BOSS website and check out the SYCC Youth Forum

When this was started last yr it was aimed at college students ie 16-19, they did it on a wednesday afternoon, which is primetime for daytimmer gigs etc... but will u believe that they had weekly attendance of around 100 kids, both boys and girls, most of them with little idea of sikhi coming to the gurdwara and staying for around 2 hours!

Brilliant seva