*** Urgent *** Must Watch & Record *** Leicester Grooming Gang **

'Loan words' from where ?

Punjabi is 900 years older than Hindi and Urdu is a brand new language........Both those languages have taken words from Punjabi, not the other way round.

But if you want to consider every word Punjabi has taken from Persian etc as a 'loan word' and discard it as such you're gonna be left with practically nothing as even the word 'Punjabi' is, by your definition, a 'loan word'.

I come from an uneducated rural family. There were no 'educated Punjabis' among my lot and they all knew that the punjabi word for bathroom is gusulkhanna.

No they didn't. They were Punjabis who spoke Punjabi so they called it by it's Punjabi name : gusulkhanna.

Its just like some working class white english folks living in a council estate will often refer to the toilet as the bog or crapper. That doesn't mean they don't know what the correct English word for it is.

Gussalkhana is not a Punjabi word. It is a loanword. Before the modern standardized Hindi and Urdu, there was Khariboli from which Urdu/Hindi descends. The concept of the washroom/bathroom to which a person answers the call of nature is a recent thing to India. From the times you are talking about, back then the common man would go to farms and jungles to relieve themselves which is why in rural Punjabi boli the term Jangal Pani was used. Later due to the influence of European Tehzeeb, people of India began to build washrooms/bathrooms i.e. Gussalkhanas.

Since loanwords are not native words, very often they can get replaced by loanwords from other language as is the case of Gussalkhana which has largely been replaced by the English equivalent in Punjab. Today the average Punjabi calls it bathroom/washroom.

While on the subject of loanwords, I think Sikhs should make it an effort to use as much loanwords from Gurbani in their everyday language.

No they didn't. You've been reading too many Kushwant Singh books romantcising the nihangs. You've read somewhere about a few nihangs using words like that and you've arbitrarily associated the word with every Sikh that existed at that time. Thats very silly.

Back then during the misl period all the Sikhs were Nihangs, or at least they were indistinguishable from them. Differences only grew later on between the Nihangs and non Nihangs when Sikhs became more affluent while the Nihangs maintained their Fakir life style. Singhs back then developed their own unique vocabulary. While the offensive words are no longer used but some words are still commonly used. For example Singhs refer to hot milk as 'Samundar'. I had a list of these unique words used by Singhs saved on my computer. Just have to find the file.

My friend, Punjabi has far more to do with Islam and Muslims that you will ever know.

I'll gi

Before 1947, Punjabi did have many Urdu/persian/arabic loanwords which have been replaced by loanwords from Hindi/Sanskrit and even English. One might argue that those words have always been there. But that is also not true. After 1849 when Punjab was annexed, the Urdu language was imposed on Punjab. The result of this was that many Urdu loanwords began to be used in Punjab. If one wants to see how Punjabi sounded like one must read Punjabi literature before the British takeover. I have a 3 volume book set published by the Punjabi University which contains old Punjabi Qissas written narrating folk tales of Punjab. Often these Qissas were written by Muslims. One thing that is noticeable is how little persian/arabic loan words are used as compared to the Punjabi today spoken in west Punjab which is becoming increasingly Urdu`fied or Persianised.