Thinking Of Cutting My Hair

Guest Crossroads

When people bring that up, about the sacrifices made etc, I don't think it's a good enough reason to try and persuade people to keep them from cutting it i.e. a guilt trip. The way I see it is that (pretty hard to explain in words) the sacrifices were for Sikhi and Sikhs (including those yet to embrace Sikhi). As a concept, showing the importance of hair and freedom of religion, not to say, look you cut your hair but Bhai Taru Singh died for it, shame on you.

In terms of leaving the cycle of birth and death, keeping it won't ensure it either but yeah I get you in terms of how important it is. I almost have no doubt that I will be coming back a multitude of times even if I keep my hair because I am no where near saint level so I'm not looking at it like that (well a part of me actually is, hence the reason for the dilemma and posting here).

I'm not going to definitely cut it, either though I am swaying that way, I'm just looking impartially at both sides of the argument.

But the difference could be coming back and having your womb inside a bhagti bibi vs a vesva.

Guest Mr Singh

I was in a similar position last year when I couldn't tie a Dastaar. I was edging towards cutting my hair but I did an Ardaas to My Guru and with the Guru's Kirpa I now know how to tie a Dastaar and I am learning more and more about Sikhi each day. My advice to you is as suggested take a Hukamnama and do an Ardaas to Guru ji.

Thanks On 1 path.

simran345: The wires were placed on my head once when I was younger to test for any muscle problem because I have been getting headaches since then wearing a pugh. The wires didn't cause it, in fact, I was diagnosed with muscle tension headaches. He tested the reflexes of my scalp muscles or something. This was when I was like 13 years old. I am 30 now, I just can't get used to it.

I am ok with scalp massages I have been doing them for a while but they have made no difference. I am also very sensitive on my forehead. I can't tie a pugh low because it becomes really uncomfortable (loose or tight). To get rid of the forehead issue I have to tie it really high but then it increases stress on my scalp. I can't seem to win either way I tie it.

For me the hair is more important than the pugh so I am trying to see if I can wear the man bun for the rest of my life. But as explained, it really doesn't suit me anymore (and I'm too vain to not to care) especially with a slightly receding hairline which it is contributing to. I actually like and admire how good the pugh looks on me but unfortunately it is a headache for me to wear.

Okji, so from what you are describing it seems the sensitivity to your forehead is caused by the muscle tension headaches.

Try to address the root of the problem, being the muscle tension.

You probably know all this already, but I'm putting a link on for you in case there is anything that may help you in it:

http://patient.info/health/headache-leaflet

Have you tried these methods?

Remember that headaches are less likely to occur in those who:

Manage their stress levels well.

Eat a balanced, regular diet.

Take balanced regular exercise.

Pay attention to posture and core muscles.

Sleep on two pillows or fewer.

Drink plenty of water.

Have plenty of sleep.

May I also suggest, if you have tried these methods, then maybe try alternative treatment such as Accupressure etc. There is a gentleman that does a program on Akaal Channel, try asking him for advice for the forehead sensitivity.

But as always, consult your doctor before trying any alternative form of treatment.

Guest Crossroads

Okji, so from what you are describing it seems the sensitivity to your forehead is caused by the muscle tension headaches.

Try to address the root of the problem, being the muscle tension.

You probably know all this already, but I'm putting a link on for you in case there is anything that may help you in it:

http://patient.info/health/headache-leaflet

Have you tried these methods?

Remember that headaches are less likely to occur in those who:

Manage their stress levels well.

Eat a balanced, regular diet.

Take balanced regular exercise.

Pay attention to posture and core muscles.

Sleep on two pillows or fewer.

Drink plenty of water.

Have plenty of sleep.

May I also suggest, if you have tried these methods, then maybe try alternative treatment such as Accupressure etc. There is a gentleman that does a program on Akaal Channel, try asking him for advice for the forehead sensitivity.

But as always, consult your doctor before trying any alternative form of treatment.

Thanks for the info. Thing is, I don't have muscle tension headaches anymore (and when I did, I think they were caused by the tension caused by my pugh as this all happened around the time i went from wearing a joora to a pugh) randomly so I don't think it is the headaches causing the sensitivity, rather it's the sensitivity that causes the headaches or head pain/irritation when wearing something on my head. I will try some of things you mentioned anyway but I think this is just something genetic and everyone is not suited to having something on their head non stop. After all, we weren't born with a pugh on. I met another Singh the other day who experiences the same problem, he can't wear a dastar because it's uncomfortable hence he just does a man bun.

On top of all the physical problems there are the psychological problems or obstacles shall i say that I mentioned too i.e. not content with a pugh when people look (temper problem) and paranoia etc. Plus the complete disconnect with bani and spirituality (and emotion in general) that I mentioned too and not feeling right when what I am on the inside does not reflect the outside anymore.

