Hats

Guest Daas

Page 251, Line 4

ਅਨਿਕ ਭੇਖ ਅਰੁ ਙਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਮਨਹਠਿ ਮਿਲਿਅਉ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

अनिक भेख अरु ङिआन धिआन मनहठि मिलिअउ न कोइ ॥

Anik bẖekẖ ar ńi▫ān ḏẖi▫ān manhaṯẖ mili▫a▫o na ko▫e.

By all sorts of religious robes, knowledge, meditation and stubborn-mindedness, no one has ever met God.

Guru Arjan Dev

Page 352, Line 1

ਅਧਿਕ ਤਿਆਸ ਭੇਖ ਬਹੁ ਕਰੈ ॥

अधिक तिआस भेख बहु करै ॥

Aḏẖik ṯi▫ās bẖekẖ baho karai.

Excessive thirst for Maya makes people wear all sorts of religious robes.

Guru Nanak Dev

Precisely :respect:

ਸੋਰਠਾ

Sortha

ਕੰਘਾ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਵਕਤ ਕਰ ਪੱਗ ਚੁਣੇ ਕਰ ਬਾਂਧਈ

One should comb their hair and tie their turban twice a day,

ਦਾਤਨ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਨੀਤ ਨਾ ਦੁਖ ਪਾਵੈ ਲਾਲ ਜੀ ॥ (੨੩)

Should clean the teeth, O Lal Ji, this way one will never suffer.

Singh12345677, people are quick to quote Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Arjan Dev ji and choose to ignore Guru Gobind Singh Ji's teachings the fact that Dasmesh pita ji did not put most of their Bani in Guru Granth Sahib JI does not make it irrelevant or any less important because it is still Gurbani (spoken from the Gurus mouth). and what Maharaj said in their first form is as well as and continued in their other 8 forms and tenth form, when they refer to religious robes they mean pakhandhi people and their act of being religious but are actually robbing and cheating people like some pandits and mullahs and sajan thag ( who later became a saint) did in those times, they do not refer to the uniform of the Khalsa given to us by them in their tenth form so anyone who says there is no need to wear a turban ( given to us from the start) and a hat is fine needs to think again, you may have respect for Sikhi but a Gursikh you are not if you do not follow Gurus hukam whether it be in his first form or tenth whether it is in SGGS ji or in DASAM GRANTH ji Rehatnamas etc yes we can make mistakes and choose not to follow them but to say they are not Gurbani or try to make verses spoken by Guru ji out to be irrelevant is sacrilege .

Why did the Guru Sahibs themselves wear turbans then and not hats ? they lead by example throughout their 10 forms in this world.

It basically comes down to not being able to follow Guru ji's last hukam/s in their tenth form i.e. " take Amrit and keep rehat" ( i am not judging anyone here but stating a fact) so they keep running and trying to hide behind the teachings given in the first and other 8 forms.

Bhul chuk maf did not want to get too involved in this unnecessary debate and agree with savinderpalsingh ji but some really misleading stuff being told here by some individuals.

Singh12345677, people are quick to quote Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Arjan Dev ji and choose to ignore Guru Gobind Singh Ji's teachings the fact that Dasmesh pita ji did not put most of their Bani in Guru Granth Sahib JI does not make it irrelevant or any less important because it is still Gurbani (spoken from the Gurus mouth). and what Maharaj said in their first form is as well as and continued in their other 8 forms and tenth form, when they refer to religious robes they mean pakhandhi people and their act of being religious but are actually robbing and cheating people like some pandits and mullahs and sajan thag ( who later became a saint) did in those times, they do not refer to the uniform of the Khalsa given to us by them in their tenth form so anyone who says there is no need to wear a turban ( given to us from the start) and a hat is fine needs to think again, you may have respect for Sikhi but a Gursikh you are not if you do not follow Gurus hukam whether it be in his first form or tenth whether it is in SGGS ji or in DASAM GRANTH ji Rehatnamas etc yes we can make mistakes and choose not to follow them but to say they are not Gurbani or try to make verses spoken by Guru ji out to be irrelevant is sacrilege .

Why did the Guru Sahibs themselves wear turbans then and not hats ? they lead by example throughout their 10 forms in this world.

It basically comes down to not being able to follow Guru ji's last hukam/s in their tenth form i.e. " take Amrit and keep rehat" ( i am not judging anyone here but stating a fact) so they keep running and trying to hide behind the teachings given in the first and other 8 forms.

Bhul chuk maf did not want to get too involved in this unnecessary debate and agree with savinderpalsingh ji but some really misleading stuff being told here by some individuals.

I agree!

There was a sakhi where a Mona wanted guru ji to eat his food.Guru ji said no why should I eat your food when you did not take my Amrit.

So are you saying Amrit is not needed?

Never heard of that one before. Could you provide me with a reference to that? Seems at odds with the story of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Bhai Lalo and Malik Bhago. Like I said, Guru Nanak's philosophy was that of total equality: God is beyond looking at us with religious labels, God isn't a "person" who sees us like that. I'm not saying Amrit isn't an excellent thing to take, and a fantastic live to strive towards living.

Never heard of that one before. Could you provide me with a reference to that? Seems at odds with the story of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Bhai Lalo and Malik Bhago. Like I said, Guru Nanak's philosophy was that of total equality: God is beyond looking at us with religious labels, God isn't a "person" who sees us like that. I'm not saying Amrit isn't an excellent thing to take, and a fantastic live to strive towards living.

What I think you are saying is Amrit is not a necessity.Tell me if I'm wrong.

What I think you are saying is Amrit is not a necessity.Tell me if I'm wrong.

You seem to ignore everything else I write about the Gurus' teachings of equality across humanity and that God looks beyond religion (one of the key principles that Guru Nanak always taught), I'm trying to analyze the Guru's philosophy here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but comes from living a good, honest, selfless life of devotion to Waheguru, charity, hard honest work etc. Of course, taking Amrit is something that every Sikh should strive towards, but what if someone fulfilled all those requirements in their life without having physically taken Amrit?

no point in arguing with miss naari's lol :D

?

I think wearing a dastar, taking Amrit are good ways of reminding yourself of your commitment.

Since wearing a pagh I haven't been to a club or had a drink. It's a good reminder to follow the faith. I'm sure if I was still a mona then I would have given in and continued drinking.

I think by becoming an Amritdhari then it's an even bigger commitment and reminder of your values.

Perhaps some people take it too far by not taking off their kirpan and kachera when taking a shower, that becomes almost ritualistic.

I think wearing a dastar, taking Amrit are good ways of reminding yourself of your commitment.

Since wearing a pagh I haven't been to a club or had a drink. It's a good reminder to follow the faith. I'm sure if I was still a mona then I would have given in and continued drinking.

I think by becoming an Amritdhari then it's an even bigger commitment and reminder of your values.

Perhaps some people take it too far by not taking off their kirpan and kachera when taking a shower, that becomes almost ritualistic.

Shame how rehat seems ritualistic to some people and dont heed to advice of Guru sahib