Hatred For Ardas

UsernameTaken

Dear saadh sangat ji

I've begun to hate doing an Ardas and its all down to these money making gurdwaras.

The gurdwara I go to is so annoying the Ardas is sooooo long.

All the time is taken announcing peoples donations! It got so bad that people have even begun announcing their £2.50 donations!!!!!

I know the gurdwara is new and still only half built so they need to collect all the money they can but still its not very fair!

So now even when i'm at home after doing my paath I cannot bare doing an Ardas, I know I should but I cannot bring myself to stand up and do it! Now I've also got this terrible habit now of having a wondering mind whilst doing the Ardas!

I've tried so much but I just cannot motivate myself :(

Even at other Gurdwaras where the Ardas is short I'm just always hoping my family get up before the Ardas starts!

just do a seperate ardas in a different room and then go to the pangat... I know what you mean and you should talk to the people who are always at the gurdwara and perhaps bring a quote from the SGGS about doing seva without wanting anything in return and tell them it is something the youth does not like

It is good that you have brought out this question.

First of all, what is Ardaas? Is it not a prayer?

If yes, then the second point is, to whom is one praying?

The answer naturally is, to Him, Wahiguru Akal Purukh. Then, is He only to be found in the Gurdawaras, temples or churches?

Or is it only there where He listens our prayers?

If He is sarvavyapak, means omnipresent, moreover within each one of us, then what for we do Ardaas there?

The point is, the natural practice of one´s intimacy(Ardaas) with Him, has been converted into a ritual.....so it has lost it´s beauty and charm.

We go to the gurdwaras, or temples, because we go to listen His Glory, from some mahapurukh or even a fluent speaker, who can transmit us the message of His inmense greatness, which reaches our hearts and minds, and fills them with love and devotion for His Lotus Feet.

We may read the bani or listen the kathas, all they say is, Wahiguru is with you and within you, all you have to do is turn your attention from outside and turn it within, with His Simran, that is it all....

Like we go to school to learn, but it is at home where we do the homework and grow, so is in spirituality.

Outside nobobody has found Him, and never ever shall anyone will...it is within our human body(Nar Narayanee deh) where He resides, and there where we have to contact Him, and offfer Him our prayers, love and devotion, through the simple and easy practice, but highest at the same time, His Simran, which will not only draw us near to Him, but in the end, will allow us to merge in Him.

He is the Highest Spiritual Being, while being everywhere, is reachable in the spiritual realms. And for us to reach and enter those spiritual realms, it is only by His Simran, which can be possible. That is why in the Bani, it says, among all the devotions and faiths(religions), His Simran is the highest, not because of anything just like that, but because it is the only method by which our so wished desire of being one with Him, can be possible.

So the next time, let us ask ourselves, am I doing the right way of offering Him my devotion and love, or even an Ardaas?

Let us just start truly following the Bani, which we so much profess our respect and faith; nobody outside and at no place outside will take us to Him, but only by His Amrit Bani, which is within all of us at all times.

His Bani, is as said above, is within us and for all of us. He is like the radio waves, which reach any radio connected to the electric power and tuned in rightly. Now we are tuned with the outer and exterior world, but we have to tune our minds(Nam Simran) with the spiritual waves(Nam)which come from Him, and let us hear His Anhad Shabad, His Amritee Bani, which fills our being with Hs love, and this is all we want from our heavenly Father wahiguru Akal Purukh, isn´t it so?

Sat Sree Akal.

Dear saadh sangat ji

I've begun to hate doing an Ardas and its all down to these money making gurdwaras.

All the time is taken announcing peoples donations! It got so bad that people have even begun announcing their £2.50 donations!!!!!

I know the gurdwara is new and still only half built so they need to collect all the money they can but still its not very fair!

So now even when i'm at home after doing my paath I cannot bare doing an Ardas, I know I should but I cannot bring myself to stand up and do it! Now I've also got this terrible habit now of having a wondering mind whilst doing the Ardas!

