Guest Craig

Baby girls name -Thurren

Guest Craig

Hi all,

was hoping for ur help, we were on holiday and met a Sikh couple who had a little girl called 'thurren'. We love the name and r considering it for our own baby. Think I'm spelling it wrongly as we can't ding any trace of it. Is this a name any of u have heard of? Thanks in advance 😀

• Like 2

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes I think some ppl in America have named their kids taran but pronounce it "tear-in" the Sikh pronounciation would be "trr-un"

• Like 2

Guest another idea

Hi Craig, yes the name is definitely the one usually spelt Taran in the west but actually pronounced as you wrote it "thurr-run".

Another idea for your daughter could be to give her the middle name Kaur (which means princess). Many inspiring stories of female heroes with that name such as Mata Gujjar Kaur and Mata Bhag Kaur.

https://www.thoughtco.com/warrior-princess-mai-bhago-bhag-kaur-2993588

https://www.thoughtco.com/mata-gujri-history-2993589

All the best

• Like 3

Guest Craig

Thanks so much, that's really helpful! So nice of u to take the time to post those links as well 😀

• Like 2

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, Guest vjkkvjkf said:

the closes i can come up with is Taran maybe? It's a typical Sikh name

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, jkvlondon said:

My sister's another version of this name Taranjit 

Ha lol my name is Taranjot.

VJKK VJKF

I would go with 'Simran'

Just incase someone pronounces a name like this:

"Tara-aaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaa-n-jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

(I wonder over all my non-punjabi teachers)

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

6 hours ago, monatosingh said:

I would go with 'Simran'

Yea lol I've had some weird and wonderful pronunciations of my name before especially from supply teachers! lmao...

Simran is a nice name but its really common. My baba made sure that me and my siblings got quite unique names: Prabhmeet is my brothers name..

VJKK VJKF 

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

6 hours ago, monatosingh said:

I would go with 'Simran'

The weirdest I've ever had my name said before is: Taaronjot.

VJKK VJKF

18 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

Yea lol I've had some weird and wonderful pronunciations of my name before especially from supply teachers! lmao...

Simran is a nice name but its really common. My baba made sure that me and my siblings got quite unique names: Prabhmeet is my brother's name

Names are meant to be unique in my opinion. A rather unique name I have heard in a while is "Gurbhagat".

That's why some people say not to shorten names to nicknames. The name will lose it's value. 

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Guest Kaur 2 said:

VJKK VJKF

The weirdest I've ever had my name said before is: Taaronjot.

VJKK VJKF

The worst part is when you have been correcting them for a year or more after they read your name in the register and they got it wrong all the time.

"It will come to me next time!".

1 hour ago, monatosingh said:

The worst part is when you have been correcting them for a year or more after they read your name in the register and they got it wrong all the time.

"It will come to me next time!".

Some mutually exclusive cultures, pride themselves on their ignorance unfortunately.