What is naam? Many people say they have naam from so and so but are not amritdhari. I know of Radha Soamis having naam, no bad comments plz, but do other Sikh samparda also give this and do other faiths?

What exactly is it? I always thought it was simran, or reciting gods name.

Then some people say one needs a guru, confusing.

but do other Sikh samparda also give this? what do you mean by this statement?? what are the other sikh sampardas?? So far If i am honest to sikh history Sikhi is one which follows sikh rehit and shri Guru Granth sahib ji...Others dera lika radha saomi or Dera ballan can be in the roop of sikh identity but it does not mean they follow SGGS.

Btw in that way..if someone says he/She has Naam, it does mean He/She has become the follower of the Concerned Dera ..But They don't do things according to the teachings of 10 Gurus.

Being Amritdhari is an another thing ..it does mean "Having the naam of Ten gurus"

• 4 weeks later...

Thanku for the above post, i guess one has to experience it to fully understand and feel it. Are there cases, that one tries but never feels this bliss? Does that only happen with Wahegurus mehr? Why does it feel to hard to experience it? I feel so alone, everybody is either materialistically happy or thru gods name at least their souls are stable either way. I am lost, my soul is lost, i dont know where my atma has gone. Before when doing paat used to feel secure, fearless. Now life feels scary.

Wish i could feel that again.

That's a good post by Harsharan, and it is very much with my interpretation and understanding. :biggrin2:

Sometimes, I have thought about the 'Shabad' being the vibration of Naam, but i haven't delved into that too much to explore further.

I am aware that radhasoamis call 'Naam' a gurmantar that they give you when initiated and you have to keep it secret ! :omg:

Don't get confused thinking that this is what naam is !

You could say that the idea if Naam is misused slightly here according to gurmat gurbani.

but do other Sikh samparda also give this? what do you mean by this statement??

Suki, this is because some of these deras and jathabandis cause confusion and sometimes even claim that ''you can only get the real naam from us!!"

However, let's not divert the topic into other dera definitions or the usual bashing that some us love to jump to.

Simran345 has raised a very valuable question here and it took me a long time to fully comprehend the true meaning of shabad and naam.

Harsharan Singh Ji, please post more often, you are one of hidden gems on sikhsangat.com who post once and while but whenever you do post its so profound, beautiful inspiring..very nice to see someone understanding and realizing esoteric layer of gurbani...i am dust at your feet ji. I have a lot to learn from your previous post which i have read..its simply mind blowing. Please post more often to continue to inspire sangat. Vahiguroo.

Thanku for the above post, i guess one has to experience it to fully understand and feel it. Are there cases, that one tries but never feels this bliss? Does that only happen with Wahegurus mehr? Why does it feel to hard to experience it? I feel so alone, everybody is either materialistically happy or thru gods name at least their souls are stable either way. I am lost, my soul is lost, i dont know where my atma has gone. Before when doing paat used to feel secure, fearless. Now life feels scary.

Dear Simran345,

my sympathy and best wishes are with you, do not loose heart. Let me answer your differnt questions in the same order you have asked in your post:

1)Are there cases, that one tries but never feels this bliss?

You see, either one is with Wahiguru to be in that blissful state, or be away from Him(like the most of us), but keeping Him in mind, to do everything in one´s hands to, reach that goal. For that, one has to do a lot of sadhna, bandagee, of Simran.

You see, since we left our true home of our Father Satnam,Sach Khand, we have been wandering aimlessly in this mayavee creation...collecting uncountable layers of karmas and sanskaras, upon our souls, and plus, the mind is a big wall, with it´s allies as kam, krodh, lobh, moh and haume or ahankar, plus we have added many more chains around our necks... so you see, we are far away, from our true Home, so naturally we feel pain and are miserable here in this creation.

The pull of the soul, is always towards, its Father, that is why we feel dissatisfaction and somehow lonely here... this is a sign of grace from Satpurukh. We have to take advantage of that moment, when our enemy mind is low, to knock him off, and with determination and faith take some steps towards our true Home. Life is a constant struggle, between the mind and our true self, and mostly the mind wins, except when one takes the support of weapon of Nam, to defeat the mind....many sages, rishis, munis, gods, godesses have been misled and lost it´s battle against the mind..... unless as said, mind is dealt with a power superior to it, and that is Nam alone.

2) Does that only happen with Wahegurus mehr?

The answer is yes, we are all blind...unless He who has eyes, allows Himself to get hold by someone.

That is why the bani says: amrit sabad, peevai jan ko-ay. Rare and few ones, drink this Nam Amrit. You see, it is not meant for everybody to understand and follow the Bani. If the creation has to go on, it has to be imperfect, otherwise if all accepted and practiced what the Bani says, then there would be nobody here... we may agree or not, but He knows why He has created this creation... we have to reach that level of consciouseness of Wahiguru, to understand the mysteries of this creation.

3) Why does it feel to hard to experience it?

It is hard to experience, because it is found at one place(within us), and we search for it at different places.

The bani says: Har mandir eyhu sareer hae. The real temple of Wahiguru, is this human body, where the Amrit is flowing all the time, for each and everyone of us, but only the wadbhagee jeevas taste it.

4) I am lost, my soul is lost, i dont know where my atma has gone.

You are not lost brother, our soul is as same in essence as Wahiguru, the thing is, it has been kept as a prisoner by the mind in the creation, we have forgotten our true nature, our true home of our Father Akal Purukh, we have been trapped here in the perishable creation since aeons... and the only way to free ourselves, is by attaching ourselves to Nam or Shabad, as it is the only permanent, and everlasting reality. The Bani clearly says: Jin Har japiyaa, se Har hoeeya. You see, how simple and direct are the words of our Guru Sahibans, in just few words, they have revealed us, the key to success, in ruhaniyat or spirituality.

We can only pray and pray, like a beggar at His door, and spread the jholees of our hearts and minds, so that He may shower His daya meher and guide us, in order to reach Him, we are beggars at His door, we have no other choice.

As Christ says: knock and it shall be open. We have to sincerely keep knocking(prayer, ardaas), and stay calm in His bhaana, then He will have no alternative, but to open His door for us

Harsharan Singh Ji, please post more often, you are one of hidden gems on sikhsangat.com who post once and while but whenever you do post its so profound, beautiful inspiring..very nice to see someone understanding and realizing esoteric layer of gurbani...i am dust at your feet ji. I have a lot to learn from your previous post which i have read..its simply mind blowing. Please post more often to continue to inspire sangat. Vahiguroo.

Dear N30S1NGH,

I am not worthy of your praises. Only parents, Gurmukhs and Akal Purukh are worthy of our love and devotion. The rest of us are all brothers, children of the same Father Satnam.

In this alien land, the least we can do, is remind each other of our true nature and purpose of life, by igniting the flame of true love and sincere devotion, for the Lotus feet of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

Listening, and singing His glory(Bani, Nam), is a way to be happy at all times. It is the simplest, but the most efficient and highest devotion. Prabh ka Simran, sabh te oocha.

Dhan Dhan Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

There is no soul!