Even at other Gurdwaras where the Ardas is short I'm just always hoping my family get up before the Ardas starts!

Ardaas is a beauty to recite especially when you know what is being said in ardaas it keeps you motivated to be a Sikh. Well to me it does heh. Ignore when gurdwaras do like 5 min offering ardaas for irrelevant thngs. Just keep motivated and do a ardas. Always stay in Chardi Kala!

Dear saadh sangat ji

Kid your Ardas has been answered, Uncle ji is back :-)

Now if I were you, I would go to Granthi ji & pledge 10% of pocket money for building fund.

Make sure to do it on Sunday or Gurpurab so that they announce it in Sangat get some Limelight or may be a Siropa sanmaan.

Good motivation :-)

just do a seperate ardas in a different room and then go to the pangat... I know what you mean and you should talk to the people who are always at the gurdwara and perhaps bring a quote from the SGGS about doing seva without wanting anything in return and tell them it is something the youth does not like

theres not much youth going there anyway because the committee doesn't really care,lol

I never use to want to go there either but then I tell myself that if the committee isn't to my liking doesn't mean I should abandon the Guru!

It is good that you have brought out this question.

The point is, the natural practice of one´s intimacy(Ardaas) with Him, has been converted into a ritual.....so it has lost it´s beauty and charm.

That's so true, the ardas in the gurdwaras is seen as a money making scheme and ritual!

the problem is with bad experience at the gurdwara I just have this horrible feeling everytime I stand to do ardas! I automatically feel tired, stressed and annoyed, I know I might sound as if im over reacting but this is like every sunday where the ardas goes on for like an extra 10 mins :(

Ardaas is a beauty to recite especially when you know what is being said in ardaas it keeps you motivated to be a Sikh. Well to me it does heh. Ignore when gurdwaras do like 5 min offering ardaas for irrelevant thngs. Just keep motivated and do a ardas. Always stay in Chardi Kala!

:) that's true but I think I should change the ardas I do as in maybe make it informal because I remember we use to say an ardas at our sunday Punjabi school when I was young, it was really short and cute but unfortunately I cant remember beyond the first line lol...... is that allowed though? to have your own ardas structure????

Kid your Ardas has been answered, Uncle ji is back :-)

Now if I were you, I would go to Granthi ji & pledge 10% of pocket money for building fund.

Make sure to do it on Sunday or Gurpurab so that they announce it in Sangat get some Limelight or may be a Siropa sanmaan.

Good motivation :-)

hahahha the god sent uncle jiiiii :D

theres not much youth going there anyway because the committee doesn't really care,lol

I never use to want to go there either but then I tell myself that if the committee isn't to my liking doesn't mean I should abandon the Guru!

That's so true, the ardas in the gurdwaras is seen as a money making scheme and ritual!

the problem is with bad experience at the gurdwara I just have this horrible feeling everytime I stand to do ardas! I automatically feel tired, stressed and annoyed, I know I might sound as if im over reacting but this is like every sunday where the ardas goes on for like an extra 10 mins :(

:) that's true but I think I should change the ardas I do as in maybe make it informal because I remember we use to say an ardas at our sunday Punjabi school when I was young, it was really short and cute but unfortunately I cant remember beyond the first line lol...... is that allowed though? to have your own ardas structure????

hahahha the god sent uncle jiiiii :D

I mean people do have little words changed in ardas but overall there is no big change in the original structure. I mean God already knows deep in your hear what you want. You just say with your mouth in front of GGS what you want to make it clear. In my gurdwara people pay to get their names mentioned in ardas which I totally disagree.

I mean people do have little words changed in ardas but overall there is no big change in the original structure. I mean God already knows deep in your hear what you want. You just say with your mouth in front of GGS what you want to make it clear.

In my gurdwara people pay to get their names mentioned in ardas which I totally disagree.

