Everyones opinion needed

Nama Singh

VJKK VJKF

Somewhat of a dilemma i am hoping the learned GurSikhs on this forum can help with.

Recently, following the departure of Gianni Amolak Singh from his mortal body, the funeral as many know took place on Saturday. Photos were taken and although i wasnt sure whether the photos of the actual body should be posted online, they were posted after asking a few of my close learned friends in sangat. The reason for this being that there were many requests made by the sangat for photos, audio, video etc of the funeral and i know there were a few who were upset as they could not make it.

On the whole, the reaction has been quite positive from sangat. However, there has been a lil complaint from someone who wrote a polite email asking that these photos be taken down.

Its one of these difficult situations... what do you think?

Please post your thoughts.

I am just wondering if he was buried (ie as in normal funeral) or cremated?

sorry.. blush.gif is it okey to do either of them in Sikhi

and i am not sure about posting photos online. perhaps a last photo is alright, but the whole funeral shouldn't be "posted" online as it is very sensitive issue...and people may have strong emotions/feelings, so still i am not sure.

could you answay by questions please. thanks.

'Normal'? Not in Sikhi!!
imtI muslmwn kI pyVY peI kuim@Awr

mittee musalamaan kee paerrai pee kumihaaar ||

The clay of the Muslim's grave becomes clay for the potter's wheel.

Our bodies are just shells containing our souls. Yet, even the bodies of Gurmukhs are pavittar- they are like the temples which housed their Aatman. Giani ji's body was cremated.

Some mahapurkhs request jal parvah i.e. bodies thrown into river, not just ashes after cremation. Reasons for this may be so that their body is useful to other creatures (who feed on it rather than just decaying) and also so that people don't start worshipping where there the funeral pyre was.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh...!!

I agree with simran9... u can't make people from both sides happy.. if u don't have the pics up... ur gonna have MANY people upset.. and if u DO have the pics up.. ur gonna upset one or a few people... i's their choice to go to the site...and like u said... for those who didn't attend the funeral.. they probably wanna see the pics...

personally... i would suggest u keep them on...

Take Care...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Aman Ji - I dont see any problem in keeping them there - as Bhen Ji said its is a persons choice - if they want to see them they have that option available if they dont, then they dont need to click the link. Simple As.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest KirtanLover

WJKK WJKF

I personally think that the pics are ok to be up there. These are original pics that depict what the actual situation was. These pics also help in reinforcing the eternal truth that this body is a shell and the soul will leave it one day. The pics also further make people realise that this body which we think is ours is not ours. It is given by Akal Purakh and as per the hukum of Akal Purakh will be consigned to flames so IMHO the pics should remain up. i don't know if the person who has politely asked to take them off has a better reaon behind their request.

WJKK WJKF

'Normal'? Not in Sikhi!!

Obviously....i meant the funeral as in western world. i have never used the word funeral for Sikhs, so that was strange for me. my misunderstanding.

Aman bhaji, you are always doing great seva and this is also good. ^_^ either way, it shouldn't be taken so seriously.

So, the Sikh way of departing with the physically dead is through cremation (as is normal)? the reason why i asked is: i also thought that Sikhs could chose, but since the tradition of cremation was followed in India, Sikhs used that way and that in the west/or other places, the dead could be buried. so i was wrong :yehyehyeh:

bhul chuk maaf ji