Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simran345

Gurbani Kirtan - Disabilities

Recommended Posts

Oh my God, so many replies.  It's going take me 2days to read them. Ok calm down, don't all reply at once, take your time 😏

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2

Gurdwaras should encourage it, do we expect them to do this? No. Gurdwaras need to be doing that which helps anyone in the form of Seva.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there has been a long standing tradition of soorma kirtaniyas throughout our history so I do not see why not . It may be difficult for less able bodied to sit for long periods so maybe teach them where they can be seated on chair/wheelchair with the instruments supported at correct height .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

there has been a long standing tradition of soorma kirtaniyas throughout our history so I do not see why not . It may be difficult for less able bodied to sit for long periods so maybe teach them where they can be seated on chair/wheelchair with the instruments supported at correct height .

That's what I was thinking penji, as if the classes are held in Darbar Sahib then there will be a problem regarding sitting etc.  But it would be nice to see them integrate with normal able bodied sangat too, so maybe have the classes together. 

 

15 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Gurdwaras should encourage it, do we expect them to do this? No. Gurdwaras need to be doing that which helps anyone in the form of Seva.

I was thinking there's lots of people with health conditions sitting at home probably watching tv and I think it's a good idea if they are also encouraged to mix with normal sangat and encourage them to attend Kirtan and musical instrument classes, as part of the sangat.  Why shouldn't Gurdwaras encourage it, where it is for normal bodied sangat? This will also help them connect to Sikhi, and learn Gurbani.  Whether you like it or not, they are also part of the sangat.  

Obviously, disabled people would only do what they can manage within their limits, but I feel they should be encouraged to also participate where possible. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, simran345 said:

That's what I was thinking penji, as if the classes are held in Darbar Sahib then there will be a problem regarding sitting etc.  But it would be nice to see them integrate with normal able bodied sangat too, so maybe have the classes together.

 

I was thinking there's lots of people with health conditions sitting at home probably watching tv and I think it's a good idea if they are also encouraged to mix with normal sangat and encourage them to attend Kirtan and musical instrument classes, as part of the sangat.  Why shouldn't Gurdwaras encourage it, where it is for normal bodied sangat? This will also help they connect to Sikhi, and learn Gurbani.  

you could in theory have sections to the stage(top) which can be removed to fit in the wheelchair/seat for the kirtaniya to be same level as the other people on stage , it's not really rocket science . As for cleanliness then just keep wheelchairs for this purpose on hand .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

you could in theory have sections to the stage(top) which can be removed to fit in the wheelchair/seat for the kirtaniya to be same level as the other people on stage , it's not really rocket science . As for cleanliness then just keep wheelchairs for this purpose on hand .

Yes, that's all fine in theory, but maybe it will be more difficult in practice.  But if the article above as suggests Guruji also encouraged it, then Gurdwaras should also too, but then there's the costs of making adjustments, which I can't see committees doing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simran345 said:

Yes, that's all fine in theory, but maybe it will be more difficult in practice.  But if the article above as suggests Guruji also encouraged it, then Gurdwaras should also too, but then there's the costs of making adjustments, which I can't see committees doing. 

Maybe you can just  secure the promise from committee that it will be allowed then do a direct  benti to sangat , maybe they will offer services for free for conversion of stage and fund the chairs , have faith in sangat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Maybe you can just  secure the promise from committee that it will be allowed then do a direct  benti to sangat , maybe they will offer services for free for conversion of stage and fund the chairs , have faith in sangat.

I would also like to see more Heath awareness sessions being held at the Gurdwaras, for all sangat, not just those with health conditions and disabilities.

Some Gurdwaras are starting to hold sessions of these and having talks, which creates awareness and gets them involved in sangat environment too.  

 

Saw this on FB, think it's a great idea:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st time I've seen this post, what a fantastic idea. Be worth approaching local committee to see if they are willing to support this initiative. Aside from soorma Singh's teaching and performing kirtan and Prof Surinder Singh who walks with a stick, all other kirtanis I've come across have been able bodied.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, InderjitS said:

1st time I've seen this post, what a fantastic idea. Be worth approaching local committee to see if they are willing to support this initiative. Aside from soorma Singh's teaching and performing kirtan and Prof Surinder Singh who walks with a stick, all other kirtanis I've come across have been able bodied.

Read my message to you in Inbox paji. I didn’t know Prof Surinder Singh walked with a stick. There’s Bhai Lakhwinder Singh too, I think he has visual problems, but I’m not sure what exactly. And Sant Harbans Singh ji, I remember seeing him when I was younger, playing an instrument. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Good idea as it encourages other adults to learn kirtan too, as in if they can do it and they are struggling with certain issues then why cant I?

Puts out a message of equality too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, simran345 said:

There’s Bhai Lakhwinder Singh too, I think he has visual problems, but I’m not sure what exactly.

Bhai Sahib is blind, these are called soorma Singh's. 

There is a well known kirtani school aka Vadda Dera established in 1859 by Sant Shuddh Singh and later for the visually impaired in Daudhar pind, Moga Dist. Kirtanis such as Gian Singh Surjeet who are no longer with us trained there and I might need to be corrected but I think Sital Singh Sitara as well. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, InderjitS said:

Bhai Sahib is blind, these are called soorma Singh's. 

There is a well known kirtani school aka Vadda Dera established in 1859 by Sant Shuddh Singh and later for the visually impaired in Daudhar pind, Moga Dist. Kirtanis such as Gian Singh Surjeet who are no longer with us trained there and I might need to be corrected but I think Sital Singh Sitara as well. 

 

That’s great paji, I’m trying to find a YouTube video on it, but doesn’t seem to be one. Although they do have a fb Page. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Ideally we wouldn't have to run off to these countries.
    • Oh and get this. Apparently there was a great slaughter at the first thanksgiving that broke out over exactly this, and that thanskgiving is symbolic of that after the prolonged violence stemming from that subsided. Call it..a ritual meal. To remember that by.  And this type of um..greater religous freedom in the new world was that the mayflower pilgrims brought.  Kalyug bro. Like you never wake up and expect to have that conversation. 
    • If some crazy thing goes down like I said I heard above I think we will be surprised the variety of people who will not say that even if it means death and those that will. You would have seemingly religous and totally non religous seeming people walking both ways.  If violence ever comes Degh Tegh Fateh. Especially our Bhenji. Please make it so we can recognize you. 
    • Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhinderwale Shaheed speaks of Anand Karaj among other things in this blessed video.   
    • I ask because of this.  I've recently had it...intimated to me by someone I know.. that if I want to survive, but live a harsher but more "equal" life that I may want to consider being ready and willing to swear that God does not exist. As basically belief in Vaheguru Akal Purakh in any iteration will be considered a mental illness punishable by immediate genocide by...and get this... Being sawn in half...from top down.. Now where have we seen that before? In this new world only satanists and their atheist cattle will survive.  And that "Covid 19" and many things for a long time, and many things lately are coming to bear? This world is a trip bro. Never thought I'd have that conversation, especially with someome who I think actually considers me a friend and was doing it for my good lol.  In fact I have something to do with a Shastar that that person gave me right now. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use