Exchange Student With A Sikh Family

Guest Hellios

Guest Hellios

Hi Everyone

My 13 year old cousin Jamie from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is currently a longterm exchange student living in Jammu. He is currently staying with a Gursikh family in Jammu and there has been problems. I just found out that Jamie has been insulting the patka of his host's sons who are aged 7 and 12 years respectivly. He constantly calls them doorknob heads and other insults. He has been warned by his host's that if he makes any more insults against their son's patka, they will force him to wear one as well. What should my cousin do?

Stop being a little a.s.s and be respectful... They have welcomed their home to Jamie and he comes in and starts throwing racist slurs obviously there will be a problem...

He is likely violating the agreed terms of the program in addition to being a bully. He should report himself to his exchange program, apologize immediately, and seek to understand and appreciate differences. If he does this he will likely be supported and forgiven.

If he does not proceed to report himself and apologize or tries to make up another story there is a very high likelyhood at this point that he will be dealing with expulsion and greater trouble.

Guest Jacfsing2

Your cousin is just being a bully. If I was an exchange student and the family I would have to stay with were Hindus, it wouldn't be right for me to call them idol worshippers. Sikhs have nothing against you staying in their home, but you should be respectful.

• 3 weeks later...

Hellios

Thanks for the update. Exchange experiences can be great learning adventures but even the best ones can also very stressful.

Jamie should have been provided with people whom he can contact for challenges.

Nonetheless, let him know that you or he can ask questions here. He will be supported. How long is he there? Are you much older than him?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hellios

Hi Everyone

I just want to let everyone know that Jamie has decided to come home since he is homesick and will be back in Canada in July. Anyway Jamie told me of a very unusual encounter last weekend when he was visiting City Square Mall in Jammu; he met a group of 8 Sikh teenage boys hanging out at fastfood restaurant and one of them was a gora who was wearing a patka like the other 7 teens. That gora teen who Jamie told me was named Bhavjeet Singh told Jamie that he came to India with his younger 3 year old half brother when he was 10 years old after his mother and stepfather who was of Punjabi Sikh background died in a car accident. Apparently, Bhavjeet's Stepfather's brother got custody of Bhavjeet's younger half-brother and Bhavjeet Singh himself because there were no-one on his mother's side of the family who could take him in and Bhavjeet Singh never knew his biological father as he was the product of a one night stand. Anyway to cut this story short, Jamie told me that Bhavjeet Singh told him that the events that led him to becoming a Sikh started when after a fight with his Stepfather's brother's 10 year old son, he quietly walked into the boy's bedroom with scissors that while he was sleeping and started cutting the boy's kesh. Apparently after cutting a few hairs the boy woke up and screamed which caused his father and mother to burst into the room. Bhavjeet Singh stated that his Stepfather's brother told him because of his actions his son will have to be baptised again and as punishment for cutting his son's hair, Bhavjeet will be baptised with his son. Jamie told me he asked Bhavjeet if he liked being a Sikh and the was "Yes". Bhavheet told Jamie that he loves being a Sikh and is very comfortable wearing his long hair tied in a patka.

• 6 years later...