Foundation Of Sri Harimandar Sahib: Sri Guru Arjan Dev Or Sai Mian Mir?

DSGj

Didn't read the initial post nor interested in this article. I don't know who wrote this article but my top guess is this one bibi who works in GNDU and also part of sgpc and she is been raising this only thing since late 80's. Most of the intellectual people or scholars typically ignore this lady.

Didn't read the initial post nor interested in this article. I don't know who wrote this article but my top guess is this one bibi who works in GNDU and also part of sgpc and she is been raising this only thing since late 80's. Most of the intellectual people or scholars typically ignore this lady.

You sure are right about you not having read the initial post and not being interested in this article.

If you actually did read and had some interest, or at least read the first 3 lines of the post, you would have read the following:

Foundation of Sri Harimandar Sahib: Sri Guru Arjan Dev or Sai Mian Mir?

Taken from “Sri Harimandar Sahib Sunehri Itihaas” published by Dharam Parchaar Committee SGPC

Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

Here is the bibliographical information:

Title: Sri Harimandar Sahib da sunehri itihas

Author: Kirpal Singh

Publisher: Dharam Prachar Committee, 1991

Edit: He may also be the former Akal Takht Sahib Jathedar (Singh Sahib). Around the internet people are giving the author of Sri Harimandar Sahib da sunehri itihas many different titles. Some are calling him Singh Sahib, Giani, Jathedar, and there is also a Dr. Kirpal Singh and a Professor Kirpal Singh. So I'm not 100% sure as different sources are giving different titles. Maybe someone else could confirm which Kirpal Singh this is.

Singh ji don't take an offense from my previous post as i wasn't talking about you jee as you are simply the messenger.

I forgot bibi jees name but my guess is madanjit kaur (still not sure). She is the first to raise this nonsense issue and even wrote a book about it.. I read her article many years ago and don't want to redo it. If one wants to do such khoj then they must be at certain stage level where shanka does not comes easily into our mind (im not at that lvl yet).

Singh ji don't take an offense from my previous post as i wasn't talking about you jee as you are simply the messenger.

I forgot bibi jees name but my guess is madanjit kaur (still not sure). She is the first to raise this nonsense issue and even wrote a book about it.. I read her article many years ago and don't want to redo it. If one wants to do such khoj then they must be at certain stage level where shanka does not comes easily into our mind (im not at that lvl yet).

Veer Jee, no offense taken :smile2: .

I just don't see how it is a "nonsense issue".

For quite some time, Sikhs have had (and still do) the opportunity to research, write and clear-up their history.

There are many people/groups still out their trying to distort our history and values even today through writing wrong things in books/articles on purpose.

It is Sikh Scholars' and Academics' duty to counter this (and leave their biases and person opinions aside while doing this).

Even people who are calling themselves Sikhs are doing more damage than good by trying to distort Sikh history, culture, traditions and values.

And it is not just scholars' and academics' duty, it is every Sikh's duty to read and research about their history and come to a viewpoint (which could change over time).

If we stop researching and reading, we get doubts and debates like the Dasam Granth one.

Some people like to turn a blind-eye towards issues and pretend that they don't exist.

However, until we realize and accept that these issues exist, we can never truly counter those who are trying to put doubts in Sikh's minds.

I don't understand this whole "building bridge" philosophy some Sikhs are adhering to. Even if we take this myth of Mian Mir laying the foundation to be true, what bridge has it built so far? has it prevented Muslims from killing our Gurus? Sahibzadas? attacking Darbar Sahib(where they supposedly laid down the foundation!)? carrying out genocide after genocide(Ghalukara) against the Sikhs? ethnically cleansing Sikhs from west Punjab? This alone throws the whole bridge building theory out the window.

For too long we have ignored our own primary sources of history and rather we believe history written by Hindus, Muslims, Christians to be more factual. Sikh history written in puraatan sources say Guru Jee laid down the foundation of Darbar Sahib not Mian Mir like non Sikhs sources claim. Non Sikh sources like to present a distorted picture of Sikhi as some kind of secular, mixture of Islam/Hinduism religion. This may seem all good in inter faith meetings but practically it has only managed to confuse the Sikhs themselves who now think all religions are "equal" and same.

I don't understand this whole "building bridge" philosophy some Sikhs are adhering to. Even if we take this myth of Mian Mir laying the foundation to be true, what bridge has it built so far? has it prevented Muslims from killing our Gurus? Sahibzadas? attacking Darbar Sahib(where they supposedly laid down the foundation!)? carrying out genocide after genocide(Ghalukara) against the Sikhs? ethnically cleansing Sikhs from west Punjab? This alone throws the whole bridge building theory out the window.

For too long we have ignored our own primary sources of history and rather we believe history written by Hindus, Muslims, Christians to be more factual. Sikh history written in puraatan sources say Guru Jee laid down the foundation of Darbar Sahib not Mian Mir like non Sikhs sources claim. Non Sikh sources like to present a distorted picture of Sikhi as some kind of secular, mixture of Islam/Hinduism religion. This may seem all good in inter faith meetings but practically it has only managed to confuse the Sikhs themselves who now think all religions are "equal" and same.

I too don't see any building of bridges.

Sikhi is NOT like or to be compared to other religions.

It is MUCH more than that !

A religion has their place of worship, their religious scripture, their rituals...etc...

Sikhi has the SHABAD GURU which was uttered in person by the Nanaks and remains just as alive today in the living Guru that we have been given -Guru maneyo Granth-

Gurdwara is not a religious place of worship like other religions, it is the doorway and abode to the Guru Shabad, the Living Guru !

Chill my fellow Sikh brothers. I think I am quiet aware of misinformation by Hindu, Muslim and other sources. My mere suggestion was that Jews say they are chosen people, Christian say that they have the right path(salvation granted only through their savior), Hindu think they are high and mighty,treating their own shudras, untouchables like crap..... I just hinted Sikh faith is beyond this petty insecure , defensive tactics. Its is revealed religion not borrowed faith.