It sounds like I am making excuses but these are real problems that are affecting me at this point and what makes it worse is that I don't think I am going to be cutting my hair anytime soon because i realise it's value and purpose. So I am in limbo. Maybe I should just cut it and take it from there? I can't see how it can get any worse (disconnect with Sikhi) than it is at the moment if I do cut it. If it got bad, I could always grow it back? Maybe that would create a stronger resolve for Sikhi in me? Maybe you got to lose something before you realise its importance? I'm going through this battle everyday. 100 questions each with a valid answer from both sides of the camp. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the info. Thing is, I don't have muscle tension headaches anymore (and when I did, I think they were caused by the tension caused by my pugh as this all happened around the time i went from wearing a joora to a pugh) randomly so I don't think it is the headaches causing the sensitivity, rather it's the sensitivity that causes the headaches or head pain/irritation when wearing something on my head. I will try some of things you mentioned anyway but I think this is just something genetic and everyone is not suited to having something on their head non stop. After all, we weren't born with a pugh on. I met another Singh the other day who experiences the same problem, he can't wear a dastar because it's uncomfortable hence he just does a man bun.

On top of all the physical problems there are the psychological problems or obstacles shall i say that I mentioned too i.e. not content with a pugh when people look (temper problem) and paranoia etc. Plus the complete disconnect with bani and spirituality (and emotion in general) that I mentioned too and not feeling right when what I am on the inside does not reflect the outside anymore.

It sounds like I am making excuses but these are real problems that are affecting me at this point and what makes it worse is that I don't think I am going to be cutting my hair anytime soon because i realise it's value and purpose. So I am in limbo. Maybe I should just cut it and take it from there? I can't see how it can get any worse (disconnect with Sikhi) than it is at the moment if I do cut it. If it got bad, I could always grow it back? Maybe that would create a stronger resolve for Sikhi in me? Maybe you got to lose something before you realise its importance? I'm going through this battle everyday. 100 questions each with a valid answer from both sides of the camp. Very frustrating.

Don't worry, you are very confused in what to do, which is causing more stress. Also the guilt side is affecting ur decision. You are having some psychological problems which are also adding to the physical, thus everything seems more stressful. But take it easy, relax and take one step at a time.

I suggest you see a counsellor also about the psychological side of it. There is nothing to be ashamed about or be fearful in getting professional help regarding this. It's worth a try if it helps. Nobody can force you to keep it or cut it, that is what you will decide.

But some options are available, if you are trying some new methods then give them a bit of time to adjust, you never know they may work.

You say you don't want to cut your hair, if I read that correctly? How about covering with a long rumaal to lessen the stress which is affecting your decision making?

You need to find some spiritually advanced gursikhs. These can normally be found in places like khalsa camp/sikh2inspire or smagams by akhand keertani jatha or taksal. More sangat where keertan, simran and bani is taking place. The vibes from the sangat will rub off onto you and go inside you, effecting you.

Where abouts are you from? we can point you in the right direction.

Read inspirational books like in search of the true guru by bhai rama Singh jee (autobiography). You can read it online here: globalgurmat.com under books.

. I'm thinking this could be a permanent side effect of an SSRI I took for a year which has maybe damaged a part of my brain. This is a well known effect. So I'm wandering if keeping the hair is even going to do much in terms of what it's supposed to do i.e. make you more aware on a psychic level, more connected emotionally/spiritually etc.

What happened with the issue(s) you were taking the SSRI's for, did they get sorted out?

Guest Crossroads

Don't worry, you are very confused in what to do, which is causing more stress. Also the guilt side is affecting ur decision. You are having some psychological problems which are also adding to the physical, thus everything seems more stressful. But take it easy, relax and take one step at a time.

I suggest you see a counsellor also about the psychological side of it. There is nothing to be ashamed about or be fearful in getting professional help regarding this. It's worth a try if it helps. Nobody can force you to keep it or cut it, that is what you will decide.

But some options are available, if you are trying some new methods then give them a bit of time to adjust, you never know they may work.

You say you don't want to cut your hair, if I read that correctly? How about covering with a long rumaal to lessen the stress which is affecting your decision making?

A Part of me doesn't want to cut it but a part of me probably does. The rumall as in a patka is even worse than a dastar. It is so uncomfortable leaving a deep line on my forehead even when I don't tie it very tight.

Guest Crossroads

You need to find some spiritually advanced gursikhs. These can normally be found in places like khalsa camp/sikh2inspire or smagams by akhand keertani jatha or taksal. More sangat where keertan, simran and bani is taking place. The vibes from the sangat will rub off onto you and go inside you, effecting you.

Where abouts are you from? we can point you in the right direction.

Read inspirational books like in search of the true guru by bhai rama Singh jee (autobiography). You can read it online here: globalgurmat.com under books.

I've been around some Gursikhs before. I've never been able to get close to one. I think God keeps me away from them because I am undeserving. I feel like God has it in for me at times. I have high levels of kaam and krodh. I might try reading a book. I remember reading Sant Baba Attar Singhs autobiography once, it was interesting.

Guest Crossroads

What happened with the issue(s) you were taking the SSRI's for, did they get sorted out?

The issues were resolved mostly. By CBT. The SSRIs in my opinion only numbed me out (maybe permanently).