Ten Facts About Sikhs In The Uk You Must Know

singhbj singh

but I seem to remember many oomplaining that those Canadian politicians abandoned sikhi to get ahead even to the extent of changing religion or marrying out to gain votes...I'd take pure unadultarated sikhi saroop as a sign of comparisons between UK and US and Canada etc

Leaving aside the fact that Canada has many times had 'Sikh' Ministers....i.e MPs with ministerial responsibility, something we UK Sikhs have yet to achieve, Canada has Amritdhari MPs, elected Amritdhari Mayors of cities and towns (i.e genuine elected Mayors with real powers, in contrast with the ceremonial and powerless appointed local mayors we have here). The point is, I agree wholeheartedly with this thread and 9 of the other facts it has stated. But 'fact' number 7, is clearly not fact.

Leaving aside the fact that Canada has many times had 'Sikh' Ministers....i.e MPs with ministerial responsibility, something we UK Sikhs have yet to achieve, Canada has Amritdhari MPs, elected Amritdhari Mayors of cities and towns (i.e genuine elected Mayors with real powers, in contrast with the ceremonial and powerless appointed local mayors we have here). The point is, I agree wholeheartedly with this thread and 9 of the other facts it has stated. But 'fact' number 7, is clearly not fact.

don't worry let's make it true then everyone will be in a much better shape

don't worry let's make it true then everyone will be in a much better shape

We, and I include myself in this, have a bit of an inferiority complex about putting ourselves forward the way the Canadian Sikhs do. Thats why, here in the UK, its always Hindu Punjabis that assume the positions of power etc.

Tell you what, do you remember quite a while ago here on this forum when we were talking about gender equality, I mentioned how Sikh women in the UK are the pioneers of the western world's equality movement.....i.e the right for women to vote, when I mentioned how Maharaja Ranjit Singh's grandaughter was so passionate about it that she used to stand on the streets of London in the early 1900's with placards demanding equal rights and organising demonstrations etc and was on of the main leaders of the suffragette movement ? D'ya remember how I talked about that ?

Well, this week I've read in the mainstream media that a Hindu Punjabi woman (anita anand) has been given a $200,000 advance by a major book publisher because she says she has recently 'unearthed' something nobody knew about....i.e the 'Sikh Suffragette'.

That $200,000 should have been mine :ohno:

We, and I include myself in this, have a bit of an inferiority complex about putting ourselves forward the way the Canadian Sikhs do. Thats why, here in the UK, its always Hindu Punjabis that assume the positions of power etc.

Tell you what, do you remember quite a while ago here on this forum when we were talking about gender equality, I mentioned how Sikh women in the UK are the pioneers of the western world's equality movement.....i.e the right for women to vote, when I mentioned how Maharaja Ranjit Singh's grandaughter was so passionate about it that she used to stand on the streets of London in the early 1900's with placards demanding equal rights and organising demonstrations etc and was on of the main leaders of the suffragette movement ? D'ya remember how I talked about that ?

Well, this week I've read in the mainstream media that a Hindu Punjabi woman (anita anand) has been given a $200,000 advance by a major book publisher because she says she has recently 'unearthed' something nobody knew about....i.e the 'Sikh Suffragette'.

I think it the whole nimrata thing ...we need to balance it with the needs of our community we've spent too long listening to hindus and gorey about how nekk and pacified we should be in the face of attack ...Princess Bamba and her sister were true daughters of Punjab they, like their father remembered late in the day who they were and opposed the manipulations of their handlers.But we know just how treacherous the central raj has always been to our kaum.

The Hindus have always sucked up to the rulers and run their games to hold onto power this has been shown again and again. We are different we serve Waheguru alone and our detachment to things means that we have not held onto our strongholds politically -a huge mistake, but now it seems the endgame is setting up stronghold in the west to take over in the east

by what I said I meant that we have become totally like the gorey in habits because that is how some agencies like to think about 'integration' whereas how we see it is retaining our religion , maa boli, and cultures whilst being a productive, positive member of the host nation e.g. army, police, professionals etc. I don't think those two examples would qualify as sikhs as they didn't Guru ji's instructions

I agree with you on that. I think its a combination of gora culture and the modern indian culture. But i dont think we should paint them all with the same brush. And never the less, they are very much a part of our community. < my point

Funny u shud mention anita anand and that book sajna, coz, she was on nihals show few days back. Here is the program.

It was a decent interview. Altho typically as a hindu panjabi, she had to change historical facts about sikhs, such as callin the treacherous dogras as sikhs. Then mentioning about how sikhs in ranjit singhs empire started in fighting.

Here is the interview, skip to 1hr 14mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04y56jm

She claims she found through pictures but 'The Maharaja's Box' was out a year prior and the whole families story was written down by Christy Campbell . This book was well advertised ... Anita is a very disingenuous person she tries to make it sound as if it is totally the SIkhs fault that the British came in.

Amazingly she thanks Nihal for his comment that the true story's interests twists and turns she is just noting down actual events . Apparently Queen Victoria's loved him so much that's why he was taken to England, not that his staying in India was considered dangerous to British Raaj. Maharaja Daleep Singh is painted as a ingrate and the only reason he comes back to sikhi is because of his rejection by English establishment, not discovery of their mistreatment of Punjabi subjects, deceit and thievery.