Nishaan Sahib Raised Outside Canadian Parliament

InderjitS

Ontario’s NDP Deputy Leader Jagmeet Singh presented and passed unanimously a motion calling on the Legislative Assembly permission to fly the Sikh Flag or Nishaan Sahib outside of Queen’s Park. The motion that the MPP from Bramelea Gore Malton Jagmeet Singh presented to the Speaker of the House read: I move that the Sikh Nishan Sahib flag be flown on the ceremonial flagpole today, April 14, and Monday, April 18.

As pleasing as a gesture for Sikhs this may be, we are talking about politicians doing this, so let's not get our kachere in a twist about something that may harbour an ulterior motive somewhere down the line. Acts such as these fall under the category of raajneeti, despite all the unique Sikh accomplishments in Canadian society.

This Trudeau fellow is a self-avowed SJW whose policies - some of them - are in direct opposition to the type of conservative Sikh teachings that form the bedrock of our beliefs. So, one has to wonder what the end-game is, because one would have to be unfeasibly optimistic or incredibly naive to believe acts such as these are selflessly charitable. I hope Canadian Sikhs retain a sense of healthy critical thinking instead of going all weak at the knees at these exercises in collective ego massaging.

Or it could all be a lovely gesture for Baisakhi, lmao!!

As pleasing as a gesture for Sikhs this may be, we are talking about politicians doing this, so let's not get our kachere in a twist about something that may harbour an ulterior motive somewhere down the line. Acts such as these fall under the category of raajneeti, despite all the unique Sikh accomplishments in Canadian society.

This Trudeau fellow is a self-avowed SJW whose policies - some of them - are in direct opposition to the type of conservative Sikh teachings that form the bedrock of our beliefs. So, one has to wonder what the end-game is, because one would have to be unfeasibly optimistic or incredibly naive to believe acts such as these are selflessly charitable. I hope Canadian Sikhs retain a sense of healthy critical thinking instead of going all weak at the knees at these exercises in collective ego massaging.

Or it could all be a lovely gesture for Baisakhi, lmao!!

I am kind of wary about Trudeau. He is one of these types that was voted in because of his father being a former prime minister and with his "good looks", he is definitely the aunties favourite.

Bill Clinton gave off a similar vibe.

There seems to be a slight male pretty boy bimbo-ness about him and I wonder if he is a front man for other agendas.

Interesting, I still do not agree with them doing that. If they were doing tapasya by the river with Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, then I think it is okay to have the Nishan Sahib ji. Why would any Sikh want attention (Nishan Sahib) to come to a place with no Sikh dharmic affiliation?? It should only be reserved for Sikh dharmic Gurdwara Sahib jis. We have the Nishan Sahib ji so we can know where the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is so we can pay our respects and do bhagti in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji's presence.. Not for politics or anything else.

I'm not really sure. Haridwar has always been a place of pilgrimage for the Hindus, but for some reason in the late 1700s it also seemed to attract Sikhs.

We can only guess why. The famous sakhi which involves Guru Nanak Dev throwing water towards the west, in parody of the Hindus throwing it towards the rising sun in the east, took place here. There is a Gurdwara there to commemorate this event, perhaps it was this that magnetized Sikhs to the town. The Sikh misldars and Maharajas often built Gurdwara Sahibs outside of the Punjab at places which had been visited by the Gurus. They may also have been drawn to the deras of the Udaasi and Nirmala Sikhs, many of whom were and still are based at Haridwar.

The Nishaan sahib was also used as a battle standard, the Sikhs armies carried it with them as they marched.

I am kind of wary about Trudeau. He is one of these types that was voted in because of his father being a former prime minister and with his "good looks", he is definitely the aunties favourite.

Bill Clinton gave off a similar vibe.

There seems to be a slight male pretty boy bimbo-ness about him and I wonder if he is a front man for other agendas.

What better way to push through questionable potential legislation once the loyalties of a particularly strong immigrant community have been secured?

"I scratch your back, you scratch mine," but when the time comes to repay the favour, will the Sikhs in his cabinet be forced to make decisions that contradict their faith? What will they choose if there's ever a choice to be made between career vs faith?

What better way to push through questionable potential legislation once the loyalties of a particularly strong immigrant community have been secured?

"I scratch your back, you scratch mine," but when the time comes to repay the favour, will the Sikhs in his cabinet be forced to make decisions that contradict their faith? What will they choose if there's ever a choice to be made between career vs faith?

If they have any anakh they will not compromise the tenets of Sikhi to fulfil Rajneetak aspirations.

Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh are not in the same party, this was initiated by the NDP member. Personally I think it's about time Sikhs got some positive press via Canada even if results in it being short lived.

Why did they do that? I though Nishan Sahib jis were nishanis of where to locate a Sikh Sri Gurdwara Sahib ji.. aka Sikh Dharmic kshetras.

The Nishan Sahib being a symbol of freedom and authority can and has been flown in places other than Dharmic Asthaans, historically it's usually been hoisted on forts after victories like during the misl period, usually though it was a Sikh Battle standard.

I see this purely as a symbolic gesture to show the Sikhs are being more readily accepted as an integral part of Canada.

Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh are not in the same party, this was initiated by the NDP member. Personally I think it's about time Sikhs got some positive press via Canada even if results in it being short lived.

On face value it's a lovely sight to behold. Wait and see I suppose. Yes, you're right about Sikhs getting positive press in Canada. Makes a change from the drug warfare and related nonsense.

Of course it can be used by Sikhs for that use as well. But I fail to see what the Nishan Sahib ji has to do with the law in Canada. & I do not think that we Sikhs fight physical wars anymore, especially here in the west. So what does the Nishan Sahib really have to do with the Canadian Parliament?? It seems disrespectful to me in a way for them to do that, I feel that they do not see the worth of the Nishan Sahib ji.

Sorry I do not see the disrespect with this gesture at all. Please share your thoughts with Jagmeet Singh, he has every social media account under the sun or at http://www.jagmeetsingh.ca/contact_us%C2'> :biggrin2:

Nishan Sahib also represents freedom.

The parliament has nothing to do with Sikhi.. So that is why it is disrespecting the Nishan Sahib ji aka using it for a non dharmic motive.

No it's not disrespecting Sikhi. You should be proud that it is flown there. That means they respect it, and thus Sikhi too, if they doing that, doesn't it.

You are in Canada Preet ji, if it's affecting you that much, contact Jagmeet Singh, and ask him those questions, as Inderjit Paji says. Meeting karlo koi.,