This problem is everywhere around the world in Modern sikhs.. They don't only ask for their names to be mentioned by paaii g Or paathi g.. Even They ask him to mention their Castenames/jathere/ Goutt too in front of SGGs...how shameful ..

I mean people do have little words changed in ardas but overall there is no big change in the original structure. I mean God already knows deep in your hear what you want. You just say with your mouth in front of GGS what you want to make it clear.

In my gurdwara people pay to get their names mentioned in ardas which I totally disagree.

This problem is everywhere around the world in Modern sikhs.. They don't only ask for their names to be mentioned by paaii g Or paathi g.. Even They ask him to mention their Castenames/jathere/ Goutt too in front of SGGs...how shameful ..

i don't think its the modern Sikhs, i think its the older bibiyan and babeh that say you MUST add your surname!

:stupidme: at the moment i feel like a hypocrite because my family always add their surname everywhere and there's no way i could possibly change their thinking so like they say if you want something done do it yourself! I just tell people my surnames Kaur so only my childhood friends really know my surname or if someone looks at my legal documents they'll know!

I remember reading somewhere that Guru Gobind Singh ji said 'who ever asks a another sikh their caste, is not Sikh of mine..' .... so i'm sure he won't be pleased if we are announcing our caste surnames in an Ardas!

For god sake the ardas is long enough because of you adding your name in and you want to make it even longer by adding your surname too! :lol:

i don't think its the modern Sikhs, i think its the older bibiyan and babeh that say you MUST add your surname!

:stupidme: at the moment i feel like a hypocrite because my family always add their surname everywhere and there's no way i could possibly change their thinking so like they say if you want something done do it yourself! I just tell people my surnames Kaur so only my childhood friends really know my surname or if someone looks at my legal documents they'll know!

I remember reading somewhere that Guru Gobind Singh ji said 'who ever asks a another sikh their caste, is not Sikh of mine..' .... so i'm sure he won't be pleased if we are announcing our caste surnames in an Ardas!

For god sake the ardas is long enough because of you adding your name in and you want to make it even longer by adding your surname too! :lol:

by modern sikhs I mean since from 19th century sikhs are losing their own place..Even at the times of baba nanak people who followed him stopped attaching themselves with their caste surnames..then why do we make excuse by only tenth Guru? its just a cheap level of hypocrisy.... Indeed castesurnames are only used as for social status these days.

our minds are poisoned in childhood telling us our gotras instead of sikhi... something like that "chal oye mundya jaake matha tek ke a jatherya te,,,"ji asi garmi di shuttiyan ch punjab nu challe. a,,jatherya de matha tekna.....enhi sharm di had kiti hoi a...jatherya utte nishaan saab b establish kitte hoye a,,guru granth sahib rakhe oye a...clan clan kari jande moorkh loki...enha pta nai ki asi indian origin toh ha te surname saadee profession te adhaar te bane a naah ki birth te... saae toh change ta hindu hi a...jedhe grow up kr gye is caste system toh

haha hor nai ta panjve cheve pardadde da naam cheta huna nai....te a ek ganda yeha gottt chete rehnda va ki saade background di nishaani a...puchan waala hove ki proof a ki aaj saada gott ohi a jedha manuwaad wele saanu milya c ..and these surnames were formed before christ haha jado din count karn lyi calender tak nai hunda c and pta b nai hunda c ki kedha event kado hoya ..and beleive karn nu poore poore tyaar a asi...ehnu kende "kanda Kaman ..Ghu*sse jaman..," ae saade lokaan da haal.

My father has the same problem he would not mind at all...and would not leave any chance to show his caste surname..ki kariye we sikh all are hungry for social status and false sense of pride. ..sikh bhaave na khaaoo,,,singh bhaave naa khaao,,,kaur bhaave na khaaoo apne aap nu...par Asi Bains a ae jaroor khona va...ae haal a meri family da...

At the end of the day..another thing that comes to my mind is that we have come out from Hindus..so its obvious that what habbit is in our blood it cannot go easily...we need 500 years more to come out from this dirty system..