Amritdhari women don't get jobs here?

Simran9

sangat ji

I was having discussion sort of with my parents bout wanting to at least try to become a proper sikh, in other words, hoping to shako amrit some day. We had a wedding reception to go to and my mom was like "go tweeze your eyebrows." and I was like I don't wanna do it, cuz I hadn't done it for a few weeks and it was quite obvious....anyway...they go on to tell me that in these foreign countries its like practically impossible to be a gursikh. Ppl who have shako'd amrit are running liquor stores and selling cigarettes to ppl--->how is that being a gursikh?

then they said that americans here would not wanna hire a amritdhari women with dastaar cuz she looks different. They would think she was hella old fashion or something and doesn' have much personality juz cuz she has a unibrow or something.

then they gave me examples from our family. I have a distant sorta chachi ji, the whole family shako'd amrit, and basically since that day she hasn't been able to get a job anywhere. my chacha ji drives a truck, so its ok for him, but chachi ji isn't getting hired anywhere, and its been 4 years probably. She's been at home juz looking after her kids.

they gave me example of my cousins in england. 4 sisters and a brother. one sister got married to a amritdhari singh and so now she is also amritdhari and wears a dastaar. since then she hasn't gotten a job anywhere. her other sisters...they have jobs. She's also basically juz stay at home mom now....

long story short, their point is that no one can actually be a proper sikh in these foreign countries cuz the lifestyle doesn't let you. IF you're gonna b

e a sikh and japo waheguru all day and do paath and all that, you won't be able to do your job and feed your family. they ended the whole thing with: its easy to be a proper sikh in india cuz over there it doesn't matter, its easier to follow rehat maryada, keep kesh, have dastaar, etc, etc, its your own country., blah blah...

i really lost my one hope in life..... :wub:

please.....someone tell me this can't be true stuff...... pray.gif .......or else i'm gonna feel like :'(

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know theres a amrithari singhni (on bay street toronto) working as a lawyer ($$$)...

... i know lots of amrithari singhni's in brampton / toronto area that work... an havent had any problem at all

dont worry, once u put ur faith in waheguru, he'll take care of u,, no need to stress or worry...

dont let anyone discourage you

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

BhainJi I've seen a lot of AmritDhari Woman with great jobs. Again as Sikh Soldier said I've seen all this in the Toronto Area. People here are very open minded and understanding. They dont get discouraged because ur AmritDhari, im not sure how it is in U.S.A. However here I dont see the discrimanation that your talking about. So dont worry. you always have options. :TH:

** actually a lot of people look up to you and are very curious about our religion. They have a lot of questions and want to learn. We were discussing this in one of the other posts that the people who discourage you will turn out to be our own people. You'll find that people from other cultures will be very curious, and if you help them to understand who you are and why u believe in what u do then it will be easier for you to get into the work force as well as making it easier for others :wub:

good luck! :nihungsmile:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Hanji - Here the good old JUK I have never heard of a gursikh singhni have problems getting a job either........ dont worry Bhenji stay in Chardee Kala and stick to Sikhi that is the most important thing :TH: :TH: :TH:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

Interesting topic but it only shows how little faith Sikhs have in their Guru these days... Go back to the time of the chote Sahibzade, all 4 of them were younger in age than you but look at how much faith they had in Guru Sahib. Look at the shaheed of Bhai Mati Das Ji, Bhai Sati Das ji, Bhai Dyala Ji, Baba Deep Singh Ji, Bhai Mani Singh ji, Bhai Taru Singh, and thousands of other Singhs/Kaurs who chose death over leaving Sikhi. Now today when we happen to face a little problem we go on blaming the current situation. Actually there's nothing wrong with the world that we live in, or the society that we have around us, the fault is only ours because we have lost all the faith in Guru Sahib. This is why our condition is so bad.. You are free to not wear a dastar, thread your eyebrows but how long can this continue? Someday this will have to stop... either now when you are alive.. or afterwards.. in Guru Ji's darbar.. We are all part of the Panth and it's our responsibility that we stand up for it. If we all were to take the easy way out then who will work for the betterment of the Panth? If you think the time is not right to practise Sikhi, what will happen to your kids? If we won't solve these things now, they'll have to face the the same problems.

