Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jacfsing2

Gurbani Meaning.

Guest Jacfsing2

"Sabẖ ṯe vadā saṯgur Nānak jin kal rākẖī merī. ||4||10||57||" Ang 750. Does anyone know what the meaning of this line is? I've heard it be translated as 2 different things from various people.

1. "Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga"

2. "The greatest is Satguru-(Vaheguru's formless way), Nanak, he has saved my honor".

I do assume they both mean about the same, because "Joth Roop Har Aap Guroo Naanak Kehaayo ||" Ang 1408

"The Embodiment of Light, the Lord Himself is called Guru Nanak."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sorry I don't know much but to my understanding the Jot (light) of the Lord came through Guru Nanak Dev ji to put the world on the right path of Truth.

but again another's interpretation maybe Different.

• Like 1

Yes Preetji I think they are worded differently that's all, but same meaning.

Edited by simran345
  • Like 2

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Seems to be #1. Kalyug's savior is Guru Nanak Sahib. Satgur in terms of Akaal Purakh outside of the embodiment of the Ten Gurus has been a savior since the beginning of creation (all of the sakhis of the different Bhagats from other Yugs are also in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the Almighty is their savior through those ages).

It also seems odd to place a "comma" (if you will, a brief pause or break in the sentence) after Satgur, as it would place Nanak and Jin together, which seems to not break up correctly and in poetic structure, seems at odds with the rest of the Shabad. To maintain the structure of the verse with a comma after Satgur, it would require placing a comma after Karam, which renders the line strange in meaning.

Just look at the line that precedes it:

ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ॥
Giaan Dhhiaan Kishh Karam N Jaanaa Saar N Jaanaa Thaeree ||
I know nothing about wisdom, meditation and good deeds; I know nothing about Your excellence.
ਸਭ ਤੇ ਵਡਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਲ ਰਾਖੀ ਮੇਰੀ ॥੪॥੧੦॥੫੭॥
Sabh Thae Vaddaa Sathigur Naanak Jin Kal Raakhee Maeree ||4||10||57||
Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||4||10||57||
  • Like 2

Prof Sahib Singh:

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ (ਭੀ) ਤੇਰੇ (ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਸ਼ ਦੀ) ਕਦਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਾਂ ਜਾਣਦਾ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ, ਤੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਟਿਕਾਣੀ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਸਾਂ, ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਕੰਮ ਦੀ ਭੀ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸੂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ। ਪਰ (ਤੇਰੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਨਾਲ) ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਡਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ, ਜਿਸ ਨੇ ਮੇਰੀ ਲਾਜ ਰੱਖ ਲਈ (ਤੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਤੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਜੋੜ ਦਿੱਤਾ)

Guest Jacfsing2

Prof Sahib Singh:

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ (ਭੀ) ਤੇਰੇ (ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਸ਼ ਦੀ) ਕਦਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਾਂ ਜਾਣਦਾ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ, ਤੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਟਿਕਾਣੀ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਸਾਂ, ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਕੰਮ ਦੀ ਭੀ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸੂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ। ਪਰ (ਤੇਰੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਨਾਲ) ਮੈਨੂੰ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਡਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਿਲ ਪਿਆ, ਜਿਸ ਨੇ ਮੇਰੀ ਲਾਜ ਰੱਖ ਲਈ (ਤੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਤੇਰੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਜੋੜ ਦਿੱਤਾ)

I couldn't look that up on Google.

"Sabẖ ṯe vadā saṯgur Nānak jin kal rākẖī merī. ||4||10||57||" Ang 750. Does anyone know what the meaning of this line is? I've heard it be translated as 2 different things from various people.

1. "Guru Nanak is the greatest of all; He saved my honor in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga"

2. "The greatest is Satguru-(Vaheguru's formless way), Nanak, he has saved my honor".

I do assume they both mean about the same, because "Joth Roop Har Aap Guroo Naanak Kehaayo ||" Ang 1408

"The Embodiment of Light, the Lord Himself is called Guru Nanak."

Brother Jacfsing2,

in my humble opinion, the second translation(in blue above) you provide is the correct one. Because, we must bear in mind, the body of any Guru Sahiban, Gurmukh, is not the real Guru, as it also one day has to pass away.

And as Firist Patshahee, has Himself said: Shabad Guru surat dhun chela .....

So, that Power, that level of Supreme Consciousness, which is also known as Naam or Shabad, is the Aad Guru, and the real Guru, in the sense it never undergoes any changes, and it is this Swaroop of Guru jee, which takes ashore to Sach Khand, whosoever aboards that Jahaaz of Naam.

But we also love the physical temporary form of our Guru Sahibans, because we are very much to love by hugging and or just seeing the Beloved, though by hiding ourselves sometimes .... and Wahiguru Jee, knows about this our uncompleteness, of our imperfections, thus spiritually blind to see His real Swaroop of Jot, so whenver He has came, He has allowed us out of His bountless Grace, to love Him, to adore Him, to have His darshan, because after all, even the physical form of Guru jee, is a manifestation of His Shabad Swaroop...though limited for a limited time of period.

That is His mauj, which we can not demand.

But rather pray at His Lotus Feet : Deen Dayal Sachay Patshah, allow this moorakh to love You and meditate on You, so that one day with Your Grace, I can have Your darshan and hug You, just as a child hugs/embraces and loves his father or mother, and then never ever leave You.

Sat Sree Akal.