So the only answer is to take a stand for Sikhi and have faith in Guru Ji. Do not turn ur back towards Guru Sahib just because you think you will find it hard to find a job or anything else.

Rest is upto you, and as others have said, times are much better now. I personally know many Singhnees who not only wear dastars to work b

ut also proper baana. And they live in the western countries. So phain ji, if you think you will occur any problems then do ardas to Guru Sahib. Our world is not limited to one or two jobs, when Guru Sahib does kirpa it will be hard for you to even take care of all the blessings that you get from him in your in your current and after life.

You might think that not wearing a dastar is an option for you, but what about Singhs? What are we supposed to do? Take off our dastars aswell, wear pony tails, just like our sisters are doing? What will happen to the image of the Panth if that happens?

Remember:

jb lg ^wlsw rhy inAwrw ]

qb lg qyj kIau mYN swrw ]

jb ieh ghY ibprn kI rIq ]

mYN n kroN ien kI pRqIq ]

prmysr qy BuilAW ivAwpin sBy rog ]

paramaesar thae bhuliaaa(n) viaapan sabhae rog ||

Forgetting the Transcendent Lord, all sorts of illnesses are contracted.

vymuK hoey rwm qy lgin jnm ivjog ]

vaemukh hoeae raam thae lagan janam vijog ||

Those who turn their backs on the Lord shall be separated from Him and consigned to reincarnation, over and over again.

Remember, its a warning from Guru ji, that once we start drifting away from th

e values of the nirmal Khalsa Panth, our end will be near.

Rest is upto you to decide.

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

long story short, their point is that no one can actually be a proper sikh in these foreign countries cuz the lifestyle doesn't let you.
IMHO, this is actually a non-point! Lifesytyle is personal choice and we can exercise freedom of religion/worship moreso here than in India!
they ended the whole thing with: its easy to be a proper sikh in india cuz over there it doesn't matter, its easier to follow rehat maryada, keep kesh, have dastaar, etc, etc, its your own country., blah blah...
Better inform/ remind them of 84 and atocricies committed against 'everyday' Sikhs even before that and to this day....

Our rehit is what gives us strength. It makes you unique...an individual yet part of an intrinsically honest and hard-working community. The qualities of pure Sikhi are just what any good employer would want; so Sikhi being a logical and natural way-of-life, just remember: if your primary focus is following your Guru , all the rest will fall into place. With our code of conduct #1 In fact, if you have changi bhavnaa, all these other things magger-mugur firdian hai!

When going for jobs, recruiters aren't looking for boring conformists (as in weak sheep who follow the flock with no sense of direction of their own). They want people who show initiative, can take a stand and also follow a company's code of conduct. Whilst it is Maharaaj's hukam to do kirat kamai, our first and foremost duty lies towards the prime 'Khalsa company'! If you do this, Guru ji will help you in many ways themselves- He is your best possible reference!

From my personal experience, it is precisely my baana and the persona associated with it that has landed me and my sister in good jobs. Anyway, all good companies want/ have it in their personnel statements for ehnic groups and religions to be equally represented. School and work always got me involved with press releases!!! blush.gif

then they said that americans here would not wanna hire a amritdhari women with dastaar cuz she looks different. They would think she was hella old fashion or something and doesn' have much personality juz cuz she has a unibrow or something.
This is very narrow-minded thinking based on superficial 'principles'. God has made everyone 'different', otherwise we'd be clones! Is this really the sad shallow state the majority of our Panjabi ppl are turning into?

Tell your parents about Bibi Inderjit Kaur- she has worked as a much respected advisor of Hilary Clinton.

Good luck in your pursuit

s and endeavors. :TH:

Don't worry...CHARDEE KALAA!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

thanx sangate....keep the replies coming cuz i need the boost ^_^

btw, I forgot to mention another thing they said. They said that "babey" (baba jis, as in bhai jis who are granthi jis, or other bhai jis who do katha/keertan/kavisher/any sikhi parchaar as their full time job sorta) are "veley." They mean to say that these guys have nothing else to do except sikhi da parchaar. For them its easy to be amritdhari and maintain rehit maryada. But the rest of us folk gotta work somewhere...so we can't maintian that properly... :wub: @